• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any official word on Linux support?

BluGhost

I understand getting Linux support together would probably be a huge pain in the ass, but as more and more people are wanting to move away from Windows, it could really be worth it to get a head-start on getting basic support for Linux as well!

The developers of AnyDVD have stated that the program will continue to be a Windows program only, unless you have Boot Camp and an Apple PC/laptop working together, if I recall correctly.

But, the future is always in question. Maybe someday, who knows?

:)

EDIT: Actually, AnyDVD works only with Parallels on a Mac only, along with any other RedFox software such as AnyStream.

Last edited:
I understand getting Linux support together would probably be a huge pain in the ass, but as more and more people are wanting to move away from Windows, it could really be worth it to get a head-start on getting basic support for Linux as well!
To answer your question, no there has been no word on support for Linux, nor do I expect there to be, now that doesn't mean somewhere down the line there won't be support for it, I have absolutely no idea. There have been several threads on this, please do a search and maybe you can find a Staff member mentioning if Linux will be included with AnyStream.
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the...treams-with-linux-lets-go.82203/#post-552004f

Last edited:
but as more and more people are wanting to move away from Windows

That's very anecdotal and I would disagree with that sentiment for 2 reasons. The first is, I don't see that movement any more than I typically have over the last few decades. That's my perception and that too is anecdotal. Secondly, this idea that there will be "one OS to rule them all" is shortsighted. Sure, we all like one or the other over the others. But at the end of the day they each have their place and some do things better than the others. It just depends on your own preferences and your needs/goals.

Just as a real world example, I use the heck out of both Windows and Linux. Probably everything I touch is a good 50/50 split on those 2. Now 20 years ago there was more Unix in there and I used a good bit of AS400 as well but it seems to me Linux has replaced a lot of that.

Anyways, just a different take on that topic is all I was trying to provide.

That's very anecdotal and I would disagree with that sentiment for 2 reasons. The first is, I don't see that movement any more than I typically have over the last few decades. That's my perception and that too is anecdotal. Secondly, this idea that there will be "one OS to rule them all" is shortsighted. Sure, we all like one or the other over the others. But at the end of the day they each have their place and some do things better than the others. It just depends on your own preferences and your needs/goals.

Just as a real world example, I use the heck out of both Windows and Linux. Probably everything I touch is a good 50/50 split on those 2. Now 20 years ago there was more Unix in there and I used a good bit of AS400 as well but it seems to me Linux has replaced a lot of that.

Anyways, just a different take on that topic is all I was trying to provide.
I sort of remember reading that Windows was used by more than 90% of the computers worldwide, but that may have been an old article.

Reactions: DQ
I sort of remember reading that Windows was used by more than 90% of the computers worldwide, but that may have been an old article.
A wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers
Notice the percentages for developer machines.

The percentages for desktop gaming:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_computer_games
Since mid-2020, the world uses smartphones more than desktop (including laptop) computers.

There have been several threads on this, please do a search and maybe you can find a Staff member mentioning if Linux will be included with AnyStream.
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the...treams-with-linux-lets-go.82203/#post-552004f

I've already searched and I found pretty much no reply regarding adding Linux support so I want to ask the developers directly.

The first is, I don't see that movement any more than I typically have over the last few decades. That's my perception and that too is anecdotal. Secondly, this idea that there will be "one OS to rule them all" is shortsighted.

- Have you seen the response to Windows 11 and all of Microsoft's incredibly tone-deaf decisions regarding it? lol Go to any YouTube video on it and I almost guarantee it will be filled with "WTF is this shit? I'm staying on Windows 10/switching to Linux finally." Not to mention how bad Windows 10 already is as well. And mind you, this is actually coming from someone who was a huge Windows fan and has full retail copies of Windows from XP Pro to 7 Ultimate to 10 Professional. Windows used to be amazing, but now, Microsoft doesn't seem to care about it anymore besides pushing a mysterious agenda nobody knows or cares about.

- I never said "One OS to rule them all" or anything like that. I just said more and more people want to switch from Windows to Linux. Also, last time Steam did a Hardware survey, Linux rose a full percentage point. Not much of course, but considering that and the incoming impact of the Linux-driven Steam Deck, we're gonna see more and more people using Linux, even if it's not ALL of the people of course.

If'n the devs ever decide to support another OS in addition to Windows the percentage of MacOS desktop/laptop would more than likely be the 2nd OS. 15.93% as of Sept 2021.

