• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD BD and DVD back as image file or disk folder

bybpow

Hi,

so I want to backup my optic discs (both DVDs and BDs) but I'm not sure what format use. I know AnyDVD can do folders or image files. I also use MakeMKV for extracting the content when I need to but I want a precise copy just in case.

Which one should I choose for a backup copy?

Hi,

so I want to backup my optic discs (both DVDs and BDs) but I'm not sure what format use. I know AnyDVD can do folders or image files. I also use MakeMKV for extracting the content when I need to but I want a precise copy just in case.

Which one should I choose for a backup copy?
For DVDs, the preferred method is to rip to folder, unless you have CloneDVD2 in your list of programs, and then you can use CloneDVD2 in conjunction with AnyDVD to make an image file or a folder if you prefer. By the way, AnyDVD specifically says not to rip to image file by itself for a reason. The reason why and why you should rip Blu-ray discs to image file is explained here.

You can also use DVDShrink (available online for Free, but I'd recommend that you either go to Video Help dot com or Afterdawn dot com in order to get a copy that isn't infected with viruses or malware) after which you would have to use AnyDVD to rip the DVD to folder, and then process the resulting DVD folder with DVDShrink to either an DVD folder that you can play with any software that plays DVD folders properly or an image file that can be played with any software that plays folder/image files, such as PowerDVD. Please note, you can use VirtualClone (Free to use, and you can get here from RedFox/elby) to mount any image file in order to play your image file with any decent Blu-ray/DVD playback software available.

As far as Blu-ray discs go, the preferred method is to rip to image file, and keep protections (in case AnyDVD hasn't gotten the proper playlist correct, for example, in which case you'll need a future AnyDVD update in order to get the right playlist-- and you won't need to re-rip the Blu-ray in that case,) and then use CloneBD to make either a cleaned up image file (removing trailers, etc. that I don't want,) a MKV, or a folder to play with on PowerDVD or any software to use to play Blu-ray folders with if you prefer.

With MakeMKV, you can do anyway that you prefer, but I find that for Blu-ray, I'd rip to image with AnyDVD, and then use MakeMKV to make an MKV file.

Don't forget to get ImgBurn to help make sure your image is properly set after using AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 or AnyDVD by itself.

I also have MakeMKV, but the methods that I mentioned above is what I always use, whether with AnyDVD/CloneDVD2, AnyDVD/DVDShrink/ImgBurn, or with AnyDVD/CloneBD, or MakeMKV by itself.

So, you can you any method that you want, but you're only limited by how much space you have to backup your files.

:)

Wow, thanks for such detailed answer. So after reading this and some parts of the thread you linked I got some more doubts. Should I always rip to folder with AnyDVD and then use ImgBurn to create the ISOs? Could that be the best option for both DVD and BD to avoid future problems? I usually just use ImgBurn for creating CDs BIN/CUE.

Edit:
At first I tried to backup both to folder and image but BDs take too much space haha. Thats why I need to choose just one.

Wow, thanks for such detailed answer. So after reading this and some parts of the thread you linked I got some more doubts. Should I always rip to folder with AnyDVD and then use ImgBurn to create the ISOs? Could that be the best option for both DVD and BD to avoid future problems? I usually just use ImgBurn for creating CDs BIN/CUE.

Edit:
At first I tried to backup both to folder and image but BDs take too much space haha. Thats why I need to choose just one.
If you don't have CloneDVD2, then for DVDs, just rip to folder with AnyDVD, and then use DVDShrink/ImgBurn to make either a folder or an image file.

For Blu-rays, like I stated above, you have to rip to image file and use CloneBD, or just use MakeMKV.

If you want to save space, just convert your DVDs and Blu-rays into MKVs.

:)

Sorry to bother you again but now I have more questions...

No, if you need to choose, always rip to iso. If you need to convert iso to folder, you can do this in a few seconds with Virtual CloneDrive.

So do I always rip to ISOs? Even DVDs? Won't that give me that sectors problem in the future as said before?

Another question, I use AnyDVD for ripping but for emulation I use either WinCDEmu or DAEMON. If I rip to ISO with AnyDVD, once I have the ISO. I guess I can emulate the disc with one of those apps and rip to folder with ADVD even I don't have Virtual CloneDrive, right? Or do I need it?

Last edited:
Folder rip us recommended for DVD, if you want an iso use CloneDVD2. ISO is recommended for BD's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Folder rip us recommended for DVD, if you want an iso use CloneDVD2. ISO is recommended for BD's.

Ok so I get ISOs from BD directly from AnyDVD, right?

Now, why do I need CloneDVD for DVD's ISOs? I just purchased AnyDVD as I thought it was an all-in-one solution for ripping both DVDs and BDs. Isn't AnyDVD capable of ripping DVDs to ISOs?

Do I also need CloneBD? What's the difference?

One last thing I wonder is. If I rip a DVD to folder using AnyDVD, I can then create a ISO using ImgBurn or similar apps, right?

Last edited:
It is capable of doing that, it's just not the recommended way. As certain DVD protection mechanisms (like structural protection) would be copied over into the ISO, which theoretically can cause playback problems. structural protection cannot be removed on-the-fly (like css encryption) and is removed when ripping to folder as it remasters the fake titles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry to bother you again but know I have more questions...

So do I always rip to ISOs? Even DVDs? Won't that give me that sectors problem in the future as said before?
I would say, rip to iso until you encounter a problem.

I guess I can emulate the disc with one of those apps and rip to folder with ADVD even I don't have Virtual CloneDrive, right? Or do I need it?
Daemon should work, too. (I like VCD better, because it is less intrusive, but if it works for you...)

One las thing a wonder is. If I rip a DVD to folder using AnyDVD, I can then create a ISO using ImgBurn or similar apps, right?
Yes, you can. But you can try out what works for you. If rip to iso works fine in AnyDVD, go for it.

Thank you very much for all this info to you all.

I think I'll go with ISOs directly from AnyDVD and rip the contents to folder or MKV using MakeMKV whenever I need to. If I encounter I problem in the future, I'll rip to folder and create a ISO with ImgBurn but I hope to not have any as I will use ISOs for archiving and not burning.

This clone-replicate thing is complicated, gosh.

Thanks to you all and have a nice day!

Back