• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD breaks DVD-Audio?

ocd

I know somebody mentioned interest in adding CPPM/CPRM support to AnyDVD long ago (in the wrong forum), but my question is more about AnyDVD interfering with DVD-Audio.

First, because AnyDVD makes the disc look like it's unprotected, the various CPPM tools (such as dvdcpxm.exe) won't work when AnyDVD is enabled (since they can't get at the CSS keys needed to decrypt the CPPM). Is there any way for AnyDVD to allow them access to the information they need, or do I just have to disable AnyDVD?

Second, I suspect the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." ripper works by crawling the IFOs looking for referenced video and copies only video that could actually be accessed. But that means that AnyDVD's ripper will omit video that's referenced only by the AUDIO_TS.IFO in the AUDIO_TS directory. (I've seen at least one case where the entire VIDEO_TS.VOB is missing as a result.) Can I safely copy the VIDEO_TS directory without using the ripper, or are there any DVD-Audio discs with structural protection (which require the ripper)?

Can I safely copy the VIDEO_TS directory without using the ripper, or are there any DVD-Audio discs with structural protection (which require the ripper)?

I believe you can.
AnyDVD reports structural protections in the status Window anyway.

Also, AnyDVD is not really for DVD-Audio disks - your mileage may vary.

-W

I've done this (sort of)

I know somebody mentioned interest in adding CPPM/CPRM support to AnyDVD long ago (in the wrong forum), but my question is more about AnyDVD interfering with DVD-Audio.

First, because AnyDVD makes the disc look like it's unprotected, the various CPPM tools (such as dvdcpxm.exe) won't work when AnyDVD is enabled (since they can't get at the CSS keys needed to decrypt the CPPM). Is there any way for AnyDVD to allow them access to the information they need, or do I just have to disable AnyDVD?

Second, I suspect the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." ripper works by crawling the IFOs looking for referenced video and copies only video that could actually be accessed. But that means that AnyDVD's ripper will omit video that's referenced only by the AUDIO_TS.IFO in the AUDIO_TS directory. (I've seen at least one case where the entire VIDEO_TS.VOB is missing as a result.) Can I safely copy the VIDEO_TS directory without using the ripper, or are there any DVD-Audio discs with structural protection (which require the ripper)?

Any of my DVD-Audio discs that also have DVD-Video I've just run through the same process as a movie DVD. You don't get the AUDIO_TS portion but you can back up the 5.1 track that plays on standard DVD players. I've taken that another step on occasion and made audio CD from those files to play in the car.

Also, AnyDVD is not really for DVD-Audio disks - your mileage may vary.
Yes, but DVD-Audio discs also have video, for which AnyDVD is necessary. Otherwise I'd just disable AnyDVD and be done with it.

And "the same process as a movie DVD" doesn't work either, because DVD-Audio discs store some of their data in the VIDEO_TS folder, but AnyDVD's ripper doesn't know about that, so it thinks it can strip that video.

Hence my original question.

Last edited:
Yes, but DVD-Audio discs also have video, for which AnyDVD is necessary. Otherwise I'd just disable AnyDVD and be done with it.

And "the same process as a movie DVD" doesn't work either, because DVD-Audio discs store some of their data in the VIDEO_TS folder, but AnyDVD's ripper doesn't know about that, so it thinks it can strip that video.

Hence my original question.

You mean the AUDIO_TS folder - right?

The AnyDVD ripper at default settings, ought to rip the VIDEO_TS folder without any "stripping".

-W

You mean the AUDIO_TS folder - right?

The AnyDVD ripper at default settings, ought to rip the VIDEO_TS folder without any "stripping".
Nope, I did indeed mean the VIDEO_TS folder. The IFOs in the AUDIO_TS folder can reference video in the VIDEO_TS portion. Unfortunately, AnyDVD's ripper doesn't know anything about that and thinks some of the video is unreferenced, so it strips it, breaking the IFOs in the AUDIO_TS folder.

Nope, I did indeed mean the VIDEO_TS folder. The IFOs in the AUDIO_TS folder can reference video in the VIDEO_TS portion. Unfortunately, AnyDVD's ripper doesn't know anything about that and thinks some of the video is unreferenced, so it strips it, breaking the IFOs in the AUDIO_TS folder.

You can try to disable "protection based on...", so nothing will be removed.
However, AnyDVD really doesn't understand DVD-Audio, so it probably shouldn't be used with such discs. (It won't decrypt the AUDIO_TS directory).

Well, all I can add is that every DVD-Audio disc I own that also has VIDEO_TS I can burn a backup off with full 5.1 Dolby or DTS or whatever is there for the regular DVD players.

I have often wondered why anydvd never added DVD-A....would be a cool feature.

Back