• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD for Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when I play back Blu-ray I like to be able to access the HD audio tracks. Some films only have 1 English audio track, which you would need to convert down to AC3 to be able to hear in Linux. And like I said it's not playing back a Blu-ray, rather just a video file, and for those of us who like to the ease of being able to just put in a disc (or mount an ISO) and then have access to all the parts we want from a menu driven structure (which makes it easier to find what you want in the extras) then Linux is not really an option. Also it didn't make it clear on the page you linked to about subtitles, does it give you access to the subtitles in mplayer?

Last edited:
What I'm trying to say is that the main thing *nix users would like to have, is to watch hd movies. Doesn't matter to me if is file or disk! There's some problems with audio? Ok, but that's not an issue related to AnyDVD-HD. Other people are working on that now. AnyDVD-HD removes the protections of BD and HDDVD on-the-fly, and that's what is needed from Slysoft.

p.s: mplayer is considered one of the most complete player around. It can perfectly handle subtitles.

But does it handle the subtitles from inside the m2ts or evo file? or do you have to have a separate subtitle file?

But does it handle the subtitles from inside the m2ts or evo file? or do you have to have a separate subtitle file?
I think subtitles in m2ts and evo files is a feature in CVS. But again, here we are talkin' about on-fly decryption and NOT about players/codecs!

But the point is why try and do on the fly when you can't play a lot of the films properly, either because they need to have the audio converted or in some cases they need the movie files stitched together to be able to play the full movie

For all the trouble Slysoft would have to go through to properly recreate AnyDVDHD for Linux (notwithstanding the licensing issues which i must confess i don't understand)....

wouldln't it just be easier to find a copy of XP/Vista and dual boot. It's not like you have to even have the most expensive copy of windows to install AnyDVD. Score a copy of XP Home and load it onto that.

I just don't think it's worth the trouble for them yet. They need all thier resources geard up for that Slysoft BluRay player:D

try wine with your Linux

:DMaybe if you have Linux you should try Wine the software that runs Windows programs in Linux. Here is a link to the site. http://www.winehq.org/

for all the trouble Slysoft would have to go through to properly recreate AnyDVDHD for Linux

It's not supposed that Slysoft works for free. The idea is to expand its market SELLING AnyDVD-HD copies also for linux!

wouldln't it just be easier to find a copy of XP/Vista and dual boot.

You don't find copies of windows on the trees. You have to pay for it if you are honest. And, honestly, I switched to linux many years ago and I'm very satisfied of it. If I won't find a way to play bluray disks on linux, I will go for a ps3.

Last edited:
But the point is why try and do on the fly when you can't play a lot of the films properly, either because they need to have the audio converted or in some cases they need the movie files stitched together to be able to play the full movie

It is true that is also needed an HD-compatible player for linux. I expect that soon the mplayer troubles with audio will be solved. For now, it is probalbly already possible to use one of the windows player with wine. I will check that.

It's not supposed that Slysoft works for free. The idea is to expand its market SELLING AnyDVD-HD copies also for linux!
From a market perspective, i don't think it would be a good move. Somewhere on this forum, it was said that they would have to redesign the kernel and i'm sure other stuff. Well now they have two different versions of the same program to maintain. I mean, look at some of the issues they get now with the windows version "My disk won't play when i put it in, what's wrong??:confused:" and other such mind numbing questions. Now i'll admit that the average Linux user is a bit more technically refined than the average Windows user, but from a business standpoint, growing your market by creating more kinds of software rather than versions of the same software makes more sense. It may not always be that way, but for right now it is (imho).

You don't find copies of windows on the trees. You have to pay for it if you are honest. And, honestly, I switched to linux many years ago and I'm very satisfied of it. If I won't find a way to play bluray disks on linux, I will go for a ps3.
True, Windows doesn't grow on trees, but you can buy a copy for less than what you'll pay for AnyDVDHD so to me that alone makes sense. And buying a PS3 just because you cant find Linux compatible software is akin to cutting of your nose to spite your face. I mean, for the money you'll spend on a PS3, you could by Windows, AnyDVDHD, PowerDVDUltra and have money left to spare so i don't mean to insult you, but that just doesn't make sense.

I understand that you are a fan of Linux, but buying a copy of Windows doesn't detract from that. Look at it as additional software that's necessary to play your high definition videos. Now if your attitude is similiar to those Linux "everyingthing Windows is the devil and i will not tarnish my hardware by installing that poor excuse for an OS" fanatics then there isn't much that can be done.

