• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any particular reason to create an ISO for local decrypted files?

Swazirs

Let's say I have a decrypted DVD/Blu-ray in my SSD... the entire disc.

Meaning: VIDEO_TS or BDMV/etc. folders;

If there's some extra content in root, perhaps a software provided by the company.

For DVDs, I can use VLC, Media Player Classic or similar programs to open the VIDEO_TS folder.

For Blu-rays, probably a similar app exists.

Let's also assume I am storing these folders as data, in a BD-R. Or when I need to watch the original authoring, simply go back to my SSD.

The question is: why would someone put all these folders inside any ISO?

Isn't this a waste of time, like putting it inside a RAR?

+++++++++++++++
For preserving what I have:

What I usually do for both is this:

Convert whatever the disc had for MKV/lossless; movie and bonus contents. Some stuff can't (or will break if I do, not all slideshows can be viewed that way)

Remove from the decrypted folders what was already converted into MKV. For example, if the movie spends 90% of the disc, go to BDMV/STREAM and locate the m2ts, then delete it, to avoid duplicates. Same for extra features.

Most of the time, idea #2 works, but for some DVDs if you remove one single VOB, the disc will not start AT ALL, so no way to even see the menus; for a few DVDs, at least 1-2 GB need to be there, for the disc authoring to still work;

There was a case I removed probably 95% of it, just to check the menus (and probably some text pages), and it worked. So the DVD was reduced from 4-6 GB to less than 500 MB.

In one of the removals, only VLC opened the DVD, while MPC refused to do, and gave me a blank screen. Also, even if the players run the VIDEO_TS with a smaller size, of course we can't visit the removed content, otherwise the player will crash/return a black screen.

++++++++++++++
Depending on the complexity of the DVD/Blu-ray, it's not advisable to remove anything AT ALL, even if we could. I noticed that for the Star Wars classic trilogy, and the bonus disc from Dungeons and Dragons (the animated series from 1983). Accessing these bonus contents from the many menus was a much better idea than doing from isolated MKVs + returning to the menus, otherwise we would be lost and not understand why they these specific videos were made in the first place.

Understanding the differences between ISO files, RAR archives and ripping is crucial when managing content from DVDs or Blu-rays, as it helps determine the best approach for preserving, archiving, and accessing the content.

ISO Files:​

• Nature: An ISO file is a digital copy of a disc containing the original medium's exact file system and physical structure.
  • Usage: Blu-ray (BD-ROM) content is best suited for ISO files, as they usually lack the structural protections found on some DVDs. An ISO of a Blu-ray disc retains all the essential elements of the disc, including high-definition movie files, menus, and unique features. This allows for a complete disc experience when played back or mounted with compatible software.

RAR Archives:​

• Nature: A RAR file is a compressed archive that reduces the size of stored files. However, it does not maintain the disk's file system or structure.
  • Usage: RAR can store files compactly. However, it is not an appropriate option for bootable media or discs with complex interactive menus.

DVD Ripping and Structural Protection:​

• Consideration: Many DVDs have structural protections like unreadable sectors and complex navigation structures that hinder ripping.
  • Recommended Approach: Ripping DVDs as a structure is often better, preserving the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents rather than creating a single ISO image. This method can help bypass the structural protections with the help of AnyDVD HD and ensure more reliable archiving and playback. AnyDVD HD can navigate these protections and extract the content in a way that retains the original quality and interactivity without the limitations of the physical disc's structural protections when ripped as structure.

Combining Techniques for Preservation:​

• Creating an ISO image for Blu-ray discs can be a simple way to keep the entire disc experience, as they're less likely to have structural protections found on DVDs.
  • When ripping DVDs, it's more effective to rip to a structure like the VIDEO_TS folder, especially for those with structural protections. This ensures that the content, including menus and unique features, is preserved and accessible. You can also use CloneDVD with AnyDVD HD enabled to rip to ISO; it will first rip to the structure and then create the ISO from that.

Creating an iso from folder structure is pointless. You should not do a rip-to-folder in the first place. Sector locations are lost, overlapping file content is duplicated (stereoscopic 3D discs), interleaving of multi angle. Meta information is gone.
You can create a "folder view" from an iso in seconds by mounting it with Virtual CloneDrive. But you cannot recreate an iso from a folder.

Back