• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD (HD) 6.3.0.1 beta

It's true that PowerDVD is the only real option for people that want to watch extras and want the menus and stuff.
I call BS! Nero ShowTime works wonderfully with AnyDVDHD on both HD-DVD and BluRay, as well as HVD, DVD, VCD, CVD, ..... and without the slightest modification. PowerCrapper has long been surpassed but people ignore Nero in general because it costs more. If you want a program you won't need to patch or otherwise hack and slash, where you just put the disc in and play OR play from a mounted UDF/UDO image, give Nero a try. The trial download is FREE and fully functional.

I call BS! Nero ShowTime works wonderfully with AnyDVDHD on both HD-DVD and BluRay, as well as HVD, DVD, VCD, CVD, ..... and without the slightest modification. PowerCrapper has long been surpassed but people ignore Nero in general because it costs more. If you want a program you won't need to patch or otherwise hack and slash, where you just put the disc in and play OR play from a mounted UDF/UDO image, give Nero a try. The trial download is FREE and fully functional.

Has Nero improved that much with version 8 ? I bought and tried version 7 and it was pretty crappy then.

If what your saying is true I might give it another go. Is it remote friendly? I can't remember, I would hate to have to keep picking up the keyboard.

Has Nero improved that much with version 8 ? I bought and tried version 7 and it was pretty crappy then.

If what your saying is true I might give it another go. Is it remote friendly? I can't remember, I would hate to have to keep picking up the keyboard.

I can say that ShowTime 4 (Included in Nero 8 Suite) is remote compatible if not necessarily remote friendly. Since almost every (including Microsoft's) PC remote uses the Media Keyboard Expansion instructions, if it works on your multimedia keyboard, it works in ShowTime. I use Stop, Play, Forward, Back, Mute and Pause. I'm not sure what else you're looking for. Menu still pulls up the player menu rather than the disc menu but building a simple macro (included in most PC remote software) for ShowTime could fix that in about 30 seconds worth of work.

The big thing here is that Nero ShowTime works out-of-the-box, so to speak, with SlySoft AnyDVD-HD. For LESS than the full PowerDVD, you get not just a player you need to hack to bits to make it work with everything, but also a quality burner (with dozens of output formats supported), decent DVD/VCD/HD-DVD/BluRay creation and conversion software (HD/BR with an extra fee, unfortunately), a fully functioning MPEG-4 encoder, a licensed MP3+Pro encoder/decoder (flac quality in MP3 size), a half dozen disc utilities and an audio editor.
I must admit I just don't get why people would pay $99.95 for PowerDVD-Ultra (or 79.95 to upgrade to a working version from OEM) and then modify the software when Nero costs $79.99. Both require a plugin purchase to get full support (Nero does require the purchase for any DTS) but that makes a fully functioning Nero Suite with far more uses cost $6 more than a partially functioning PowerDVD.
Oh; and with that Nero plugin, you can take the HD/BR rip from AnyDVD-HD and create a valid image file too; or burn it to HDR or BRW. You can even rip HD/BR content (from AnyDVD-HD) to portable at full bitrate; splitting the file across multiple medias if needed, (something CloneDVD Mobile can't yet do).
My apologies if I sound like an advertisement. :eek:

I just purchased the BD/HD DVD plugin for Showtime just to see how good it is. So far, I'm beyond unimpressed with it. I can't get it to work at ALL. It goes to load the HD DVD and crashes miserably. Yea, WONDERFUL piece of software. That's with AnyDVD HD disabled or enabled. Makes no difference. At least PowerDVD plays. So, Showtime...not impressed.

I have Nero as well, but haven't tried it in a few months because it just didn't work properly. I don't bother using Nero Showtime, that is - I use some of the other utilities.

One thing I am not understanding is the couple of references lostinlodos made about PowerDVD and having to "hack to bits to make it work with everything". I dislike PowerDVD as much as the next person, but I've never had to hack it or modify it in any way at all. It works perfectly fine for me, except for the downsampling of the audio which Showtime does as well - I'm quite content using it until everyone catches up with the hi-def video discs/formats and we have some viable options.

Showtime downsamples the audio too, right?

