• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Adding subtitles to MKV files

Lonald

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but here goes.

Recently I purchased two classic German-language Christmas movies, neither of which came with English subtitles. I am decades away from Frau Schultz and my high school German classes...

Both movies are BD and I have .srt files that I can add.

My question is, how do I add the English subtitles in a good, cost-effective way?

Thanks in advance!!!

So the movies are on BD and you have the .srt files on your harddrive?
If you don't own AnyDVD, use MakeMKV to get the MKV.
Then use MKVToolNix to combine them together. However, you have to check if the timing is correct before that. Play the file and add the subs to the player. Then you can see if it is right or they are off, for example when the BDs have trailers and logos the subs source hasn't.

make sure srt files are the same framerate as movie files. load the subtitle in 'subtitle edit' (if the files are x264 no prob, if they are x265 then SE wont play the video file). next, go to synchronization/adjust all times. fiddle if need be to get the sync right. save srt. open mkvtoolnix. drag&drop video file into 'source files' window. drag&drop srt file into tracks, chapters and tags' window. goto multiplexer menu and click 'start multiplexing'. be sure to check output file location (i always use desktop or video file source folder, dont worry multiplexed file will not overwrite the original source video file).

tip: if you hate hearing impaired subtitles, open SE, click tools/batch convert. select 'remove formatting/remove HI/fix common errors/split long lines/merge lines with same text'. under output select 'same as source file' and hit convert. beware, this will overwrite the source srt files.

MKVToolNix worked perfectly. First run was a Japanese movie. I tested the subtitle track in Kodi and it synchronized very well.

I then opened MKVToolNix and added the MKV and the .srt files into the Source Files Window. Clicked Start Multiplexing and in ~2minutes the new file was generated. Checked this again in Kodi, and SUCCESS!

I did pay for MKVToolNix through the Windows Store - need to support developers like this. And it was a nominal fee.

Thank you!

Back