• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Another hard drive crashed

ChuckH

A second external hard drive of mine crashed in as many weeks, causing me to lose a lot of the shows I ripped and/or downloaded.

How much does the computer access external hard drives when idle? I know that with USB flash drives, you are supposed to select "eject" since the computer might still be accessing the drive shortly after you finish reading or writing to the drive, but there is no "eject" option for an external USB hard drive. It is getting frustrating, especially since I don't have internet access where I watch most of the shows, the primary reason why I use these programs.

You should get the drive out of the enclosure, attach to SATA directly and use the drive manufacturer's low level tools to check it. Maybe you can rescue some data. PC Inspector FileRecovery and Wondershare Recoverit are good tools if attached so.

but there is no "eject" option for an external USB hard drive.
I have two drives in a Sabrent USB drive docking station. They are external USB hard drives, are "drive lettered", and can be ejected by the "Safely Remove Hardware" option. Why can yours not be?

I have two drives in a Sabrent USB drive docking station. They are external USB hard drives, are "drive lettered", and can be ejected by the "Safely Remove Hardware" option. Why can yours not be?
Sabrent also makes NVMe SSDs, they are the best brand by far.

Guys-he should try to rescue his data. Before getting whatever he gets next.
1) If it is that important, it should have been backed up. Trying to "rescue" the data, after the fact, is a bit late.
2) I have never seen a USB drive that could not be ejected. Removing or turning off a USB connected drive without ejecting it first, is asking for a failure.

1) If it is that important, it should have been backed up. Trying to "rescue" the data, after the fact, is a bit late.
2) I have never seen a USB drive that could not be ejected. Removing or turning off a USB connected drive without ejecting it first, is asking for a failure.
You are absolutely right about making backups. However with the drive out of the enclosure and connected to SATA he might be able to rescue the data if there is no head crash or other failure that prevents to read at least most of his data. I was able to do so in most cases my hard drives failed.

This is what I use, I have 4 of them now.

WD Gold 8TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD8004FRYZ

Back