and the winner of the format war is....

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by bingobill, Sep 6, 2007.

1. bingobill

bingobill Well-Known Member

.... HD VMD

http://www.nmeinc.com/index.aspx#

Could this young upstart really steal the show from under the noses of HD DVD and Blu-ray ?

I think they possibly could, they seem to be ready to go now with cheap players and an impressive line up of titles. What do you guys think ?

Looks like there is also gonna be a PC solution

[​IMG]

Hostage
    We Were Soldiers
    Apocalypto
    Lucky Number Slevin
    Valiant
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Lord of War
    Lucky Number Slevin
    Fireplace & Aquarium
    The Ark
    Help I'm A Fish
    El Cid
    Mid Summer Dream
    Passion of The Christ
    Angeles Ashes
    Babel
    16 Blocks
    Set up
    Hoodwinked
    Oliver Twist
    Princesse
    La Planete Blanche
    Pulp Fiction
    Sahara
    Demande A La Poussiere
    Gosford Park
    The Descent
    Miss Potter
    The Queen
    Butterfly Effect 1
    Butterfly effect 2
    Hitcher
    Black Sheep
    Lord of the Rings
    Diario De Um Novo Mundo
    Inside Out
    Avion
    Welcome to LazyTown
    Dr. Rottenstein
    Hero for a Day
    Defeeted
    Rottenbeard
    Cry Dinosaur
    Secret Agent Zero
    Sleepless in LazyTown
    Happy Brush Day
    Pixelspix
    LazyTown’s New Super Hero
    Sports Day
    Crystal Caper
    Lazy Scouts
    My Treehouse
    Swiped Sweets
    Sportafake
    The Laziest Town
    Soccer Sucker
    Dear Diary
    Miss Roberta
    Sports Candy Festival
    Remote Control
    Sportacus Who?
    Zap it
    Records Day
    Ziggy’s Alien
    Play Day
    Prince Stingy
    Robbie’s Greatest Misses
    Dancing Duel
    LazyTown’s Greatest Hits
    Sportacus on the Move!
    LazyTown’s Surprise Santa
    Sailor et lula
    Scorpion
    Le caïman
    Spy kids
    Scarie movie 2
    Les chansons d'amour

Bollywood titles:

Khakar Khakar
    Alaipayuthey
    Pammal K Sambantham
    Panchathanthiram
    Ghilli
    Boys
    Kandukondain Kandukondain
    Water
    Bheja Fry
    Bridge to Tarabitha
    Hanuman
    Malamal Weekly
    Constant Gardner
    Jo Jeeta Wohli Sikander
    Page 3
    Parzania
    Iqbal
    China Town
    Sholay
    Andaz Apana Apna
    Hum Aapke Hai Kaun
    Padosan
    Maine Pyaar Kiya
    Kashmir Ki Kali
    Pyaasa
    Sapoot
    International only
    Khanna & Iyer
    Inquilab
    Namak Haram
    Dil Ek Mandir

2. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Think the main stumbling block will be the audio, a lot of people are buying HD-DVD and Blu-ray for the Hi-def audio and this format doesn't appear to do it. Also if it's only got the capacity of a triple layer dvd that would give it around 12GB which would mean the films must be highly compressed as I don't think I own an HD-dvd or Blu-ray film where the main film file is that small even after removing the audio channels

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  3. bingobill

Think you need to read the quote above more carefully :) and also read the website

4. tekmobile

tekmobile Well-Known Member

The thing is HD DVD will reached the $200 price tag with the release of the new players coming in the coming months HD-VMD will launch with a price tag only slightly lower than this I feel that this would be a step back in the HD world and for many wont be a viable option.

HD DVD may not win the war although I predict that with the advent of the newer cheaper players that they will start to steal the limelight from blu-ray over the course of 2008 and by 2010 blu-ray will be the digital betamax.

5. bingobill

What we must remember is that although VHS was technically inferior to the other 2 competing systems, Betamax and Video2000, it was ultimately VHS that won that particular format war.

This system looks like the type of system that if taken onboard by the big supermarket chains could decide the whole outcome.

I really don't know what impact it will have but I think it does add a new dimension to the HD disc in a market which at this current time is tiny.

6. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

I think this is more of a joke than any myself as there was a small boom on this format then it was dead and many months later back to the boom again about it. By Christmas HD-DVD will be the top dog I think this year.

7. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

I did read the website, and ok I missed the capacity( I was going by the calculation of it using 3 layers not 5 to achieve this) and I have to say I wouldn't be happy using something that has to use that many layers to get the same amount of space as 1 layer on a blu-ray, and it appears to still only do a maximum of 5.1 audio

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  8. GreenJelly

GreenJelly Active Member

The standard is going to be players that play both standards:(

Eventually these companies are going to have to drop their royalties for the players to encourage low price components so that they may collect more royalties from the movies you buy.

Its going to be like the printer industry. Buy a cheap printer for $50 and then pay $45 for a new ink cartridge.

We have a anti trust lawsuit over the cost of DVD's which resulted in a $10 decrease in price across the board. Now we have HD/BR DVD's that are costing $2X just like when we had DVD's before this lawsuit.