• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Am I Missing Out?

Heinous

I just recently got into hoarding movies (mainly UHD) and right now my process once getting a new movie is to rip it to MKV (I use two tools 1 specifically for movies with Dolby Vision and the other for anything that doesn't have DV), push it to my NAS, and then stream it through plex on my nvidia shield.

After reading about AnyDvd I don't think there is anything I'm missing out on given my current processt, but for those of you who are more experienced I'd appreciate any feedback if I'm wrong.

Thanks

I use two tools 1 specifically for movies with Dolby Vision and the other for anything that doesn't have DV
I don't think you do anything wrong, especially since you already divide between DV and non-DV movies (I haven't looked at this at all till now as I always rip to iso and haven't converted any of them yet).

So for my part, if everything is working for you and you achieve your goals, then you are fine.

I just recently got into hoarding movies (mainly UHD) and right now my process once getting a new movie is to rip it to MKV (I use two tools 1 specifically for movies with Dolby Vision and the other for anything that doesn't have DV), push it to my NAS, and then stream it through plex on my nvidia shield.

After reading about AnyDvd I don't think there is anything I'm missing out on given my current processt, but for those of you who are more experienced I'd appreciate any feedback if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Honestly, there is no wrong way. Everyone one has their own process and does things a little different.

I do something similar to you. I actually will use AnyDVD to rip to image. Then I will use CloneBD to make a lossless copy of just the main movie. Then I slap that on my NAS for Plex to serve to my Roku's.

Honestly, there is no wrong way. Everyone one has their own process and does things a little different.

I do something similar to you. I actually will use AnyDVD to rip to image. Then I will use CloneBD to make a lossless copy of just the main movie. Then I slap that on my NAS for Plex to serve to my Roku's.

Do you rip to an image to keep that as a backup along with the MKV? From what I understand ripping from the disk is already lossless. I considered what you described as being another option but switching from what I am currently doing to using an image I think only makes sense for me if I wanted to also backup the image.

I appreciate both of your responses, thanks.

From what I understand ripping from the disk is already lossless. I considered what you described as being another option but switching from what I am currently doing to using an image I think only makes sense for me if I wanted to also backup the image.
That is right, AnyDVD does nothing to the quality or anything. It just removes the copy protection and stuff. The rip itself is lossless and complete.
I always rip to iso as this is the best way to handle the files for me. I don't need .mp4s or .mkvs as I almost never need the files on anything else than my PC, and there I have AnyDVD, VLC and so on to play or convert further.
And from the .iso I can convert anything I want. When I already stripped everything but the main movie, I am stuck when I want to get the movie with the second language or subs that was on the disc as well. Or when I made something wrong while converting. That way I can just delete it and create a new file from the iso, since it is untouched.

Do you rip to an image to keep that as a backup along with the MKV? From what I understand ripping from the disk is already lossless. I considered what you described as being another option but switching from what I am currently doing to using an image I think only makes sense for me if I wanted to also backup the image.

I appreciate both of your responses, thanks.

I do not keep the image, just the converted title. I do it that way because using CloneBD to pull the title off the disc directly seems to be problematic sometimes and slower. Not sure if it's a CloneBD thing or a deal with my drive or the combo of the 2 but ripping to image seems far more bulletproof. So I just 2 step it and things 99 times out of 100 go very smooth. That 2 step process also seems to work much better with discs that are tough to read.

because using CloneBD to pull the title off the disc directly seems to be problematic sometimes and slower
That's just because the disc is slower and it has to move around to analyse everything. So when you use the image itself, it can access everything faster, expecially when stored on a SSD.

That's just because the disc is slower and it has to move around to analyse everything. So when you use the image itself, it can access everything faster, expecially when stored on a SSD.

Yes I get that. But the disc to drive process is specifically faster when I do it that way and there is more chance of failure if I try to do it directly.

I always rip to protected ISO with AnyDVD on every new disc for a few reasons. I do NOT keep the ISO long. For most new discs AnyDVD does not have day 1 support for the title. Usually, I end up keeping my ISO until AnyDVD supports it. Most of the time I use a different product to rip my protected ISO to unprotected folder backup then use CloneBD to create an MKV (non-DV) or the other product to just make an MKV if it's DV. If CloneBD ever adds proper MKV DV support then I can simply stick with it as my process. Until then, my process is split between products. For UHD there's definitely a lot of variables and no right or wrong way to attack it.

For me the end goal is an MKV that I can play everywhere. If it has DV, the SHIELD will play it with that. Otherwise I use my HTPC with JRiver MC and madvr for HDR playback. I've got an 8 bay NAS with 6 bays used with 12tb drives at the moment. I'll finish adding drives at some point.

Back