• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD for Mac?

mtroum

I have been using AnyDVD HD on my PC for some time and am now changing over to an iMac (still keep the PC alive, though). Is there any possibility that there will be a version of AnyDVD HD for the Mac?
Marty T.

I have been using AnyDVD HD on my PC for some time and am now changing over to an iMac (still keep the PC alive, though). Is there any possibility that there will be a version of AnyDVD HD for the Mac?
Marty T.

I think I heard they use a PC emulator on the mac to get the AnyDVD to work but you will have to search the forum here and see what those whom used it have said about using a emulator to run AnyDVD....

I think I heard they use a PC emulator on the mac to get the AnyDVD to work but you will have to search the forum here and see what those whom used it have said about using a emulator to run AnyDVD....

I already use Parallels with Windows 7 on my Mac, but I was hoping for a Mac version of AnyDVD HD. When I get my laptop, I don't want to have to buy another set of Parallels and Windows. I'd rather use a Mac version of the software.

Unfortunately from what I hear they are sticky with the Windows platform as their are more windows users then mac. So the O/S platform standard is Windows and most likely will be some time to come. You will have to ask yourself when you switch to mac do you have the money to spend for the software equivalent of pc software when mac will cost at least 2x as much for the same software? That to me doesn't make sense going to mac when the same software will cost 2x as much and do the same thing. Plus expansion is limited and cost more in mac then pc. That is one reason PC will always be ahead of the mac ... but to each their own if you got the money to burn your wallet then so be it...

Although I'm not a mac fan, I have to disagree about the software pricing. Looking at most of the software that we sell that is also available for the mac (Adobe, Avid etc) they cost about the same for both platforms. It's mainly the machine you pay nearly double the price for against an equivalent spec PC.

Last edited:
Unfortunately from what I hear they are sticky with the Windows platform as their are more windows users then mac. So the O/S platform standard is Windows and most likely will be some time to come. You will have to ask yourself when you switch to mac do you have the money to spend for the software equivalent of pc software when mac will cost at least 2x as much for the same software? That to me doesn't make sense going to mac when the same software will cost 2x as much and do the same thing. Plus expansion is limited and cost more in mac then pc. That is one reason PC will always be ahead of the mac ... but to each their own if you got the money to burn your wallet then so be it...

Aside from actually buying into the "Apple" name/logo etc... the hardware in a Mac today is EXACTLY the same as that in a PC.

I have no idea where people get their information from when it comes to all this... but seriously, it's time to put an end to this level of misinformation!

The software cost is the same... they all run the exact same hardware. Maybe 20 years ago Apples were more expensive, but that era is gone.

Slysoft has it's reasons for not developing on the Mac, or Linux. Just step back for a minute, and understand how those two platforms work that ARE different than Windows, and you'll know why they are not going to release native software for them.

Last edited:
Aside from actually buying into the "Apple" name/logo etc... the hardware in a Mac today is EXACTLY the same as that in a PC.

I have no idea where people get their information from when it comes to all this... but seriously, it's time to put an end to this level of misinformation!

The software cost is the same... they all run the exact same hardware. Maybe 20 years ago Apples were more expensive, but that era is gone.

Slysoft has it's reasons for not developing on the Mac, or Linux. Just step back for a minute, and understand how those two platforms work that ARE different than Windows, and you'll know why they are not going to release native software for them.

I agree with everything you said up until Apples are not more expensive than a similiar equipped PC. Bring up any MAC configuration, and i'll guarantee you I can find a prebuilt PC with similiar (or even better in some cases) for less money using the same or better hardware.

And we won't even get into the cost difference if you are building your own PC. That's just rediculous. And i'm going to guess that the average Slysoft user (despite some of the questions we've been recieving on here lately) is computer literate enough to be able to put their own PC together.

So while some software caries a slight premium (Microsoft office for pc vs mac for example) most software is generally the same. This is NOT true for hardware however even though both use the same hardware.....go figure:confused:

I agree with everything you said up until Apples are not more expensive than a similiar equipped PC. Bring up any MAC configuration, and i'll guarantee you I can find a prebuilt PC with similiar (or even better in some cases) for less money using the same or better hardware.

And we won't even get into the cost difference if you are building your own PC. That's just rediculous. And i'm going to guess that the average Slysoft user (despite some of the questions we've been recieving on here lately) is computer literate enough to be able to put their own PC together.

So while some software caries a slight premium (Microsoft office for pc vs mac for example) most software is generally the same. This is NOT true for hardware however even though both use the same hardware.....go figure:confused:

Take into consideration that the software on most pre-built PCs are trial versions... add that to the cost, and you'll have a more comparable price.

All I'm saying is, that the gap between buying a PC, and a Mac are now more even then they were years ago.

Both have their strong and weak points.. both were designed for different purposes and continue to be so.

I have gone to several "build your own" PC sites.... including Apple's. I have found that building your own PC, can cost thousands more. And that's before you start purchasing the software for it.

Take into consideration that the software on most pre-built PCs are trial versions... add that to the cost, and you'll have a more comparable price.

All I'm saying is, that the gap between buying a PC, and a Mac are now more even then they were years ago.

Both have their strong and weak points.. both were designed for different purposes and continue to be so.

I have gone to several "build your own" PC sites.... including Apple's. I have found that building your own PC, can cost thousands more. And that's before you start purchasing the software for it.

Ouch, you are definitely going to the wrong websites. Try this. Take a $1000 budget and spend a few minutes on Newegg piecing together a computer from scratch (Windows Home Premium included). I bet you could put together a system from scratch that will knock the socks of anything Stevie would put out.