*nix at 2.35% wouldn't be a very efficient of resources to have a *nix version.

Blu, ultimately it is up to the developers, what they deem is worth their time and effort to support to have AnyDVD run natively. So far their lack of public discussion makes the issue moot.

Sheer percentage-wise MacOS is more likely to be become natively supported IMO, *nix would need to gobble up a much larger market share before that becomes an attractive option.

- Have you seen the response to Windows 11 and all of Microsoft's incredibly tone-deaf decisions regarding it? lol Go to any YouTube video on it and I almost guarantee it will be filled with "WTF is this shit? I'm staying on Windows 10/switching to Linux finally." Not to mention how bad Windows 10 already is as well. And mind you, this is actually coming from someone who was a huge Windows fan and has full retail copies of Windows from XP Pro to 7 Ultimate to 10 Professional. Windows used to be amazing, but now, Microsoft doesn't seem to care about it anymore besides pushing a mysterious agenda nobody knows or cares about.

- I never said "One OS to rule them all" or anything like that. I just said more and more people want to switch from Windows to Linux. Also, last time Steam did a Hardware survey, Linux rose a full percentage point. Not much of course, but considering that and the incoming impact of the Linux-driven Steam Deck, we're gonna see more and more people using Linux, even if it's not ALL of the people of course.

That comes up basically every single release of Windows. As I mentioned your info is mostly anecdotal but so is mine. It's just our perception of what we see and what we are around. We can agree to disagree, that is fine.

I am not a fan of any OS. To me they are tools to be used. Whatever wrench fits better I use. I don't play favorites. That's not to say they don't change over time, they do. But the goal remains the same, use the best tool for the job.

If'n the devs ever decide to support another OS in addition to Windows the percentage of MacOS desktop/laptop would more than likely be the 2nd OS. 15.93% as of Sept 2021.

*nix at 2.35% wouldn't be a very efficient of resources to have a *nix version.

One thing to keep in mind is that those numbers aren't taking into account who's dual-booting Linux or running Windows in a VM.

While I fully stand by the fact that Linux is going to be growing heavily in the near future, that is merely a cool bonus. I'm not asking for Linux support just because. This isn't about marketshare and who's got the bigger dick. This is about stability and supporting an open and secure platform. And if we're gonna pick another OS to port AnyDVD to, sorry, but I don't think it's the best idea to port it to yet ANOTHER locked down platform that's even more restrictive than Windows in some ways and treats gamers like second-class citizens on top of everything else. Sometimes worse than. (Admittedly though, that second part is not too relevant to this discussion.) Not to mention all the recent privacy violations of Apple. Perhaps back in the day, I would have agreed OSX wouldn't be a bad decision, but as things stand now, there needs to be a rally behind an operating system that doesn't treat its users like children who need to be told what to do.

After all, aren't we all here because of our affinity for disobedience?

One more thing about marketshare. Every time someone asks for a Linux port of anything, it's almost always greeted by this same answer of lack of marketshare. Well, people don't want to use Linux because programs aren't compatible with it, but programs aren't compatible with it because not a lot of people use Linux! This cycle needs to stop. Everyone pays lip service to how great Linux is, but when it comes time to invest and put in the hours and money, everyone quickly disappears. Please... Let's not be like that.

That comes up basically every single release of Windows.

I actually get what you're saying, but Windows has been on an objective and marked decline. Ever since 2010, it's been slowwllyyy regressing, marked with the first release of Windows 8 for all the tablets people didn't want to use, to Windows 10 with its forced and buggy-as-hell updates and now, quite bloated performance and slight compatibility issues, to Windows 11 with this stupid obsession with cramming TPM down everyone's throats plus some other fun stuff that may or may not ship with the OS as well. We'll see about that. Compare all this crap to Windows 7? XP? Hell, let's go with Vista. Supposedly one of the worst OSes Microsoft ever released, but Vista was only bad due to lazy OEMs not putting out drivers, not quite polished OS performance, and some annoying security precautions. All of which were fixed and remedied. 10 though these days makes Vista look like a sterling success.

And hey, I'm not asking the devs to give up support for Windows anyway. Just that they investigate alternatives to keep the software on secure footing.

10 though these days makes Vista look like a sterling success

I disagree with most everything you said based on my own experience but that is just straight up crazy. I am sorry. But I installed, maintained and supported Vista and it was awful. The only one worse than Vista was 98 SE. 98 SE was a buggy mess and it crashed liked a punk. Vista was a mess as well but not as bad as 98 SE.

