• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD for Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, still can't. Only VideoLAN can (but it's still buggy)

And here we are at the start of the discussion: The maintainers of the Linux Kernel condemn closed source drivers. They don't want them, and they argue that closed source kernel modules are a GPL violation.

So, they won't get them. ;)

They don't want closed source drivers? WHO CARES! The kernel is GPL, but external NON-GPL modules are evidently allowed!

BTW, can mplayer play Video DVDs with navigation and menus? Last time I checked, it couldn't.

of course it can, like as vlc, and kaffeine (xine-lib). Every use libdvdnav to do that. But in some distros mplayer is not compiled with dvdnav support (just compile yourself). The first official merge of dvdnav was in 2002 with xine, that is currently the reference player. (see http://dvd.sourceforge.net )

Last edited:
For James' rhetorical question regarding mPlayer and Adbear's comments about playback of files:
mPlayer is the WORST thing you can use to play any kind of pre-designed disc under Linux. I use Totem for playback of decrypted HD and B*. Playback with menus in place and everything. Using a ripped image on the hard drive, a cloned disc image mounted from a ripped image, or a non-decrypted disc dump mounted with AnyDVD-HD running, with all the available codecs in place, the only place I find trouble is with certain AC3 audio tracks. I have the same issue with them under Windows.

That's all terribly interesting, especially considering I already know that...

I wasn't directly commenting to you, just using that post as a jumping board. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.

The point was for others that keep asking; that AnyDVD-HD DOES run under some emulators or file libraries in order to use pre-ripped or cloned images. It's useless for reading disc drives, but it picks up mounted images just fine and decrypts just fine. It's a way to make things work... for now! I haven't tried using CloneCD on a B* or HD-DVD disc yet, so that may or may not work; I still haven't found a way to make it stable under Linux yet.

>>>To use your AnyDVD-HD software and play HD and B* discs on Linux:<<<

Prerequisite: A windows emulator or not an emulator. Wine works best so far for me. Other like Free Win and the like work too though hit-or-miss. You'll be asked to install dependencies along the way as usual. Some (rare) distros still don't include disc image mounting software, if not head over to your distro's package repository and pick out one you like (they're often "restricted").
I won't point to links directly because it's always best to use your own distro's app-get function.

1) Dump the raw contents of disc to a bin-cue,
2) Load up an emulator or "not an emulator"
3) Install AnyDVD-HD using the emulator's installer, often from the task menu button. I can't make that clear enough! Do not use an emulator's general support function (double click install integration).
4)Mount the image
5) Run AnyDVD-HD
6) Load Totem or any other for-Linux-primary disc player that supports AVCHD and BDR discs, play disc, and download anything you are asked to for compatibility.

Really, it's that straight forward. :D
There are still some compatibility with the less common audio formats used on a few discs, but most of what I have plays fine.

ok, but for that already exists dumpHD, for free...

Here we are talking about on-the-fly decryption.

But thanks for the Totem news! Now WE DO HAVE a player for HD content!

Last edited:
Well, let me explain it in this way...

AnyDVD protects itself from users that only try to get those secret keys. And for that it uses some kernel functionality. If we create a linux version then those keys are no longer save. They get extracted, a new opensource project is created or that already available libaacs gets updated and the rest (meaning AnyDVD) is thrown away.

Except that AACS keys get revoked all the time, and new ones get generated. AIUI that's part of the benefit of AnyDVD HD: as new keys get generated and assigned by the AACS-LA, AnyDVD HD makes them available to legit users.

If you're really set on it though, it sounds like you're looking for secure, encrypted memory. For that you probably ought to look at how GnuPG does secure memory, then see about building something similar to (but improved upon) the glibc memfrob(). I don't know what Windows has to encrypt memory or how it compares to memfrob(), but I'm fairly certain whatever Microsoft has come up with, it wouldn't be too difficult for a decent cryptographer to come up with something just as good or better.

On top of that, you might check out shiva or elf-encrypter (both are userland):

http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5XP041FA0U.html
http://elf-encrypter.sourceforge.net/

As far as the arguments concerning what current FOSS software can actually do with the decrypted content, that should change quickly enough once decrypted HD content is readily available. The main problem holding back the FOSS world from doing what AnyDVD HD does is the DMCA and similar anti-circumvention laws, which have actually been considerably strengthened worldwide since DeCSS. Obviously that severely compromises our development manpower.

lostinlodos: Which engine do you use with Totem: xine or gstreamer?

whatever is included in the latest "unstable" Ubuntu distro. I pulled it directly out of the iso, dumped the source and ported it to everything I use. I'm not sure what the core is but I'll check on that tonight. All the codecs and dependencies I pulled from (or mostly from) the restricted repositories that are suggested in the Ubuntu and Debian forums.

So people using linux already have to put a lot of effort in playing BDs. Using Windows (VMware Windows) to decrypt the disc is just another tiny layer of effort.

Sad but true. I think I'm about as big a linux advocate out there short of thinking vendors should do things not in their interest (sorry RMS, _some_ code can be unfree and still be a good thing). (The fact that I've watched most of my HD-DVDs/BDs off a windowless mythbox says something about that. Or stuborness.)

It seems SlySoft has thought about this very seriously and I don't see a good argument to get them to change their mind.

On the other hand ... to answer the clarion call for a SlySoft player, it might make business sense to bring mplayer up to snuff (or a fork thereof depending how difficult the ffmpeg svn keepers are this month) as it would make your core products that much more attractive and (might) not take all that much effort.

