• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD 6.1.6.4 beta

And AnyDVD breaks it! God I love this program.

Ever considered writing a book on copy-protections James? Decscribing the different ones, how to break them, any hints etc. Put it on the website so we could download it!

Yes. I have spotted it now on 3 titles (one from Germany, two from the U.S.).

Do you know who the publishers of those films are (or what movie studios)?

Free Zone was released by New Yorker Video (in region 1), which I've never heard of before.

Last edited:
Do you know who the publishers of those films are (or what movie studios)?

Free Zone was released by New Yorker Video (in region 1), which I've never heard of before.

I only have some .ifo files, no discs or packaging.
One other title certainly is from New Yorker films. IIRC they used RipGuard before, either this is a new try from Macrovision, or a new protection supplier.

I only have some .ifo files, no discs or packaging.
One other title certainly is from New Yorker films. IIRC they used RipGuard before, either this is a new try from Macrovision, or a new protection supplier.

Thank you for the info! :)

I wonder if it hampers any freeware decrypters. In other words, I wonder if the intended target was something other than Anydvd.

Don't know. I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere but that doesn't mean much. The only one I could imagine it affecting would be the one no longer in development...the other freeware decrypter I can think of would be updated in a matter of days/weeks to handle it. But somehow I doubt it will affect the "no longer in development" decrypter. ;) Only one protection that I'm aware of stops that thing so far. In any case, Slysoft doesn't take very long to get us updates and that's all I care about. :)

In any case, Slysoft doesn't take very long to get us updates and that's all I care about. :)

I agree. I just wonder if we're going to see something new that will become more widespread in an effort to stop people from using deadware freeware rippers.

Only if it comes from Sony...Hence my curiosity about the last couple weeks and whether they're going to adopt the Protect DVD Video protection for their discs and start to spread it out to other regions. If so, it proves that they haven't learned a damn thing.

Only if it comes from Sony...Hence my curiosity about the last couple weeks and whether they're going to adopt the Protect DVD Video protection for their discs and start to spread it out to other regions. If so, it proves that they haven't learned a damn thing.

I doubt Sony will use anything else than Arccos (they have their own company Sony DADC developing it). They are probably just verifying, that the newest version works with Sony DVD players before deploying it... :D

Last edited:
I doubt Sony will use anything else than Arccos (they have their own company Sony DADC developing it). They probably just verifying, that the newest version works with Sony DVD players before deploying it... :D

BAHAHAHAHA! ROFLMAO! You could be right. Either that or they're so busy trying to get BD+ to work that they've lost focus on the DVD market. :D

BAHAHAHAHA! ROFLMAO! You could be right. Either that or they're so busy trying to get BD+ to work that they've lost focus on the DVD market. :D
Again, very unlikely. BD has probably 0.5% of the market share for home movies (other 0.5% is HD DVD).
I honestly believe, that the studios are not very happy about AnyDVD HD, but I also believe they don't care soooo much. Fox and Disney maybe exceptions, people speculate that they "hold back releases because AACS was hacked". Unlikely. The reason "they hold back, because nobody is willing to buy their crap" is more likely. At least they deliver the "big blockbusters" which will at least sell a couple of copies like Pirates of the Carribean regardless of AnyDVD HD.

EDIT: Even if it looks like it, the studio executives (at least some of them) aren't completely stupid. They know very well, that they won't sell more without AnyDVD HD.
IMHO they would sell less.

Last edited:
I agree, they would sell less without AnyDVD HD out there. Simply because so many people DO NOT HAVE THE HDCP COMPLIANT HARDWARE! But I disagree about Sony not thinking BD is all the rage...they're so freaking arrogant that they truly believe everyone's either going to go buy a PS3 or a stand alone player because it's SOOOOO much better than DVD. And it IS better than DVD, but, mainstream people are not going to buy it until they can get it for 100 bucks at some discount store and plug it into their 300 dollar tv. Ok, I'm oversimplifying slightly but it wasn't until DVD players broke 200 bucks that the mainstream sucked them up. And I won't buy a stand alone player until I can get one that does both HD-DVD and BluRay for under 300 bucks. I'm quite happy with HD-DVD on my 360 and PC right now. I just wish the studios would make it a fair fight and release all content on both formats and let the market decide which one they want...Unfortunately, that's not going to happen and we're going to be forced kicking and screaming into the bluray camp because they have the most exclusives and studio support. It rather sucks if you ask me.

I just wish the studios would make it a fair fight and release all content on both formats and let the market decide which one they want...Unfortunately, that's not going to happen and we're going to be forced kicking and screaming into the bluray camp because they have the most exclusives and studio support. It rather sucks if you ask me.
It does, but let's wait and see... the HD DVD camp still has a chance, if

1.) chinese manufacturers flood the market with less than 150$ HD DVD players based on the Microsoft & Broadcomm reference design

2.) Microsoft starts shipping HD DVD player software with Vista (or extend their Windows media player)

If this happens, then you can watch the BD exclusive studios going neutral. They won't throw away money. History repeats itself - remember Disney/Fox and DVDs? They supported DIVX (the "pay per view" system).
It took Disney years before they started to make DVDs. Now they are making a fortune with it.