I get you don't fancy Win10 and that's fine but to say it's worse than Vista is very incorrect in my opinion. We can agree to disagree and that's fine but I have run and supported all those OS's in enterprise environments so I am very familiar with each.

I sound like a Windows fanboy but I am not. I wish Linux and or Mac was a more viable option. Well really Linux, don't care for the uber proprietary model much. I have hope Linux will grow their market share. Ubuntu has done much in this direction although losing CentOS was a blow (friggen IBM).

I disagree with most everything you said based on my own experience but that is just straight up crazy. I am sorry. But I installed, maintained and supported Vista and it was awful. The only one worse than Vista was 98 SE. 98 SE was a buggy mess and it crashed liked a punk. Vista was a mess as well but not as bad as 98 SE.

Are you perhaps confusing Windows 98SE with Windows ME? I liked 98SE (I think a lot of people did)? Windows ME was an unmitigated disaster.

Are you perhaps confusing Windows 98SE with Windows ME? I liked 98SE (I think a lot of people did)? Windows ME was an unmitigated disaster.
Guys, forget about the past. 98SE or ME or Vista. Who cares? I even skipped XP. Win2000 was very stable, then swichted to 7 and then to 10.

That's sounds about right if you're talking desktop/laptop computers. If you include servers and embedded systems, Windows is a small fraction.

Guys, forget about the past. 98SE or ME or Vista. Who cares?

I care. I love old computers. I grow up in the microcomputer days. I think computers were a lot more fun back then.

I care. I love old computers. I grow up in the microcomputer days. I think computers were a lot more fun back then.
Me,too. I had those Windows versions on a second or third computers just for purposes to discuss the hiccups of those. And these PCs were the older ones and had less computing power. It was a mess. I still say Win2000, 7 and 10 were the best evolutionary steps.

I've already searched and I found pretty much no reply regarding adding Linux support so I want to ask the developers directly.

Did you read the link in my post? I guess not.https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the...treams-with-linux-lets-go.82203/#post-552004f Ivan is pretty reliable.

Admittedly, Red, that is about another product, AnyStream. Not AnyDVD.

So far the deafening roar from the developers about creating a *nix (or Mac) version of any RedFox product has been quite absent.

Yes, plans can change, but as of right now none of it gonna happen, no matter how vocal we non-devs get.

Something some people seem to be forgetting is the massive difference between AnyStream and AnyDVD. One is a system driver that (VERY simplified since no one knows the source other than the devs) sneaks underneath Windows to do its magic, the other isn't.

To create a Mac or *nix version would be a HUGE rewrite of the core workings. Easier with Mac since there is only one "flavor," similar to Win. My knowledge of the *nix kernal is definitely lacking, but to create a version for that OS might -- MIGHT -- require differing device drivers for each distribution. *OUCH*

To be honest, this entire discussion is moot since no developer has taken the time to say "boo." I take the lack of talk by a dev one way or the other as tacit notification of no *nix version being planned. Now or in the future.

Pax! I'm done!

Did you read the link in my post? I guess not.https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the...treams-with-linux-lets-go.82203/#post-552004f Ivan is pretty reliable.

As FurryGuy said, that's about AnyStream, not AnyDVD. In any case, if they won't port it, I'd really like to have a dialogue with them about this if at all possible.

My knowledge of the *nix kernal is definitely lacking, but to create a version for that OS might -- MIGHT -- require differing device drivers for each distribution. *OUCH*

Actually...

Linus Torvalds said:
WE DO NOT BREAK USERSPACE!

Legend has it that if you're a Linux kernel dev and try to break userspace, Linus will summon Cthulhu. This is a lesson Microsoft could actually learn these days, but I digress. There are many different distros, yes, but they all use the same kernel more or less, and some distros use LTS releases of the kernel to make sure compatibility between programs is absolutely maintained for a set period of time.

Also, RedFox currently has to play cat-and-mouse with Microsoft I imagine since the kernel code is proprietary and obfuscated, and on top of that, Microsoft has to bend the knee to any media company that doesn't think Windows is enforcing DRM enough. And on top of THAT, Windows is constantly getting updated and stuff switched out all the time.

Now how much easier would it be for RedFox to build AnyDVD for an OS kernel that is not only fully open but heavily supported? Even with that though, I imagine it's still probably not gonna be a super easy task, but again, I fully believe it's worth it.

Last edited:
Back