• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD (HD) 6.4.0.0

I want to have this UFO theory out of the way, before making any further conclusions :)

The aliens are Sony and AACS. The UFO is Sony BD+. SlySoft didn't shoot it down they captured it during the Battle for Freedom then they reverse-engineered the technology and created a weapon that protects us all from this evil alien tyranny.

umm

Congratulations on your achievement. I was going to purchase your very own software, AnyDVD. Nevertheless, after I read your product details on your website about AnyDVD's capable. It said "AnyDVD is capable of removing unwanted movie features, including subtitles..."

Whoa, I am deaf myself and I always use subtitles in order to watch the movie. Your adverting on AnyDVD has disturbed me. You guys are indeed encourage them to remove subtitles when disabled people like myself need them profoundly. I highly recommended you to remove that statement about AnyDVD's capable and hire new writer who knows how to pose no harm among your very own audiences and buyers.

Congratulations on your achievement. I was going to purchase your very own software, AnyDVD. Nevertheless, after I read your product details on your website about AnyDVD's capable. It said "AnyDVD is capable of removing unwanted movie features, including subtitles..."

Whoa, I am deaf myself and I always use subtitles in order to watch the movie. Your adverting on AnyDVD has disturbed me. You guys are indeed encourage them to remove subtitles when disabled people like myself need them profoundly. I highly recommended you to remove that statement about AnyDVD's capable and hire new writer who knows how to pose no harm among your very own audiences and buyers.

Thanks for raising this issue!

Your concerns are absolutely right, closed captioning should never be removed from any video or audio stream.

On the otherhand, this is not a default feature and is only used by most people to remove unwanted languages. I myself do not change these options because I want to preserve the content in its original form.

I'm sure that this claim is not intended to discriminate against those who need it. SlySoft is a great company, one of the few that places their customer needs ahead of profit.

You won't be disappointed by buying any of their products. I highly recommend them.

BTW, I have deaf friends and understand how important this issue is to you.

You misunderstand. I don't know if it is capable of removing the subtitles entirely, but even if it was, it won't do anything you don't tell it to do. The feature of subtitles, for DVDs, is that it makes them transparent, in different transparency degrees. For someone who uses subtitles a lot, this may actually be a pretty neat feature, and I use it too (for some foreign films especially). Some subs on some DVDs are just too bright, you can probably notice this in dark scenes. It is annoying, and having them semi-transparent is a big help. Again, you can enable or disable any option (even for each individual drive you can enable/disable AnyDVD). This is a great little program.

EDIT: Actually, if you set transparency to zero, then the subs will be invisible, so it is correct in that it CAN remove them, but only if you tell it to! And this is only for subtitles, closed captioning has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:

I am sorry if the wording wasn't well chosen. And we certainly meant closed captions. In Europe, a lot of DVDs have forced subtitles. E.g., if you buy a DVD in Germany and want to watch this DVD in the original language, you *have to* watch the German subtitles. They cannot be disabled. This is a very annoying practice. The reason behind this is probably stopping people from the UK, France or Italy to import this DVD.
We give the people the freedom to *choose* if they want to use the subtitles present on the disc. We do not remove them, we remove the *lock* which prevents the user to choose if he wants to display subtitles or not.
This feature can of course be configured, so if you want to be told whether you have to watch foreign subtitles or not, you can still have it.

I am sorry if the wording wasn't well chosen. And we certainly meant closed captions. In Europe, a lot of DVDs have forced subtitles. E.g., if you buy a DVD in Germany and want to watch this DVD in the original language, you *have to* watch the German subtitles. They cannot be disabled. This is a very annoying practice. The reason behind this is probably stopping people from the UK, France or Italy to import this DVD.
We give the people the freedom to *choose* if they want to use the subtitles present on the disc. We do not remove them, we remove the *lock* which prevents the user to choose if he wants to display subtitles or not.
This feature can of course be configured, so if you want to be told whether you have to watch foreign subtitles or not, you can still have it.

Great response James!

You misunderstand. I don't know if it is capable of removing the subtitles entirely, but even if it was, it won't do anything you don't tell it to do. The feature of subtitles, for DVDs, is that it makes them transparent, in different transparency degrees. For someone who uses subtitles a lot, this may actually be a pretty neat feature, and I use it too (for some foreign films especially). Some subs on some DVDs are just too bright, you can probably notice this in dark scenes. It is annoying, and having them semi-transparent is a big help. Again, you can enable or disable any option (even for each individual drive you can enable/disable AnyDVD). This is a great little program.

Good that you mention it - the subtitle transparency feature is one of my favorites. I never watch dubbed movies, so I always use subtitles on foreign films. But especially on big screens during dark scenes bright subtitles totally mess up the contrast of the picture. Setting the transparency level to 50% greatly reduces this problem. Unfortunately this doesn't work for HD media, only standard DVDs.
One feature still missing, is subtitle repositioning (and resizing). Very often the subtitles are too big on large screens, or are placed in a way that they cover parts of the picture. Transparency helps, but it is still annoying.
Or if you have a maskable screen, they are placed outside the mask.

Good that you mention it - the subtitle transparency feature is one of my favorites. I never watch dubbed movies, so I always use subtitles on foreign films. But especially on big screens during dark scenes bright subtitles totally mess up the contrast of the picture. Setting the transparency level to 50% greatly reduces this problem. Unfortunately this doesn't work for HD media, only standard DVDs.
One feature still missing, is subtitle repositioning (and resizing). Very often the subtitles are too big on large screens, or are placed in a way that they cover parts of the picture. Transparency helps, but it is still annoying.
Or if you have a maskable screen, they are placed outside the mask.

I think that's what "Read-It-Clearly" in PowerDVD does and it's a great feature in theory, but I detected some image quality loss, which was different with "high performance mode" ticked or not. I think that option enables hardware acceleration, but I'm not sure how it works.

By the way, by "closed captions" above I meant the actual stream of captions that most TVs can decode, that are embedded in the video stream. I don't think AnyDVD has anything to do with those... The "closed captions" you mentioned are still technically subtitles, only doing the work that closed captions usually do (like describe sounds and noises, and who's talking).

I think that's what "Read-It-Clearly" in PowerDVD does and it's a great feature in theory, but I detected some image quality loss, which was different with "high performance mode" ticked or not. I think that option enables hardware acceleration, but I'm not sure how it works.

By the way, by "closed captions" above I meant the actual stream of captions that most TVs can decode, that are embedded in the video stream. I don't think AnyDVD has anything to do with those... The "closed captions" you mentioned are still technically subtitles, only doing the work that closed captions usually do (like describe sounds and noises, and who's talking).

You are correct, AnyDVD doesn't touch the CC data intended for a CC decoder. I was talking about subtitles.

I think that's what "Read-It-Clearly" in PowerDVD does and it's a great feature in theory, ....
In theory, yes. Practically, it sucks.
Off topic: In fact, IMHO PowerDVD sucks big time for standard DVD playback, e.g. it refuses to work with ReClock, it cannot Zoom / Scale the picture, the Dolby ProLogic IIx decoder is broken, it is incredibly bloated. Unfortunately there isn't much choice for HD media, but for standard DVDs there are much better solutions.

Back