One thing though about AnyDVD needing kernel mode obfuscation .... I'm not sure how actively anyone has tried to lift keys out of your program but it seems you must, just like the studios, end up giving your customers a plaintext message. From a cyphertext message. So somewhere along the line you gave out the key. And not having been able to revoke the laws of physics by making copying not copying (buff to buff) and so on ... just lets say I'm skeptical about the effectiveness of all of this kind of thinking.

BTW, can mplayer play Video DVDs with navigation and menus? Last time I checked, it couldn't.

I typically use the mythtv internal player which has good menu and nav support for standard def DVDs (which naturally calls ffmpeg like probably most things out there possibly violating the license)

mplayer by default won't do that; it can be compiled with --enable-libdvdnav but that's far from flawless and problem prone for the rest of mplayer (which is why it's disabled by default).

Ogle and Xine had ok support last I use them.

I typically use the mythtv internal player which has good menu and nav support for standard def DVDs (which naturally calls ffmpeg like probably most things out there possibly violating the license)

mplayer by default won't do that; it can be compiled with --enable-libdvdnav but that's far from flawless and problem prone for the rest of mplayer (which is why it's disabled by default).

Ogle and Xine had ok support last I use them.

I've installed the .deb based mythtv complete package myth_deb_com which has all the mythtv files install together with -i --f d forced ignores, partly required for the kaffe issue, but I never figured out how to call up the player! :eek: Any idea where the player itself gets dropped on the system tree? I just can't find the **** thing.

The original purpose of this was about AnyDVD running under Linux. To be honest the question has been asked and answered numerous times with input from different Slysoft developers which is beyond enough. We're beating a dead horse. If people wish to continue the discussion then please keep the discussion really on-topic. Compiler settings to build a DVD player under Linux are not on-topic for the purpose of this thread.

Stay on topic or the thread will be closed. Reading this thread is like watching a gerbil on a wheel going nowhere.

Last edited:
Stay on topic or the thread will be closed. Reading this thread is like watching a gerbil on a wheel going nowhere.

Well, actually we went somewhere:

it has been confirmed that decrypted HD media can be normally played on linux, for example with the Totem player. This makes AnyDVD-HD very appetible to linux users.

Next SlySoft team claimed that does not exist the same security level on linux as on windows, so that keys could be easily extracted.

But that's not a problem because "AACS keys get revoked all the time, and new ones get generated. AIUI that's part of the benefit of AnyDVD HD: as new keys get generated and assigned by the AACS-LA, AnyDVD HD makes them available to legit users."
SlySoft should know that.

And for what concern encryption of memory and additional security layers it has been suggested:
If you're really set on it though, it sounds like you're looking for secure, encrypted memory. For that you probably ought to look at how GnuPG does secure memory, then see about building something similar to (but improved upon) the glibc memfrob(). I don't know what Windows has to encrypt memory or how it compares to memfrob(), but I'm fairly certain whatever Microsoft has come up with, it wouldn't be too difficult for a decent cryptographer to come up with something just as good or better.

On top of that, you might check out shiva or elf-encrypter (both are userland):

http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5XP041FA0U.html
http://elf-encrypter.sourceforge.net/

And here the constructive discussion stopped, still waiting for the technical opinion of SlySoft about this last suggestion.

I thought AACS keys only got revoked 4 times a year, so that means that as soon as Slysoft crack it, it goes onto a linux version and if it's easier for someone to extract the main key then all of a sudden lots of other people have access to that key and then Slysoft have to wait 3 months until another key is brought out then go thru the whole thing again

Well, actually we went somewhere

I don't really agree but alright.

Next SlySoft team claimed that does not exist the same security level on linux as on windows, so that keys could be easily extracted.

But that's not a problem because "AACS keys get revoked all the time, and new ones get generated. AIUI that's part of the benefit of AnyDVD HD: as new keys get generated and assigned by the AACS-LA, AnyDVD HD makes them available to legit users."
SlySoft should know that.

I believe you are misinterpreting things.

And here the constructive discussion stopped, still waiting for the technical opinion of SlySoft about this last suggestion.

Slysoft has replied to such discussion and explained why they haven't released a Linux product. Numerous developers have replied. I'm sure they have looked at things and debated it themselves. You are not the first to ask for this or offer suggestions.

Slysoft will not release a kernel driver that is not GPL'ed and they won't release a GPL'ed driver so that's not going to happen that way. Slysoft takes this seriously and isn't going to be like NVIDIA and release their driver without doing what they should. Maybe they will take another approach but I'm sure they have to weigh their options and see if the solution is feasible and worth the effort without more negatives than positives.

I thought AACS keys only got revoked 4 times a year, so that means that as soon as Slysoft crack it, it goes onto a linux version and if it's easier for someone to extract the main key then all of a sudden lots of other people have access to that key and then Slysoft have to wait 3 months until another key is brought out then go thru the whole thing again

I believe this is a concern, yes. The issue of security and keys isn't about the AACS LA. The concern is about other people using Slysoft's work for themselves.

Last edited:
I'd really like to close this thread for 3 days so people start to read instead of just posting the same again and again. And I'm happy that at least DrinkLyeAndDie gets the point.

If someone seconds that... ?!

I'd really like to close this thread for 3 days so people start to read instead of just posting the same again and again.

They'll just create new threads. Most of this stuff has been repeated before. Mac and Linux threads are always created.

If someone seconds that... ?!

I don't care if this thread is closed. But I guarantee someone will eventually create a new one. It's not as though the average person reads stickies before posting. So why would they search before posting?

But yeah, this has been discussed enough for now. Slysoft has their reasons.

Thread closed. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back