Additional audio options?

Discussion in 'CloneBD' started by MovieFan, Aug 19, 2020.

1. MovieFan

MovieFan Well-Known Member

I have a question about what probably affects a tiny number of people, but I encountered this multiple times very recently. I'm wondering if there is a workaround.

I have a disk (Blade Trinity Uncut) that has as it's primary, HD audio, DTS-HD MA 6.1 Surround. It also has two stereo commentary tracks and depending on which program I use to read it, it also has a compressed 6.1 audio track. It looks like this in CloneBD:

upload_2020-8-19_8-23-45.png

The same disk looks like this in HandBrake:

upload_2020-8-19_8-28-33.png

Here it is in MakeMKV:

upload_2020-8-19_8-34-32.png

In both Handbrake and MakeMKV it list both the DTS-HD MA as well as the DTS-ES version of that track. I like having that option. CloneBD seems to ignore it.

However, the bigger thing I want to know about is whether I can add more tracks (copies of tracks) to transcode, similar to HandBrake. This disc has no 5.1 Surround track meaning it will either be transcoded by Plex when I play it in my living room or I need to add a track manually to get 5.1 audio. Otherwise I have no center channel which is the dialog. it's looking for a rear-center channel speaker that doesn't exist or something like that. In Handbrake, I can simply add a copy of the DTS-HD track and reencode it to AAC 5.1 when I'm ripping the disk.

Obviously, CloneBD is the preferred option, but in cases like this I have no other option but to use HandBrake it seems. Is it possible to do this within CloneBD and I'm just missing it? I don't want to REMOVE the 6.1 track because I can also play this in my theater room that can handle the original DTS-HD. I just want to add an extra track that will get reencoded to 5.1 as well so I can use the same rip in my living room.

I had a similar experience with the Exorcist director's cut recently so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

John-John likes this.
  2. tectpro

tectpro Translator (ms_MY)

CloneBD handles the DTS-HD as intended, the DTS-Es is encapsuled in the DTS-HD by default. There is no seperate DTS stream in this case.

BluRays are mastered this way so players or hometheaters etc that do not support DTS-HD will play the encapsuled DTS stream.

But maybe @Reto can explain this better than me.

whatever_gong82 and MovieFan like this.
  3. MovieFan

That is fine on the DTS-ES.

My bigger concern is the ability to manually add a copy of a track so I can re-encode it to 5.1 as an additional track. I can't find any functionality to do that. Do you know if it's possible?

4. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

not possible.

MovieFan likes this.
  5. Fabian

Fabian Developer

In other words, you want the option to make a copy of a stream.. have the original 7.1 and a second downgrade 5.1 version?

Most players can do this automatically, but if you wish and think it's useful, we can add such an option for MKV/MP4 files.

6. MovieFan

Yes! In my case it was from 6.1, not 7.1, but probably the same functionality would work with either.

This is easily done in HandBrake. I would just prefer to use CloneBD as it's faster!

John-John likes this.
  7. MovieFan

Not being pushy, but curious if this was on the near future horizon. I am going through a bunch of my 3D disks and re-ripping them to MVC so this feature would be quite handy! If it's imminent I'll wait.

Thanks!

John-John likes this.