• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ANYDVD HD is asking for the Region

CountryBumkin

As I was getting ready to rip my movie ("Logan", I think it was) a popup came up asked me to select the Region. It gave me several choices including "none" (or some wording like that). I've ripped a lot of BDs (ANYDVD HD with CloneBD) and this has never come up before. Maybe due to a Windows update?

Should I always enter the actual Region the disk is made for, or can I just select None?
Does it matter?
What happens if I say "None"?

I wasn't sure what region I'm in - I haven't seen this come up since my days of DVD ripping (years ago).
I looked all over the back of the BD case and found an "A" - so that is what I entered. I'm in the USA.
I think all of USA and Canada are the same Region but I forget how the whole region thing works.

Unless you are using an imported disc, or plan on playing the title on a different region player there's little reason to remove the region. That said, (as the forum search will tell you) you MUST specify the DISCs region, if you're removing BD regions. NOT the region YOU are in

specifying "region free" when it is region protected > useless copy
specifying the wrong region (B on a region A disc) > useless copy
speciying the "missing" region (B, on an AC disc) > useless copy
Packaging mentions multi-region (AB, ABC,AC...) > Specifying any region will do

So yes it does matter what you select. In, fact it's very important as doing it wrong will render the backup / rip unplayable. If the packing does not mention a region specifically, it's recommended to specify the region you picked up the disc. That way you can't end up with a faulty backup. The USA = Region A (1 for DVD's)

DVD region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
BD region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes

I guess I need to search the forum.

I still don't understand why this Region popup appeared. I'm not doing anything different then with my previous BD rips. I only rip to MKV and play at home. As far as I know I am "not removing" the Region unless that is a default setting in AnyDVD HD.

Ok, so I'll do some forum searching and see if can figure this out on my own before I waste anymore of your time.
Thanks.

I only rip to MKV.

If you only ever rip to MKV then the region won't matter, you can just disable region removal in AnyDVD if you wanted.

specifying "region free" when it is region protected > useless copy

Just a note - If you specify "region free" AnyDVD will actually do nothing, so the disc would still play fine in the region it's locked to :)

I still don't understand why this Region popup appeared. I'm not doing anything different then with my previous BD rips. I only rip to MKV and play at home. As far as I know I am "not removing" the Region unless that is a default setting in AnyDVD HD.

Ok, so I'll do some forum searching and see if can figure this out on my own before I waste anymore of your time.
Thanks.

It's under your Settings - Video Blu-Ray - Blu-Ray Region. Check if it's on 'Always Ask' or 'Automatic'.

Thanks.
In some cases AnyDvDHD cannot determine what region the disc is for. Can be several reasons for this.
I have mine set to ALWAYS ASK. And I just tell it what region the disc is for.

Back