I just purchased the BD/HD DVD plugin for Showtime just to see how good it is. So far, I'm beyond unimpressed with it. I can't get it to work at ALL. It goes to load the HD DVD and crashes miserably.

A crash on a disc load is a sign of inproper install or system trouble.
First make sure it is properly installed:
StartSmart:Settings:ToolBox:License command:
See if "Blu-Ray/HD DVD Video Plug-in" is listed. If not close ALL Nero software (Use the task manager and close out NR, NB, and NS programs as well) then click add and then enter the serial number you purchased. Restart the system BEFORE you load any Nero programs again.

If it is there; Try uninstalling (or installing) the HD plugin (in the StartSmart:Settings:ToolBox:License command:
Highlight Blu-Ray/HD DVD Video Plug-in and click remove. Restart the system. Follow the install steps above and restart the system again. If it still doesn't work there's a system conflict or a hardware conflict.

You can also try the disc after uninstalling the plugin and restarting to see if it can load the disc without the plugin.

Showtime downsamples the audio too, right?
On its own it will downsample the audio, but with the HD plugin installed it will output whatever your audio card can support.

Hacked copies of Nero will NOT work with legitimate plugins, hacked plugins will not work with legitimate or hacked Neros. Just of note.

Last edited:
If it is there; Try uninstalling (or installing) the HD plugin (in the StartSmart:Settings:ToolBox:License command:
Highlight Blu-Ray/HD DVD Video Plug-in and click remove. Restart the system. Follow the install steps above and restart the system again. If it still doesn't work there's a system conflict or a hardware conflict.

Splendid. I'll try it after I'm done with work. The license is definitely there. Nero hates that system...it really does.

On its own it will downsample the audio, but with the HD plugin installed it will output whatever your audio card can support.

Hacked copies of Nero will NOT work with legitimate plugins, hacked plugins will not work with legitimate or hacked Neros. Just of note.
Are you 100% posititive about this?

From all I've read, there is currently no software that will output the original TrueHD (or any other hi-def audio) signal so we can output it over our analog outputs from the soundcard. Obviously spdif isn't going to matter, since that can't handle the hi-def bitrate.

nero works for me to. i do occasionally get the colors all out of wack for whatever reason but after a reboot it is good again. really have no complaints. and vision can convert the evo file to 720p too.

Or an "overprotected" application.

I personally feel it was a waste of the 25 bucks. I'll work on getting it working later, but, so far, I'm not impressed at all. To top things off, I also think my HD DVD drive is starting to die. It has no problems reading DVD's but HD DVD's are not being recognized now. I have to unplug it and plug it back in and then it sometimes works. sigh.

Are you 100% posititive about this?

From all I've read, there is currently no software that will output the original TrueHD (or any other hi-def audio) signal so we can output it over our analog outputs from the soundcard. Obviously spdif isn't going to matter, since that can't handle the hi-def bitrate.

I am 100% positive that with the plugin the only theoretical "brick wall" is your audio card.
Granted it's analogue sound, but the EMU card series (also from Creative) does have a card that outputs digital audio as well, though I have no intention of spending $1000+ for a soundcard that will create so little difference in quality. A good high-end sound card can decode full Dolby and DTS output on its own, and output in full 7.1 analogue sound.
Maybe I'm not fully understanding what it is you're referring to!? If you can point to a "problem" title I can try that disc and see what it is you mean.

To top things off, I also think my HD DVD drive is starting to die. It has no problems reading DVD's but HD DVD's are not being recognized now. I have to unplug it and plug it back in and then it sometimes works. sigh.
Unfortunately it looks like the reason for the crash has been found.

I am 100% positive that with the plugin the only theoretical "brick wall" is your audio card.
Granted it's analogue sound, but the EMU card series (also from Creative) does have a card that outputs digital audio as well, though I have no intention of spending $1000+ for a soundcard that will create so little difference in quality. A good high-end sound card can decode full Dolby and DTS output on its own, and output in full 7.1 analogue sound.
Maybe I'm not fully understanding what it is you're referring to!? If you can point to a "problem" title I can try that disc and see what it is you mean.

HD audio can not be output via spdif. You need to either use hdmi or analog. I'm not talking about the DTS track - they are not downsampling that. I'm talking about the HD tracks.

