• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AI and governmental regulation

ChuckH

I just read a news article that talked about how several members of the US Congress were talking about how they feel that they need to start committees to regulate AI, since ChatGPT and similar AI programs are becoming extremely popular. They stated that they want to get a jump start on regulation, since social media exploded faster than they could regulate, even though social media was around for years before there started being issues. They did not state what specifically they felt needed to be regulated.

For non-Americans, the biggest issue with social media and governmental regulation comes from the First Amendment of the US Constitution. It bans the government from interfering in the free speech of our citizens. But the government also has a duty to protect the citizens from harm. Since terrorists had used social media to coordinate their attacks, some people felt the government needed to do more. But the government overreacted and started to declare anyone who disagreed with certain political positions terrorists, and the government started to ask social media companies to start banning anyone who disagreed with the members of government, something that is unconstitutional in the USA.

Social media and AI, especial the AI that is available today, are completely different things. So my questions for you are, how do you think they want to regulate AI and do you think it needs to be regulated?

But the government also has a duty to protect the citizens from harm

This is incorrect. The US federal goverment has been tasked with very specific responsibilities as it relates to things like borders and national defense. They use unconstitutional reasons such as that to do the very censorship you spoke of.

While there should be laws against crimes it is not the job of the federal goverment to regulate everything under the sun. This is exactly how things went wrong in the first place.

Now I am NOT at all trying to be political here just talking pure mechanics. And to answer your question they should not regulate it at all in my opinion.

I probably misworded that. The government has a duty to protect the citizens against attacks. The government is absolutely committing crimes with their acts of censorship against the citizens and most of the members of Congress belong in prison. I also agree that the government should not regulate everything under the sun and in places where they should regulate, it should only be to prevent attacks and to guarantee the freedom of the citizens while preventing unlawful acts, such as discrimination. Like I said, the government should not have abused their power to declare political opponents as terrorists, nor should they have abused their power to silence their critics.

Reactions: DQ
Back