....but Slysoft doesn't have to cater to such an irrational desire (code for Linux because Windows sucks desire) just because people want them to.

I watched blu-ray in linux before I knew about slysoft.
Remember muslix64 and backupbluray, etc. ?
I love my dual boot ultimate edition ubuntu and vista. I just checked and
my m2ts files play fine, I dont like to waste space and do a movie only backup anyway.
mplayer complained about alsa but I clicked ok and it played fine - sound over spdif. I dont have 8 speakers anyway.
anydvd installs on wine (release 1) but i cant get it to work (elby i/o)- same with powerdvd.
so i use mplayer - looks good sounds good. Bottom line - I can watch and hear my movies on either OS and I dont have a preference either way.
Slysoft rocks and has the best support and frequent updates way to go
Peer, James and the rest of slysoft team only way it could be better is if
we could use anydvdhd cross platform I would pay for this.
Mr. Bettini - please make ready the dungeon and cut the rum-punch breaks
just like blu-ray support and bd+ there is money to be made and gaps to be
filled.;)

From a market perspective, i don't think it would be a good move. Somewhere on this forum, it was said that they would have to redesign the kernel and i'm sure other stuff.

I'm personally a little puzzled as to why they even need to go into kernel-land to do this (has this even been answered up until now?) I could possibly see why they had to in Windows, but Linux? The kernel exposes the raw disc to userland, as much as any software can (yes, I know certain keys are still hidden from the software). I don't see why it couldn't be done in userland.

I understand that you are a fan of Linux, but buying a copy of Windows doesn't detract from that. Look at it as additional software that's necessary to play your high definition videos. Now if your attitude is similiar to those Linux "everyingthing Windows is the devil and i will not tarnish my hardware by installing that poor excuse for an OS" fanatics then there isn't much that can be done.

My position is that buying a copy of Windows is not a problem, but running it and maintaining it is. I would have to either dedicate a box to it or do virtualization, and I'm not keen on either, despite actually having a virtual image around with a legit paid-for WinXP copy. It sits and gathers dust, because every time I fire up a hypervisor app, it eats resources like crazy to feed the virtual machine, and hypervisors themselves (especially VMware) tend to be a bit painful for various reasons.

On top of that, for my main box or any other, I would have to buy and manage something in the range of Windows Server '08 or CCS to do the sort of things I do with Linux, not just the cheap-ass (and annoying) Vista Home Basic.

As far as I'm concerned, if SlySoft made a command-line, userland Linux app that had Blu-Ray/BD+ cracking capabilities on parity with AnyDVD HD, I would pay for it in a heartbeat. The cross-distro maintenance effort would be almost nothing, and the closed-source licensing would be a non-issue. I would even be willing to sign an NDA and help them port it (yes, I am technically capable), given some way around the DMCA. :bang:

PrincipalityFusion: I'm not a linux fanatic, just enthusiast because I spend much less time to mantain my system respect to windowz (no viruses, trojans, spyware, etc.).
I hypotesized a ps3 because it provides a very high quality bluray player and good games, also missing in linux.

For the rest, I think that Kelledin answered to my place wery well.

Last edited:
I'm personally a little puzzled as to why they even need to go into kernel-land to do this (has this even been answered up until now?) I could possibly see why they had to in Windows, but Linux? The kernel exposes the raw disc to userland, as much as any software can (yes, I know certain keys are still hidden from the software). I don't see why it couldn't be done in userland.

My position is that buying a copy of Windows is not a problem, but running it and maintaining it is. I would have to either dedicate a box to it or do virtualization, and I'm not keen on either, despite actually having a virtual image around with a legit paid-for WinXP copy. It sits and gathers dust, because every time I fire up a hypervisor app, it eats resources like crazy to feed the virtual machine, and hypervisors themselves (especially VMware) tend to be a bit painful for various reasons.

On top of that, for my main box or any other, I would have to buy and manage something in the range of Windows Server '08 or CCS to do the sort of things I do with Linux, not just the cheap-ass (and annoying) Vista Home Basic.

As far as I'm concerned, if SlySoft made a command-line, userland Linux app that had Blu-Ray/BD+ cracking capabilities on parity with AnyDVD HD, I would pay for it in a heartbeat. The cross-distro maintenance effort would be almost nothing, and the closed-source licensing would be a non-issue. I would even be willing to sign an NDA and help them port it (yes, I am technically capable), given some way around the DMCA. :bang:

Well, let me explain it in this way...

