• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AMD or INTEL? That is the question.

AMD V's Intel

I agree with Slyfox 1, AMD are better for gaming, Intel for different applications?? I have built my last 2 computers and did a huge amount of research on processors. Don't forget the motherboard, choose a board so you can upgrade your processor down the track when they come down in price. I have a AMD 3.2gHz CPU and can upgrade to a 4.0 to 4.6gHz CPU later. AMD was better in size and price at the time.
It's your call. I prefer AMD.

AMD & The X2

I have an AMD X2 4400 2x1meg cache that totally kicks butt! It encodes a movie extremely fast & efficiently too. Love it. I am getting ready to install a X2 3800 in my 2nd machine. Both skt 939. 8)

Amd Rocks Like Anydvd Rocks!

I was wondering what you have or what you might consider better (in your own opinion). I myself have a simple AMD Sempron 3300+. I have not had an Intel chip YET, but am willing to try one to see how it will do. This is meant to spark a little dibate so have fun with it.

I've had Pentinum's for most of my "Computer Life" all the way up to a 3.0MhZ. This last unit I built has a AMD 4400+ 64 2X Core 939 Socket, and I got to say this baby ROCKS! FAST,, did I say FAST? Yup I said FAST! I can run multiple programs, numerous windows open, and GAMES??? YYYYYEEEEHHHHHHAAAAA will cover how I feel about it's gaming processing!
Here's the lowdown hooked up to this AMD::clap:
Asrock Dual-VSTA (PCI-E AND AGP Slots !)
BFG Dual Speed 650 Watt Power supply
2 Gig DDR 3200 400MhZ Ram
7900 GTO PCI-E 16X 512MB Clocked to 680 MHZ EVGA Video Card
250 Gig External HD USB 7200 RPM
250 Gig SATA II 7200 RPM
200 Gig Internal 7200 RPM
160 Gig Internal 7200 RPM
Samsung 18X Dualayer/Lightscribe DVD-RW Burner
NEC 16X Dual Layer DVD-RW Burner
XP HOME
22" Widescreen Samsung LCD
Microsofts NV-3000 Life Cam
2 Printers, 1 is a Laser
Label Writer
And MORE,,,,
This processor handels it all without any problems at all, for my FIRST AMD I got to tell you I am VERY Impressed! Anybody need a 3.0 Pent. 4 On a ASUS P4S800 Motherboard?:agree:

Amd 64 X2 4400+

8) This is the specs on my AMD 64 X2 4400+
Processor Details
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Details
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
Model 4400+
Ordering P/N (Tray) ADV4400DAA6CD
Ordering P/N (PIB) ADA4400CDBOX
Operating Mode 32/64
Stepping E6
Frequency 2200Mhz
HT Speed 2000
Voltage 1.30V1.35V
Max Temp 49-71°C
Thermal Power 89W
L1 Cache 128KB x2
L2 Cache 1MB x2
CMOS Technology 90nm SOI
Socket Socket 939

This Baby is FAST, like Buddy said. Basically, you have 2, 2.2 GHz. proccessors on 1 die, each w/1 meg cache & on chip direct memory access! "Hyper Transport" is more like "Warp Speed"! Mine runs at 29-30 degrees centigrade with stock heatsink & fan. It never even breaks a sweat no matter what I throw at it.:agree:

Rockin Amd Like Anydvd!

8) This is the specs on my AMD 64 X2 4400+
Processor Details
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Details
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
Model 4400+
Ordering P/N (Tray) ADV4400DAA6CD
Ordering P/N (PIB) ADA4400CDBOX
Operating Mode 32/64
Stepping E6
Frequency 2200Mhz
HT Speed 2000
Voltage 1.30V1.35V
Max Temp 49-71°C
Thermal Power 89W
L1 Cache 128KB x2
L2 Cache 1MB x2
CMOS Technology 90nm SOI
Socket Socket 939

This Baby is FAST, like Buddy said. Basically, you have 2, 2.2 GHz. proccessors on 1 die, each w/1 meg cache & on chip direct memory access! "Hyper Transport" is more like "Warp Speed"! Mine runs at 29-30 degrees centigrade with stock heatsink & fan. It never even breaks a sweat no matter what I throw at it.:agree:
Thanks for the addtional spec's Bunnyrip, I didn't take the time to go through them all, and yes, mine also runs very cool, with just a slight increase in games, with all games options MAXED Out, The Video Card with this AMD are a perfect match for WHATEVER I do! Have a Great Day. ANYDVD ROCKS!:bowdown: :bowdown:

I might be in a minority here... but I always build my own machines using.
Intel CPU's
ASUS motherboards - with Intel Chipsets.
Kingston or Corsair memory
Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA this round)
Sony Optical Drives (in part to turn thier own stuff against them)
Creative Labs audio cards (Sound Blaster)
Nvidia video cards

I'm on the 3rd generation builds now... and I've always done well with that combo.
-W

I might be in a minority here... but I always build my own machines using.
Intel CPU's
ASUS motherboards - with Intel Chipsets.
Kingston or Corsair memory
Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA this round)
Sony Optical Drives (in part to turn thier own stuff against them)
Creative Labs audio cards (Sound Blaster)
Nvidia video cards

I'm on the 3rd generation builds now... and I've always done well with that combo.
-W

I agree using this components but I prefer OCZ memory.

