Anydvd 6123 crashed my pc at first

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by sneakers, Feb 17, 2007.

1. sneakers

sneakers Well-Known Member

Update works great but it did crash my pc when it first rebooted. I couldn't even reboot so I had to turn the surge protector off and on then turn my pc back on. Works great now! :)

2. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

probably wasn't anything to do with the updated version.

3. khlb

khlb Well-Known Member

Surge protector ? :confused:

4. sneakers

sneakers Well-Known Member

You are supposed to plug your pc into a surge protector in case of a power surge in the line. If you don't and your power goes out or your house is hit by lightening your pc could be fried. When your power goes out and comes back on a surge is sent through the line and could fry your pc same with lightening.

B0009B0HEE.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  5. bilbo65

bilbo65 Well-Known Member

:disagree: Flaky PC. Not an anyDVD problem....:agree:

6. Whisperer

Whisperer Well-Known Member

Geez, I better get one ... that lightning talk is really scaring me. Because everyone is always telling me "God is gonna get you" :(

Whisperer

7. SLaTheR-

SLaTheR- Well-Known Member

Guess you have never had a mother board fry due to power surge.

As soon as it happens you'll be buying surge protectors. As well as a new PC. 8)

8. bilbo65

A very rare event.....

9. khlb

khlb Well-Known Member

And I thought it was the Moderators – anyway thanks for the explanation sneakers
    :D

10. TPLAT

TPLAT Well-Known Member

I use surge protectors. We had a lightening strike close to my house one time and I saw blue sparks pop out of an unused plug in near my tv.

11. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

Power

Better still, get a battery back-up. It will help with surges (if a bolt hits your house not much will help and in case God can hit a 1 iron) and keep it going for a while during an outage.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  12. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Not all that rare in certain parts of the country. I live in the MidWest and lightning is a very real and common occurrence in the Spring and Summer months.
    Persoanlly, I like PC owners who don't have Surge protection......... I get to sell them more parts.:D

13. bilbo65

Lightning and thunder storms are real and common.....Affecting your computer is a rare event....:)

14. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

You are correct to a point Bilbo65, if Lightning strikes a power station the power in you house may be disrupted and when the power returns the surge may affect some of your electronics. If Lightning strikes your house, your computer is the last thing you will worry about.:agree:

15. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

Not where I live. I've lost over 5 computers to lightning over the past 10 years. I even have lightning rods around my house. I've got everything on good surge protectors now, but, it's not that rare for us. :)

16. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

The voice of experience! :D
    I haven't had to resort to lightning rods but I do have surge protectors on every PC that I own and I have never lost a PC to electrical damage. I have lost 3 surge protectors in the last 5 yrs.

17. DetroitBaseball

DetroitBaseball Well-Known Member

I've never lost a surge protector or a computer to lightning.

18. bilbo65

Me either, obviously......:D

19. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

It's not something I'm actually HAPPY about, mind you. :) I haven't lost anything in quite a while, but, it definitely has happened. The last machine to fry was over at my uncle's house next door. We have a little field between us that gets hit once in a while. Fun to watch, sucks to lose equipment.