AnyDVD protects itself from users that only try to get those secret keys. And for that it uses some kernel functionality. If we create a linux version then those keys are no longer save. They get extracted, a new opensource project is created or that already available libaacs gets updated and the rest (meaning AnyDVD) is thrown away.

You say users will buy AnyDVD for linux - well I'm sure of it. At least the first week. After that they use the free version libaacs and those you even bought AnyDVD for linux might even try to get a refund. And then real trouble starts. Thousands of applications will spread in the world being able to decrypt BD/HD-DVD - all from that open source project. I don't want to name FabDVD but I'm sure you get the point.

Reverse engineering is very hard, otherwise be wouldn't be the only one being able to decrypt MKBv4, MKBv7, BD+ et al. And we want to keep it that way. I personally don't have a problem if someone else reverse engineers it. But I do have a problem with people that steal that information to make money of it without putting any effort in.

Well now you might say you wouldn't do that. And you are right. You might even say you don't know anybody that might do that. And you might be right there too. But it only takes one.

If you're using linux you already have the problem to not being able to play it. mplayer (more precise FFmpeg) cannot handle DTS HD, EACS (still not completely in SVN), MLP(TrueHD), and neither still or interactive graphics. It cannot decode menus - all it can currently do is playback Video and (downscaled) Audio. And also not very fast.

So people using linux already have to put a lot of effort in playing BDs. Using Windows (VMware Windows) to decrypt the disc is just another tiny layer of effort.

So I think from this point on lets drop any kernel/user mode, FUSE or any other related "ideas" and continue with suggestions that protect our secret information in linux. Before having that I personally think linux is currently not on the table.

-----

Any by the way, just to make it clear: We are able to create a linux command line tool in a heartbeat. So it's not a problem of being unfamiliar with linux/gcc/et al.

Last edited:
If we create a linux version then those keys are no longer save.

Why???

Nobody here is asking for source-code! A lot of linux software is closed: Matlab, NeroLinux, AcrobatReader, Flash plugin...
And reverse engineering is not simpler in linux than win!

I'm sincerely missing the point. Obviously you don't have to justify your choices, but if you say there are good reason to be scared of linux, I really wish to understand:

you say you can not make a kernel module because it's gpl. But that's not true because you know that, for example, NVIDIA drivers are closed and not included in the kernel, but everybody can install them!

Moreover it seems to me that would not be strictly necessary to go into kernelspace, but a FUSE solution would be feasible. Dou you think that userspace is more vulnerable to reverse engineering? It sound strange...

I'm not talking about source code, didn't even mention that!

And yes of course it's easier to reverse engineer an application if it's just compiled and not encrypted, obfuscated or code/instruction transvectorized. We have the tools for that for Windows, we know its kernel and its functions. In Linux there's nothing that reliable because there are millions of different linux kernels. (Take each kernel version update and multiply it by compiling option, processor type/option).

And again of course user space is more vulnerable than kernel space. Because there's no way to access kernel space from user space. That's the whole idea. And if this sounds strange to you what do you think is the whole idea behind kernel/user mode? And also there's no way to debug in kernel mode. At least not that colorful and easy-riding as in user mode.

And last but not least: Reverse Engineering is way simpler in Linux than Windows. You just modify/compile your linux source. It's not even a challenge.

Last edited:
Probably you're right, i'm not as expert like as you. Only, I see many closed source kernel modules (vmware, nvidia drivers, etc..), and they just work for any 2.6.x kernel version, on all the common architectures. Do you think these are so easily crackable?

I suppose all the "encryption, obfuscation or code/instruction transvectorization" can be done also on linux. That's technique, not OS dependent. It's probaly a very hard and time-consuming task, I understand this. Probably like it was for the first release on win. Maybe harder, don't know. But when you say: "We are able to create a linux command line tool in a heartbeat", this makes me very sad.

Probably you're right, i'm not as expert like as you. Only, I see many closed source kernel modules (vmware, nvidia drivers, etc..), ...

And here we are at the start of the discussion: The maintainers of the Linux Kernel condemn closed source drivers. They don't want them, and they argue that closed source kernel modules are a GPL violation.

So, they won't get them. ;)

BTW, can mplayer play Video DVDs with navigation and menus? Last time I checked, it couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back