• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any hope for HD DVD

Thats pretty lame, so people who bought a Blu-ray player 6 months ago with no idea about the different revisions shouldn't expect to be able to use Blu-ray discs that come out this year. Are you sure you're not a member of the BDA?

Thats pretty lame, so people who bought a Blu-ray player 6 months ago with no idea about the different revisions shouldn't expect to be able to use Blu-ray discs that come out this year. Are you sure you're not a member of the BDA?

I'm not a member of BDA, but wouldn't mind being because I heard they pay a tidy sum.

People who bought a PS3, which I'm sure you'd agree is the best selling Bluray player are covered because they can get updates over the Internet. Those buying standalone players shouldn't worry too much either because updates may become distributed with discs or people may be able to update via RS232. One of the outcomes of CES is that newer titles will be labelled accordingly to show which is the minimum revision people need. I think that's a good idea at education the consumer.

But not of much use if your player can't be updated to play those discs. Not all players can be updated to the new revision, in fact most of the players that came out earlier last year can't be updated to 1.1 let alone revision 2

But not of much use if your player can't be updated to play those discs. Not all players can be updated to the new revision, in fact most of the players that came out earlier last year can't be updated to 1.1 let alone revision 2

Well surely that's a weakness of those who make the players, not those who are in charge of looking after the revision of BluRay. Sony is making it able in their PS3 so why can't the other manufacturers? And if I remember PS3 didn't come out last year...

Sony also did it with their standalone players. Their earlier models are not updateable to the new formats. The only reason the PS3 is updateable is because it has the processing power to be able to cope with the newer formats. For earlier machines to have the power to cope with the newer revisions they'd have had to bump the price up even higher. So instead of coming out with a finished format that worked on all machines (like you get on HD DVD) they released an unfinished format with machines that can only play the early formats and don't have the power or ability to play newer revisions.
Also I didn't say all players I said most players

Last edited:
Not that I want to because I find this discussion mostly amusing if anything, but, I have to jump in here and correct something that annoys the living hell out of me every time I see someone say it. Whether it's your intention or not, adbear, your words are "suggesting" that new discs that are profile 1.1 or profile 2.0 aren't compatible with 1.0 players. That is simply NOT true and I wish people would stop spreading that misinformation. (I'm not directing that at you, just in general I see this posted all over the place and it drives me nuts). You need to understand what profile 1.1 and profile 2.0 actually bring to the table to understand why that's not an accurate statement. Profile 1.1 adds picture in picture abilities and requires a separate decoder to handle the PiP. This will obviously be used for special features, but, will in NO way affect the main movie. So a 1.0 player will be able to play a 1.1 disc with everything working except the PiP special features. Profile 2.0 adds network capabilities to the player to allow for firmware updates to be automagically downloaded and for network content such as games and other downloads. Again, special features. If you have a profile 1.0 or 1.1 player and you buy a 2.0 disc, you're going to miss the network features on 1.1 players and the network and PiP features on 1.0 players. However, the main movie playback and "normal" special features will not be affected. So while the standard isn't complete, and I do consider that a hinderence to adoption of the format, it irks me that people want to believe that it means you can't play the newer discs. Again, I am NOT accusing you of saying that! I just want you to be careful how you word things because, while I don't believe it was your intention to suggest that, if someone who doesn't know reads your statement they could be led to believe that profile 1.0 players won't play the new discs. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
But some people are reporting that the new 1.1 profile discs they have won't play on their 1.0 players already. Hopefully that can be fixed with a firmware update, but as of yet they don't have one so they can't play their new film yet

I haven't seen those reports. Can you provide me with a link to some of them? I used PowerDVD 3319a, which is definitely 1.0 only, to play War with no problems. However I have seen PowerDVD issues with Resident Evil Extinction according to a thread here on the forum. Obviously I was not able to play the 1.1 special features with 3319a but when I went back to 3516 I was able to play them. Now I realize this isn't a stand alone player which is why I'd like to see a link on any issues you've seen. I've yet to hear of any stand alone players refusing to play the main movie. If that's the case, then yes, I'll agree, the Blu-ray camp really screwed the pooch here. I don't get my PS3 back until next week so I can't check War on that, but, I'm assuming since it's 1.1 I'm not going to have any problems. As much as I'd like to get the RE trilogy I just can't afford it right now. As soon as I get back from vacation I'll grab it in a few weeks.

I have the RE Trilogy, But have left my PC Blu player at work, I do know that RE Apocalypse should be fine as it has the same unit code as the original single release so the disc is exactly the same, will have to try the other 2 on Monday

People are saying playback is jerky on RE Extinction. I think Tuesday will be an interesting day, however. I want to know if arcsoft's new toy works better than PowerDVD and whether it has 1.1 support built in from the get go. I'm going to hold off on buying it until we get some reports in the forum.