Ouch, you are definitely going to the wrong websites. Try this. Take a $1000 budget and spend a few minutes on Newegg piecing together a computer from scratch (Windows Home Premium included). I bet you could put together a system from scratch that will knock the socks of anything Stevie would put out.

lol

I hear what you're saying! :)

As an enthusiast, I love all the platforms. Nothing beats the other at the game they were designed to play... but Slysoft has chosen it's route. That's what this thread was started about.

If the OP wants to know why Slysoft has chosen not to support Mac or Linux, they should search this forum... as the developers have answered that question many times.

But me... personally, if money was no object, I would have that $10,000 PC... and the Mac!

(with my bootable Linux CD handy to fix both of them)

MAC vs PC

It is with some interest that I see again a Mac vs PC debate.

Having got a foot firmly based in each camp I think I'm fairly well placed to make some 'real world' comments based on experience of both platforms.

Background.

So a while back I was looking after an office full of PC's. These failed. a lot. either hardware failures, or windows would crash, often windows would recover. But it wasn't that rare for it not to come back or to trash some application in the process.

Indeed having built many pcs myself including 8 and 12 core water cooled beasts I also found myself running in to the same problems. To be fair, users that just ran office type apps never had a major problem, but power users that would push the pc to it's limits for extended periods suffered.

Options.

We could stick with PCs or try something else. Despite 7 coming out and being better it was still a long way from perfect so didn't seem a good choice. Linux although growing didn't quite give the impression of being 'finished yet' So we got a mac mini and gave that a try.

Getting that little box up and running with everything installed was a joy, and it just seemed to work. We ran the same 'power user' apps and suffered none of the stability issues we saw on windows boxes even with fresh installs. (yes, on a mac mini they were not that 'power' but still a reasonable performance)

So we then decided to move our power users over on to MAC.

Price.

So for our power users (and me) a high spec machine is required. 12 cores, 4 x 1TB drives. The price from Dell as a quick comparison is about 4K (GBP) the price for a similar Mac is about 4.5K (again GBP)

(these prices are for as similar spec machines as I could get so it's an oranges for oranges comparison)

So yes, the apple 'appears' more expensive but the following factors need to be considered.

Residual value:- a Mac at the end of it's 3 year life will be worth considerably more than a PC that cold easily drop by 50-60% in a year. This more than makes up for the additional price.

The comments along the line of 'give me a thousand bucks and I'll make a pc to knock the socks of a mac' (Ok that's a paraphrase not a quote) are interesting because they don't really say how it will be better...better means different thing to different people...

Better fram rate for games?
Better stability?
Less noise?
Faster boot?
More storage?
look better?
Better OS?

The list could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

Support costs.

I now spend only 30% of the time supporting those power users than I used to. again a significant saving.

And at home, I now spend a lot less time 'fiddling' with the mac to get it to do what I want. And to keep it running....

It's also very very quiet. This may not be a big deal to some, but previously I've had to water cool big pcs to keep them quiet. The cost of water cooling a 12 core machine to try to get it as quiet as a Mac pro is very very expensive.....(you could easily add 1K-1.5K) to a system to do that.

Stuff Just works....

As an example. at home my PC had two graphics card each with 2 HDMI outputs. I used two outputs to go to a pair of monitors and 1 to go to a home cinema amp to bitstream digital audio. This took no end of time to set up as the PC didn't like the amp not having a monitor (it took me a couple of days to get it going) it took me 5 mins on the Mac......

So Mac all sounds lovely....right?????

To a point it is, but.....

Gaming.
If you game then there may not be the range of titles for you to choose from. So this may be an issue.

Hardware drivers....
If you have some out of the ordinary hardware then there may not be the drivers for it. Or they may have reduced functionality.

Blu-ray playback.
As of yet there is no blu-ray playback software....maybe that will change, and maybe slyplayer, clone BD may help with this, but it's a big pain right now for me.

Other Apps.
Other apps you may rely on might not be available, there may be options to substitute, or maybe not....The slysoft products don't run on mac. (i wish they did)

Having said all of that you can still boot in to windows if you like and many (if not all) of those issues go away. You can also use VMware or Parallels, although not all software runs in that environment.

So hopefully I haven't come across as some Mac loving fanboy. I think there is more than enough room for both platforms and each has it's own strengths. (and of course weaknesses)

I just thought it might be worth giving a few lines to what I have experienced using both platforms..

I'm sure the debate will continue on and on... :)

Interesting read. :)
The good news is that "the endless debate" is moot here. The Slysoft Suite is for PC's only. (or an emulator under a Mac)

-W

Interesting read. :)
The good news is that "the endless debate" is moot here. The Slysoft Suite is for PC's only. (or an emulator under a Mac)

-W

Yeah, the debate will rage on in many areas on this topic, and I think be moot wherever...

People often get entrenched in one camp or the other, and thats a shame as it prevents them from taking a balanced view.

A good friend of mine, just installed a triple boot.... Linux, Windows 7 and Mac OSX on his MacBook.

Now he has all three full OSes on one machine. Unfortunately, it's a pain in the butt to do that on a general PC.

While using a Mac, you can have the full version of Windows installed, you don't need an emulator. So if you need AnyDVD, simply run it there.

Having done many multi-boot systems myself, using a boot loader isn't rocket science. Boot Camp for the Mac might be the best way to run Windows instead of a virtual machine.

Last edited:
Back