• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD and the legality of uploading logfiles

Blurayorbust

Here's a thought that crossed my mind today - AnyDVD users naturally upload logfiles to this forum if they encounter a problem with protection on a DVD or Blu-ray, the authors of AnyDVD then use the logfiles to enable the correct playback of the disc in question.

However, could it be said that uploading logfiles is illegal? I ask this as copyright holders may see it as assisting in the breaking of copy protection, therefore could the uploaders of logfiles potentially be breaking the law and perhaps get into trouble for doing so?

To extrapolate from that, could it also be said that anyone using AnyDVD is breaking the law as they are, by using AnyDVD, circumventing copy protection?

I only use AnyDVD to enable playback of my (legally purchased, original) Blu-ray discs on my PC, I've never ripped or copied a disc, but am I breaking the law just by using AnyDVD? It's something that I've never really thought about before as I only use it to play back my own discs.

Just some thoughts.

As I said in your pm, if you're worried about illegal actions, then you shouldn't be using AnyDVD or even being on these forums. Simply having AnyDVD (not even using it) is considered illegal in some countries. You're being paranoid.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

To extrapolate from that, could it also be said that anyone using AnyDVD is breaking the law as they are, by using AnyDVD, circumventing copy protection?
Usually not, but it depends which country you are in. Most people are brainwashed by the media industry and don't know their rights. I don't know any country, where using AnyDVD *for personal use* is considered a crime. But I may be wrong, of course.

@James afaik Germany to begin with.

@Blurayorbust The thing with these laws is, usually you're entitled to make a backup of things you own. The problem is that that same law usually also states you are NOT allowed to circumvent any protections that may exist on the disc. Thus effectively nullifying your right and ability to make a backup.

@James afaik Germany to begin with.
Nope. That's what the media industry wants you to think.

You know a little German? Google translate can help:
https://dejure.org/gesetze/UrhG/108b.html

The offense is punishable by imprisonment for up to one year or with a fine if the offense is not exclusively for the personal use of the perpetrator or the perpetrator of personally connected persons or relates to such use.

Again:
*is not exclusively for the personal use of the perpetrator or the perpetrator of personally connected persons or relates to such use*

Not only can you have AnyDVD, you can even use it *exclusively for the personal use ...*!

Laws must have changed then or me being mistaken. I wonder what belgian copyright law states. Going by BREIN and BAF's activities aint anything good :p

Not entirely, I don't live in Germany :p

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I hadn't realised that AnyDVD may be illegal in some countries, I only use it to enable me to play my purchased original Blu-rays on my Windows PC as I have Blu-rays from multiple regions. I've never even ripped or copied any discs. However it seems like the latest discs feature some annoying protection so even legitimate disc owners like myself are having problems in some circumstances, so I'm going to have to invest in a standalone multiregion Blu-ray player.

It seems ridiculous that I need to even use something like AnyDVD in order to play a movie on my PC, a movie which I paid for and which I own.

Last edited:
I hadn't realised that AnyDVD may be illegal in some countries, I only use it to enable me to play my purchased original Blu-rays on my Windows PC as I have Blu-rays from multiple regions. I've never even ripped or copied any discs. However it seems like the latest discs feature some annoying protection so even legitimate disc owners like myself are having problems in some circumstances, so I'm going to have to invest in a standalone multiregion Blu-ray player.

It seems ridiculous that I need to even use something like AnyDVD in order to play a movie on my PC, a movie which I paid for and which I own.
I would be surprised if using AnyDVD the way you are using it is a crime in any country.
Selling it, advertising it, ... is a crime in most countries, yes. Buying it and using it for playback or personal copies (e.g. your own media server) is not.

Back