For example, my audio card doesn't need Dolby TrueHD support, nor would it matter if it had it. The media player is decoding the TrueHD audio and sending it to the sound card. But from all that I've read all media players are downsampling the HD audio.

EDIT: not that my equipment is so great that it is going to make a significant difference. But it will make me happy. ;)

EDIT2: here is one of the definative threads on the downsampling issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892863

Last edited:
HD audio can not be output via spdif. You need to either use hdmi or analog.
Or firewire, if someone would write a driver, I could connect my Denon Amp to the firewire port...

That's a great theory, but, no. It crashes on mounted images, too. Including Blu-ray images that have nothing to do with that drive. Also, I connected the drive back up to my 360 and originally it said "unreadable disc". So, I ejected it, and put it back in, and the 360 is having no problems at all reading it. Something else is going on there, as well. However, the drive issues do not let Nero off the hook on this one. I may wipe Nero and try to reinstall it but I have no patience for that tonight. I simply want to watch a movie as I've been having a hell of a week at work.

That's a great theory, but, no. It crashes on mounted images, too. Including Blu-ray images that have nothing to do with that drive. Also, I connected the drive back up to my 360 and originally it said "unreadable disc". So, I ejected it, and put it back in, and the 360 is having no problems at all reading it. Something else is going on there, as well. However, the drive issues do not let Nero off the hook on this one. I may wipe Nero and try to reinstall it but I have no patience for that tonight. I simply want to watch a movie as I've been having a hell of a week at work.

Ohhh; troubleshooting! Humph, I fully understand the hard week issue, so let us know when you get around to it. Good luck.

Ohhh; troubleshooting! Humph, I fully understand the hard week issue, so let us know when you get around to it. Good luck.

I think the HD DVD disc itself is ****ed. I'm not amused at all. I need to do a LOT more troubleshooting to figure out what's going on. I'll eventually get back to trying to get Nero to work. Maybe this weekend if I get a chance.

HD audio can not be output via spdif. You need to either use hdmi or analog. I'm not talking about the DTS track - they are not downsampling that. I'm talking about the HD tracks.

For example, my audio card doesn't need Dolby TrueHD support, nor would it matter if it had it. The media player is decoding the TrueHD audio and sending it to the sound card. But from all that I've read all media players are downsampling the HD audio.

EDIT: not that my equipment is so great that it is going to make a significant difference. But it will make me happy. ;)

EDIT2: here is one of the definative threads on the downsampling issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892863
nero 8 does not support true hd and in fact wont play DD5.1 why not:(

OT again. But anyway:

(1) The Nero HD DVD/Blu-Ray plugin contains a fully functional E-AC3 and TrueHD decoder. Both support decoding up until 5.1 channels. The decoded audio is *not* downsampled. Unfortunately with Nero 8 there's no (known) way to use the decoder in anything but ShowTime. With Nero 7 you can use the Nero E-AC3 and TrueHD decoders in media players like MPC or ZoomPlayer.

(2) The Nero HD DVD/Blu-Ray plugin does not decode the full DTS-HD information, it only decodes the core. However, the Sonic HD Audio Decoder 4.3 fully supports DTS-HD decoding up until 6.1 channels and does also *not* downsample. The Sonic decoder can be used in any DirectShow media player. The Sonic decoder also supports E-AC3 and TrueHD, but is not very useful for those kind of tracks cause it applies DRC on those (which can not be turned off). It doesn't apply DRC on anything DTS, fortunately.

Speaking about DirectShow:

Does anyone know by chance how to register PowerDVD's audio decoder in Vista so that it is used by Windows Media Player to play, for example, .avi files with ac3 audio?

I have found recently that this feature does not work in Vista as it works in XP. I tried to register the audio decoder manually (with regsvr32), but it did not help. So I decided to install also WinDVD BD for VAIO (as I have Sony laptop). Files with ac3 audio still did not play after the installation, but with this one manual registration helped. So it kind of works now, but I would rather prefer so that WMP uses audio decoder from PowerDVD.

Sorry for being off topic, but this thread turned into discussion about players anyway... Probably because AnyDVD reached the state of perfection and does not need to be discussed that much anymore :)

Last edited:
Back