Both companies produce a good product. I use, for myself and for my customers. nothing but Intel CPU's w/Intel MOBO's.
If you want to get the most from a PC, go with the Core Duo Intel.
I am currently using a 3.2 P4(Northwood).....3.0 P4 630(Prescott) and a E6600Intel Core 2 Duo(Conroe)
If you want a smoker on a budget($100), try the Pentium D 805 2.66GHz Dual Core. They will OC to well over 3G without popping a sweat. I've built 2 of these lately and the customers couldn't be happier.
I would advise waiting until April...........Intel prices will be dropping severely after the 1st.

Last edited:
I agree using this components but I prefer OCZ memory.

OCZ has had some compatibility issues lately, especially with the Dual Core CPU's. Corsair has the best bang for the buck.

OCZ has had some compatibility issues lately, especially with the Dual Core CPU's. Corsair has the best bang for the buck.

I never had compatibility issues with OCZ memory.

I just built a new Core 2 Duo set up not long ago and used OCZ Platinum memory with no problems, they now have a revision 2 Platinum memory out that is supposed to address some compatibility issues, they said that they had a bad batch of memory that got shipped out.

I didn't say that anyone in particular has problems with OCZ. I said that OCZ has had compatibility issues lately. In particular with ASUS MOBO's and Intel D/C CPU's. OCZ, in the past, has made a very stable product. The issues don't appear with every PC configuration. It is, as always, a good idea to check with the MOBO's manufacturer's site to check for RAM compatibility issues.

I didn't say that anyone in particular has problems with OCZ. I said that OCZ has had compatibility issues lately. In particular with ASUS MOBO's and Intel D/C CPU's. OCZ, in the past, has made a very stable product. The issues don't appear with every PC configuration. It is, as always, a good idea to check with the MOBO's manufacturer's site to check for RAM compatibility issues.

OCZ has also had some compatibility issues with GigaByte motherboards. But like you said its a good idea to check with the mobo`s manufacturer website to check their compatibility lists for ram. I bought my OCZ memory on sale localy at Fry`s Electronics and they are really good about returns so if I had a problem I could easily take it back for a refund or store credit.

AMD seems to have had the advantage for the last few years, but Intel appears to be making a comeback with their newest lines. If I were building a system today, I'd likely go with the Core2 Quad. However, as it stands, I'll be waiting for the Core2 Extreme Quad-Core to come down in price a bit, then I'll be building a new system.

A person mainly using his PC for various multi-tasking and transcodeing or encodeing only & for future HD content which is better?

A person mainly using his PC for various multi-tasking and transcodeing or encodeing only & for future HD content which is better?
This is a very hard question to answer now Charlie, since Intel has released new processors and AMD is not the most powerful anymore. I still beleive that if you are a "gamer" AMD processors are better, but for muti-tasking and encoding I think Intels new Line of Conroe CPUs might have an edge, even though I have never tried them, I am just saying what I have heard. ;)

That's the way I'm leaning too, thinking on getting the E6600.

The only advantage to the 6600 over the 6400 is the L2Cache (4MB and 2MB respectively) and a very small difference in CPU speed.
After the first of April, the E6300/6400 is going to be replaced with the E6320/6420 - double the cache and at a reduced cost.
The price reduction will be across the board - all Core 2 processors - but the Extremes will still be quite costly.

Heh.. my latest machine build was with a P4-3.2G Prescott and ASUS P4P 800-E with 2 gigs of Corsair RAM. Running it OC at 3.5g and cooling adequate.

The thing gets rip/burn/transcode rates as fast as the storage device speeds. Windows XP sees that CPU as duel-core, even though it's not tauted as such by Intel. The machine cost about $500 to build with "last years best" and performs as well as a lot of the generic builds sold at best Buy today.

Making use of duel hard drives and duel optical drives is critical to keep the bit-flow moving at max rates (as well as not beating up a single-drive during transcoding proces.

-W

Heh.. my latest machine build was with a P4-3.2G Prescott and ASUS P4P 800-E with 2 gigs of Corsair RAM. Windows XP sees that CPU as duel-core, even though it's not tauted as such by Intel.

XP is not seeing it as Dual-Core. Device manager will show two identical CPU's because of the Dual Ram and Hyper Threading.

Last edited:
Back