And, if you like cool movies, HD DVD isn't that bad at all. We have the small studios like the Weinstein's, which have released some really nice HD DVD exclusives, like Clerks 2, The Matador and Lucky # Slevin.
If you are clever, you can import a lot of titles which are BD exclusive in the US from other countries, like The Prestige (UK, Germany) or Terminator 2 (France).
And there are some "HD DVD only exclusives" from Europe not available in the US, like Arizona Dream, Mulholland Dr., Running Scared, Perfume - History of a murder, Enemy at the Gates, Ran, Renaissance, ...
amazon.co.uk, amazon.fr, and amazon.de are your friends. ;)

But I disagree about Sony not thinking BD is all the rage...they're so freaking arrogant that they truly believe everyone's either going to go buy a PS3 or a stand alone player because it's SOOOOO much better than DVD.
Sony is arrogant, yes, but not stupid either. They will have their main focus on "classic" DVDs, simply because there is so much money to be made (and they benefit from DVD license fees, if I am not mistaken).
But they are very aggressively marketing BD, because in the long term they must get the huge investment back (like the losses they make with the PS3). I wish them luck. Not. :D

remember Disney/Fox and DVDs? They supported DIVX (the "pay per view" system).
It took Disney years before they started to make DVDs. Now they are making a fortune with it.

I remember that crap all too well. Fortunately the public chose to ignore it. That's, unfortunately, not happening with BluRay. I realize how early it is in the race between formats, but, everyone is watching the "trends" closely and the media is certainly doing their part to remain neutral. (RIGHT....I can't bring myself to even SAY that with a straight face much less believe it!)

And, if you like cool movies, HD DVD isn't that bad at all. We have the small studios like the Weinstein's, which have released some really nice HD DVD exclusives, like Clerks 2, The Matador and Lucky # Slevin.
If you are clever, you can import a lot of titles which are BD exclusive in the US from other countries, like The Prestige (UK, Germany) or Terminator 2 (France).
And there are some "HD DVD only exclusives" from Europe not available in the US, like Arizona Dream, Mulholland Dr., Running Scared, Perfume - History of a murder, Enemy at the Gates, Ran, Renaissance, ...
amazon.co.uk, amazon.fr, and amazon.de are your friends. ;)

Ah, yes, I keep forgetting that HD-DVD is region free. I might have to poke around the amazon sites and see what I can find that isn't available in my region. That could be fun. :)

In the end, though, I still feel that Sony has a better than average chance with BluRay, as much as it irks me. I do remember history quite well, but, there's also one other thing that SERIOUSLY bothers me. There are NO burners for HD-DVD and NO media available. BluRay media is already in stores in my area. Nothing but chirping crickets for HD-DVD. That is going to sway some influential people's decisions, too, I'm afraid.

Sony is arrogant, yes, but not stupid either. They will have their main focus on "classic" DVDs, simply because there is so much money to be made (and they benefit from DVD license fees, if I am not mistaken).
But they are very aggressively marketing BD, because in the long term they must get the huge investment back (like the losses they make with the PS3). I wish them luck. Not. :D

But how much money are they willing to put into copy protection development during the transition period? That's what I wonder. I'm sure they're pouring money into BD+ and getting that working, but, are they really going to do another iteration of ARccOS? It costs them uber bucks to make it, and a day for you to break it. (HAHAHAHA). This game gets expensive for them after a while...

But how much money are they willing to put into copy protection development during the transition period? That's what I wonder. I'm sure they're pouring money into BD+ and getting that working, but, are they really going to do another iteration of ARccOS? It costs them uber bucks to make it, and a day for you to break it. (HAHAHAHA). This game gets expensive for them after a while...

Sure, but they are licensing Arccos to 3rd party studios as well, so they make money with it (Lions Gate isn't a part of Sony Pictures, is it?)
And who guarantees them that we won't break BD+ a few days *before* the official release, too? Like we did it with AACS v3? :D

Sure, but they are licensing Arccos to 3rd party studios as well, so they make money with it (Lions Gate isn't a part of Sony Pictures, is it?)
And who guarantees them that we won't break BD+ a few days *before* the official release, too? Like we did it with AACS v3? :D

You are right, they are not part of the Sony conglomerate...at least not directly that I can see. So yea, they could indeed actually be recouping at least part of the development costs of making ARccOS. (Poor saps that actually buy into it. LOL!)

As for BD+, I would fall out of my chair laughing if that happened. :) I'm all for studios making money and selling their product, but, these ridiculous protection schemes do nothing but interfere with legitimate owners of content. For instance, what if I buy an HD-DVD but don't have HD-DVD players in all my rooms? I decide I want to master a DVD from it so that I can play it on all my equipment. The AACS LA even agrees this is a perfectly fine idea, but, the implementation of their DRM ridden copy management crap isn't done yet so I can't do that on titles I already own. One more thorn in my side. (Of course, if the software to make such a conversion was available already, I WOULD be able to do so thanks to AnyDVD HD...hint hint ;) )

The AACS LA even agrees this is a perfectly fine idea, but, the implementation of their DRM ridden copy management crap isn't done yet so I can't do that on titles I already own. One more thorn in my side. (Of course, if the software to make such a conversion was available already, I WOULD be able to do so thanks to AnyDVD HD...hint hint ;) )
hint, hint ... hehe!
I strongly suggest, that you buy the HD DVD version, and - if it isn't already a double sided combo disc - rent the DVD version and copy it.
(BTW I hate the combos, I never know which side has to go up)
This is perfectly fine from a moral point of view (you already paid for Bruce Willis jumping out of a running train with your HD DVD disc, haven't you?).
And it will always be better than down converting a HD DVD version, because

1.) You'll get nice menus. You can't copy the HD menus, as the navigation works very different, so HD DVD to DVD will be "movie only".
2.) You will avoid all problems with multiple streams (subtitles, interactive subtitles like the new Studio Canal titles)
3.) The quality will probably better
4.) It will take a fraction of the time. With CloneDVD or CD you'll be ready in a few minutes. Down converting will take many hours.

Back