• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD and dual layer?

truseq1

is it better to use clonedvd or clonecd for dual layer disc. i was wondering because american gangster is pretty big.

if i rip w/ anydvd ripper and then burn with clonedvd would that take care of the layer break? i never burned a dl so i just wanted to know the best way?

If you use clone dvd, and anydvd2915, you can back up American Gangster without any problems. D/L is not necessary.

CloneDVD & CloneCD both work just as well on DL discs. The only real difference is that CloneCD retains the original layer break and CloneDVD does not. CloneDVD gives you more power and flexibility by letting you remove things you don't want while CloneCD requires you to copy everything. At his time, CloneCD doesn't work with Mr. Woodcock and there is no ETA when an update that resolves that problem will come.

Both programs are great. It comes down to what you really want to do that decides which program works best for you. :)

Last edited:
Last question, is there a reason y I would want 2 keep the layer break? And I know clonedvd will do it I don't want 2 compress it that much, might look like crap on my 47 sony lcd that's y I want 2 do a dl. Thanks.

Last question, is there a reason y I would want 2 keep the layer break? And I know clonedvd will do it I don't want 2 compress it that much, might look like crap on my 47 sony lcd that's y I want 2 do a dl. Thanks.

Some people have problems when playing back their original discs with the layer break location. There might be a pause. Honestly, I've never noticed a problem with any my original discs or backups regardless of whether CloneCD or CloneDVD was used. I can't answer as to why some people are so picky about the layer break location due to my lack of any problems.

As for CloneDVD and compressing, remember you can use CloneDVD to remove garbage and still have the output size set to DVD DL (DVD-9). You still have the original quality movie but you can remove trailers and other garbage you don't want. And If you run across a disc that you feel requires too much compression for great quality you can either split the disc across 2 DVD SL discs, use a DVD DL blank, or use another transcoder or encoder to compress the DL output from CloneDVD.

Last edited:
The only real difference is that CloneCD retains the original layer break and CloneDVD does not.

Clonecd also backs up PC files that may be included as bonus material (wallpapers, screensavers, etc.). Clonedvd does not.

I can't answer as to why some people are so picky about the layer break location due to my lack of any problems.

Clonecd will retain the original layer break position; all this means is that the layer break pause you many notice while playing the original source disc will occur in the exact same place as your backup (it is felt that in some cases great care has been taken as to where this occurs on the original disc; this isn't true for all titles, but it's true for some). Clonedvd2 places the layer break position towards the end of the last chapter on the first layer. If you find the layer break position to be less jarring on the original disc (that is, the pause takes place where there isn't much going on in the film), then you may want to use Clonecd instead of Clonedvd2 when using +R DL media. Clonedvd2 is a transcoder based application; it remasters. Shrink, Recode, etc., cannot retain the original layer break position either. In terms of playback issues, generally, it shouldn't matter whether you use Clonedvd2 or Clonecd. The difference is where the layer break position occurs when using +R DL media. Generally speaking, one should use Verbatim +R DL media (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

Back