• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Alien Anthology (UK)

RBBrittain

Alien Anthology (UK) (RESOLVED)

None of the four movie BDs from the UK version of the Alien Anthology set (region-free) will play on any of my software players with AnyDVD HD active. They will all play thru my HDMI connection if AnyDVD HD is disabled (i.e., grey fox); but if AnyDVD HD is enabled & on default settings, playback fails as follows:
  • TMT3: Once it goes full-screen, the program keeps going back & forth between my BD drive (short bursts) and the hard drive; it never tries to start.
  • TMT5: After going full-screen, it refuses to read the BD drive at all; nothing but HDD activity.
  • Nero Kwik Media (formerly MediaHub, part of Nero 10 HD): Before testing with AnyDVD HD disabled, it will read the BD drive for a few seconds, then nothing but HDD activity. After successful playback with AnyDVD HD disabled, attempted playback with it enabled produces a Fox "your player requires an update" screen and stops there.
Though these discs have BD+, they don't return a BD+ error message so I'm not using the BD+ sticky thread. The status windows all show BD+ and BD-Live disabled, BD-Java signatures fixed, and Java BD+ runtime removed. I suspect the issue involves BD+, BD-Live and/or BD-Java, especially since these are from the new, just-released amaray-style packaging for the UK (as opposed to the original UK digipak and the US digibook).

Log files for all four movie BDs attached. (The two bonus-features discs play just fine; their status windows make no mention of BD+, BD-Live or BD-Java.)

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.8.0.2_Info_E_ALIEN_WW.zip
    349.9 KB · Views: 4
  • AnyDVD_6.8.0.2_Info_E_ALIENS_WW.zip
    349.2 KB · Views: 1
  • AnyDVD_6.8.0.2_Info_E_ALIEN3_WW.zip
    345.6 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_6.8.0.2_Info_E_ALIEN_RESURRECTION_WW.zip
    313.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
as it couldn't detect the region code what did you set it to when asked?

Maybe, but doubtful; they're region-free. See below. (Edit: The new beta still isn't available, either from the stickies or thru Bumblebee; I'll redo the logs as soon as I get it.)

as it couldn't detect the region code what did you set it to when asked?
The packaging says it's region-free (i.e., all three region codes), so I set it to region-free. Also, all three software players are set to Region A; they worked fine on all four discs with AnyDVD HD disabled. (Nero's playback stuttered, but that's a known Nero problem; I only use it for testing to rule out TMT as a cause.)

Last edited:
Just making sure. That's always the first thing you should do, but, people rarely do. Yea then I'm not really sure what's going on there. The US release is also region free and works just fine.

Just making sure. That's always the first thing you should do, but, people rarely do. Yea then I'm not really sure what's going on there. The US release is also region free and works just fine.
Yeah, I searched and found reports of no problems too.

From the behavior my first instinct was a possible BD-Live/BD-Java issue, but I doubted those were different between US & UK versions. However, remembering the problems cracking the initial version of Avatar--and noticing all four disc IDs ending with "WW", just like many Avatar versions that had different BD+ encryptions (i.e., US & UK versions both ended with "WW" but were encrypted differently)--I wonder if it may be a BD+ issue, especially since this is a new pressing of the UK version.

Back