• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDvd and AVS DVD to Go...

Kasrielle

I've been using AVS DVD to Go and AVS Video Converter to convert/shrink my dvds to watch on my Creative Zen media player. Of course, I discovered that the movies from the last year couldn't be converted - so I downloaded AnyDVD 6.1.6.0. And it has been working like a charm, except with the disk "Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest." The program says it has scanned the disk, and my DVD to Go opens the DVD, but then the program just freezes up completely and won't respond (I've tried converting through both programs.) I'm not getting any error message.

I'm running XP s2 and my DVD drive is TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S182D. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this disk just super protected? Can I copy it to my HD using AnyDvdRipper, and then convert it from there?

Thanks!
Kasrielle

1. Do step 8 from here

2. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

3. Try Anydvd ripper (and import that rip into whatever program you're using).

The region 1 disc works fine with
Clonedvd 2.9.0.9
Nero Recode 2.5.4.0
Dvd Shrink 3.2

Last edited:
Here is the log:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
TSSTCORP CD/DVDW SH-S182D SB03 0904
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2026288 sectors (3957 MBytes)
Total size: 3998603 sectors (7809 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: PIRATES_OF_THE_CARIBBEAN_2
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Found & removed Macrovision RipGuard protection!
Found & removed error zones between files!
Found & removed invalid program from program chain!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 2 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

(What does it mean - "Media is CSS Protected")

Nero CD-DVD Speed reports no errors.

I'll try ripping it with AnyDVD now.

I was able to rip it with AnyDvd Ripper and now it's converting! Problem solved.

Given what I posted above, any ideas why it didn't want to work from the disk? Or is this just "one of those things..."?

I appreciate all your help.

I was able to rip it with AnyDvd Ripper and now it's converting! Problem solved.

Anydvd ripper helps to clean up disc structures. Your observations indicate that AVS programs are even worse at handling Macrovision Ripguard than DVD Shrink 3.2, which is saying a lot. The issue is with the AVS programs.

Read this

Anydvd ripper helps to clean up disc structures. Your observations indicate that AVS programs are even worse at handling Macrovision Ripguard than DVD Shrink 3.2, which is saying a lot. The issue is with the AVS programs.

Read this

I've been able to use AVS with every other disk I have, including "Dreamgirls", which just came out. The ONLY disk I've not been able to convert without ripping first was Pirates 2. Overall I've been really happy with AVS - and since I paid for it I'd rather not have to buy CloneDVD as well. (Though I will down the line if I have to.)

That said, I value your opinion, and really appreciate your help.

I've been able to use AVS with every other disk I have, including "Dreamgirls", which just came out. The ONLY disk I've not been able to convert without ripping first was Pirates 2.

You will come across others, undoubtedly. Again, the issue is with your AVS software as most other programs, including freeware can handle that disc without requiring Anydvd to rip first.

I paid for it I'd rather not have to buy CloneDVD as well. (Though I will down the line if I have to.

I never stated you had to. I posted that link so you can see the methods you're supposed to take should directly importing a disc fail.

I don't know why you think the problem is with AVS. AVS is NOT a decryption program, and doesn't claim to be. It's a conversion program. AnyDvd is the decryption program - so it seems to me that, if a DVD is still protected after using AnyDVD - it is a problem with AnyDVD.

I don't know why you think the problem is with AVS. AVS is NOT a decryption program, and doesn't claim to be. It's a conversion program. AnyDvd is the decryption program - so it seems to me that, if a DVD is still protected after using AnyDVD - it is a problem with AnyDVD.

Here you go Webslinger and James, Shrink part deux.

It's not still protected. If a disc can be opened using every single program except AVS, I'm sorry, but the problem lies with AVS. DVD Shrink forces a pretty strict dvd-video standard compliance. If Anydvd works on this disc for Shrink, Nero Recode, dvdnextcopy, 1-click, clonedvd, dvd rebuilder, etc., then the problem is a limitation in AVS.

Furthermore Anydvd ripper does work for AVS on this disc, so you do have something to fall back on regardless.

Last edited:
Back