Nonetheless, everything I've read says that profile 1.1 discs should not pose a problem for 1.0 players for everything except obviously the 1.1 features. If there is a problem, the Blu-ray guys really screwed up.

Nonetheless, everything I've read says that profile 1.1 discs should not pose a problem for 1.0 players for everything except obviously the 1.1 features.
Emphasis on "should". Remember the problems when they introduced Java titles or BD+?

Emphasis on "should". Remember the problems when they introduced Java titles or BD+?

sigh....yes, it's unfortunately true. I just hadn't heard of any stand alone players having issues with profile 1.1 discs. I would think this would be big news if it was a widespread problem. This is what happens when they rush out an unfinished spec to the public. If this is widespread this could really cause problems for HD adoption in general. People are just going to get sick of the headache that has become HD and just say forget it...

sigh....yes, it's unfortunately true. I just hadn't heard of any stand alone players having issues with profile 1.1 discs. I would think this would be big news if it was a widespread problem. This is what happens when they rush out an unfinished spec to the public. If this is widespread this could really cause problems for HD adoption in general. People are just going to get sick of the headache that has become HD and just say forget it...
There aren't much Profile 1.1 discs available, are there? Anyway, problems can usually fixed with a firmware update for the player.

There aren't much Profile 1.1 discs available, are there? Anyway, problems can usually fixed with a firmware update for the player.

There's starting to be. I know of at least two offhand. I think there's more. I have War which is profile 1.1. I want Resident Evil trilogy which Extinction is 1.1. I'm sure there's going to be quite a few more over the next few weeks and months.

Those buying standalone players shouldn't worry too much either because updates may become distributed with discs or people may be able to update via RS232. One of the outcomes of CES is that newer titles will be labelled accordingly to show which is the minimum revision people need. I think that's a good idea at education the consumer.
Yeah? So howcome two years after DVD was released, I heard fellow Aussies call into the local radio stations to ask why we're "Region 5"? (that's NOT a typo).

You cannot update a stand alone player from 1.0 to 1.1 or from 1.1 to 2.0 because 1.1 requires a 2nd audio decoder and a 2nd video decoder - and 1.0 players don't have that. Nor can you convert a 1.1 to 2.0 because it requires internet connectivity and 1.0/1.1 do not have that.
Well surely that's a weakness of those who make the players
No - they made their players according to current specifications
Sony is making it able in their PS3 so why can't the other manufacturers?
Well let's see... 1. the PS3 was released below-cost - normally you don't release your Bluray player to loose money.
And if I remember PS3 didn't come out last year...
It did in Australia.

Yeah? So howcome two years after DVD was released, I heard fellow Aussies call into the local radio stations to ask why we're "Region 5"? (that's NOT a typo).

So what region would you like to be? I'm not sure what you mean...

You cannot update a stand alone player from 1.0 to 1.1 or from 1.1 to 2.0 because 1.1 requires a 2nd audio decoder and a 2nd video decoder - and 1.0 players don't have that. Nor can you convert a 1.1 to 2.0 because it requires internet connectivity and 1.0/1.1 do not have that.

1.1 and 2.0 add extra features which are always optional. You can still watch the movie on the disc, can't you?

No - they made their players according to current specifications

Still don't see a problem there. If 1.0 players match 1.0 specification then all is good.

Well let's see... 1. the PS3 was released below-cost - normally you don't release your Bluray player to loose money.

I'm sure people who bought PS3s won't complain about that. Given a choice I'd rather pay less than more...

It did in Australia.

I didn't say anything about Australia. I meant in general, so my statement was correct.

ivanx said:
I didn't say anything about Australia. I meant in general, so my statement was correct.
Actually it wasn't, The PS3 came out in the US and Japan the year before last, but in Europe and the rest of the world it came out last year

Actually it wasn't, The PS3 came out in the US and Japan the year before last, but in Europe and the rest of the world it came out last year

I said that PS3 did not come out last year, which is correct. It came out the year before last aka 2006. I didn't mean any geographical region, I was merely pointing out the fact that it was available to buy in the shops no matter if it was just in Japan and the US. It doesn't change the fact that PS3 came out the year before last. Apology accepted :mad:

I make no apologies over anything I've said in this thread, so don't expect 1 over this, the European PS3 was different to the original US PS3 and contained different hardware inside so therefore it wasn't the same as the original US model and therefore came out last year.
I'm not going to bother to answer anymore as it's become obvious you have a very narrow view and if someone's view doesn't fit with yours then it doesn't seem to count

Last edited:
I make no apologies over anything I've said in this thread, so don't expect 1 over this, the European PS3 was different to the original US PS3 and contained different hardware inside so therefore it wasn't the same as the original US model and therefore came out last year

Does it mean it's not a PS3? No, it doesn't. It is still P-L-A-Y-S-T-A-T-I-O-N 3. You are splitting hairs and are in denial that you are wrong. Get over it.

Back