• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any PSU experts? Type 2 vs Type 4 cables

DQ

Good morning, I bought a cable to power my 4080. The reason is I wanted a right angle on the 16 pin plug on the GPU as I can see it gets pulled on from the weight of the cable.

I bought a Cooler Master cable which claims to be compatible with Corsair PSUs (which I have). My PCIE power cables on my PSU are type 4, the Cooler Master cable says Type 2.

The PSU end of the Cooler Master cable does fit in my PSU. But the PCIE plugs are 8 pin and the Cooler Master has 8 sockets but only 6 pins.

I tried the cable in that I turned on my PSU but did not hit the power button on the PC. I stopped and did not do that because the little red light on the GPU that is on so long as the PSU is on did not come on.

Just looking for an explanation of this. For whatever reason details on this are scant.

Thanks.

My understanding is (and I could be wrong) is the types only apply to the CPU connectors. PCIe cables all have the same pin-out and 6+2 is compatible with 8-pin. BUT the orientation of the cable does matter. That is, one end is specifically for the PSU and the other is for the card. You cannot swap it around. The only other thing I can think of that may be wrong is the new cable is confusing the GPU into thinking it has the extra 8-pin power when you doesn't (i.e., something with the sense pins).

Reactions: DQ
My understanding is (and I could be wrong) is the types only apply to the CPU connectors. PCIe cables all have the same pin-out and 6+2 is compatible with 8-pin. BUT the orientation of the cable does matter. That is, one end is specifically for the PSU and the other is for the card. You cannot swap it around. The only other thing I can think of that may be wrong is the new cable is confusing the GPU into thinking it has the extra 8-pin power when you doesn't (i.e., something with the sense pins).
Thanks for the reply man. Yeah it's weird I cannot figure it out. I would love to use the cable but I am terrified I hit the power button and my 4080 goes poof and lets out the magic smoke.

Thanks for the reply man. Yeah it's weird I cannot figure it out. I would love to use the cable but I am terrified I hit the power button and my 4080 goes poof and lets out the magic smoke.

Use multi-meter or continuity tester and verify the pin-outs match.

@DQ

Verifying the pinout with continuity is my personal strategy. The only one to blame is yourself if you do not test it correctly.

Beyond that, maybe find another way to support your 4080 card with the known PSU cable. Zip ties or another support system might provide better support than exchanging the PSU cable.

Good morning, I bought a cable to power my 4080. The reason is I wanted a right angle on the 16 pin plug on the GPU as I can see it gets pulled on from the weight of the cable.

I bought a Cooler Master cable which claims to be compatible with Corsair PSUs (which I have). My PCIE power cables on my PSU are type 4, the Cooler Master cable says Type 2.

The PSU end of the Cooler Master cable does fit in my PSU. But the PCIE plugs are 8 pin and the Cooler Master has 8 sockets but only 6 pins.

I tried the cable in that I turned on my PSU but did not hit the power button on the PC. I stopped and did not do that because the little red light on the GPU that is on so long as the PSU is on did not come on.

Just looking for an explanation of this. For whatever reason details on this are scant.

Thanks.
I didn't see that type at their site when I looked for it. I would contact Corsair and ask them if it is compatable. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/legacy-psu-cable-compatibility Items ordered online from CORSAIR that arrived damaged or are incorrect can be returned to CORSAIR by creating a ticket at:https://help.corsair.com, or by contacting Customer Service at 1-888-222-4346 option 3
Code:
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us
Code:

Last edited:
I didn't see that type at their site when I looked for it. I would contact Corsair and ask them if it is compatable. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/legacy-psu-cable-compatibility Items ordered online from CORSAIR that arrived damaged or are incorrect can be returned to CORSAIR by creating a ticket at:https://help.corsair.com, or by contacting Customer Service at 1-888-222-4346 option 3
Code:
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us
Code:

I appreciate the suggestion. I don't know how often you deal with vendor support (I have to do it frequently unfortunately) but at this point just about any support is overseas (from the US) in India or the Philippines. So between losing something in translation and this seemingly to be an atypical situation I would not trust what they told me. I would still be concerned just the same.

Ha! If I could do that I would not have posted :p
You could compare it to the cable you were using and see if the pins match. They will only plug in one way. Or maybe contact the place where you bought the video card and see if they can give you some information on the cables compatability.

I appreciate the suggestion. I don't know how often you deal with vendor support (I have to do it frequently unfortunately) but at this point just about any support is overseas (from the US) in India or the Philippines. So between losing something in translation and this seemingly to be an atypical situation I would not trust what they told me. I would still be concerned just the same.
I have dealt with support plenty of times. Usually they would have you do something I have already tried a couple times anyway that was on their website. The language difference could definitely be a problem. I try to get something through email so if something does happen I have a record of what they said to do.

I have dealt with support plenty of times. Usually they would have you do something I have already tried a couple times anyway that was on their website. The language difference could definitely be a problem. I try to get something through email so if something does happen I have a record of what they said to do.
Again, I appreciate the replies. But I know how that support goes normally (not always) and I would not trust it in this case regardless.

I did check pins on one end, I need to check them on the other though. But I suspect it will have all 8 pins populated.

Last edited:
Ha! If I could do that I would not have posted :p
They make dead-simple continuity testers. They are just two wires and a light. You put the two leads (wire tips) in the two matching ends of the cables and if they are connected, the light comes on. If the light fails to comes one, they aren't connected.

I didn't see that type at their site when I looked for it. I would contact Corsair and ask them if it is compatable.

@DQ is attempting to use a Cooler Master cable (Cooler Master Type 2) with a Corsair PSU that requires Corsair Type 4.

It should be noted that there is no standards between manufacturers. Sure some cables between different manufacturers might be compatible with each other, but in general cables from one manufacturer are not compatible with another manufacturer's PSU.

Cooler Master is suggesting that their Type 2 cable is compatible with Corsair Type 4.

No way can I suggest this without continuity testing the Cooler Master Type 2 cable to ensure it's the same as Corsair Type 4.

They make dead-simple continuity testers. They are just two wires and a light. You put the two leads (wire tips) in the two matching ends of the cables and if they are connected, the light comes on. If the light fails to comes one, they aren't connected.

Not quite so simple I don't believe. This is an Nvidia GPU cable. It's 3 8 pin connectors on 1 end and 1 16 pin connector on the other end.

Not quite so simple I don't believe. This is an Nvidia GPU cable. It's 3 8 pin connectors on 1 end and 1 16 pin connector on the other end.

Sorry. I don't think you're understanding me. You test each pin individually, not all together.

@DQ

Save yourself further problems: Toss that Cooler Master cable in the trash.

It's not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Back