• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Adding a "set DVD region" popup to AnyDVD

BDMinus

I've read some thread where people were having issues with anydvd because the region wasn't set on the dvd drive. Maybe in the next version anydvd can check during install or while running if the region hasn't been set so users will be prompted to set it.

your words in God's ear

I've read some thread where people were having issues with anydvd because the region wasn't set on the dvd drive. Maybe in the next version anydvd can check during install or while running if the region hasn't been set so users will be prompted to set it.

I've been asking for this for months. I was a diagnostic developer in a prior life and if we could detect a possible bad condition we posted it to the user.
I think a soft warning would be very helpful and would save some tickets since developers will not look at a log if the region is "0".

Just a simple warning/tip with the light bulb:

"Your DVD drive region needs to be set to match your country in order for AnyDVD to effectively handle protections. See Windows "Help" and set the region of your DVD drive".

Super idea and I am pleased to hear this voice from the wilderness..... :rock:

Not setting the region only causes problems in very rare cases, and in these cases a warning message *does* pop up (which people seem to ignore most of the time).
EDIT:
Like in this post, see the "error.jpg" attachment:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=130777&postcount=1

If the region is not set, AnyDVD handles the disc the same way as if the drive was set to a different region. Should a warning pop up everytime if there is a region code mismatch? I don't think so. This would defeat AnyDVD's purpose as a region code remover, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Looking at that error message, I wonder how many people bother to read all the way to the bottom. some people have probably read the first two lines and thought 'thats not it' and click OK and never realize it was a region problem.

EDit: BTW the link up there is HTTPS:// which gave me an error, invalid security certificate or something. I took the S off and it worked fine

Region Code Discussion

Could I suggest something... That when updates are given it might be nice to remind people to check the region settings. That might keep people (like me) from posting about this issue.

I wish when the program ran if it detected that the region wasn't set that it threw up a huge pop-up telling you to set the region, personally. Maybe James would be so kind to add something like that. :p

That said, refer here (http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321) which is one of the important forum stickies and scroll down to General Advice and look at point C. It says to set the drive region. :)

Unfortunately, as much as Webslinger and I post about setting the drive region many people either don't know any better and many others decide they wish to argue with us when we tell them to set it. Many people just ignore the little things like setting drive region, etc.

I wish when the program ran if it detected that the region wasn't set that it threw up a huge pop-up telling you to set the region, personally. Maybe James would be so kind to add something like that. :p

TOTALLY agreed. When I think of the sheer percent of trouble calls placed here that come back to "region not set" I think it's a very worthy addition.
I'd go as far as making AnyDVD refuse to work until a region is set.

-W (who forgets to set a region EVERY time I buy a new optical drive)

Last edited:
James covered this request in this thread: Adding a "set dvd region" popup to anydvd.

Not setting the region only causes problems in very rare cases, and in these cases a warning message *does* pop up (which people seem to ignore most of the time).
EDIT:
Like in this post, see the "error.jpg" attachment:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...77&postcount=1

If the region is not set, AnyDVD handles the disc the same way as if the drive was set to a different region. Should a warning pop up everytime if there is a region code mismatch? I don't think so. This would defeat AnyDVD's purpose as a region code remover, wouldn't it?

just for the record

After seeing another one of these "fixes" elsewhere in the forum today with finally setting the region of the hardware to "country of install", I am moved to clarify my support for the request from the field for the pop-up and my own request in this thread.

Somewhere in between "we don't need this" and "mismatch" is "Reason".
Reason says the clear intervention required situation is "0", not a mismatch between the DVD in the drive and the region of the DVD. Of course this is AnyDVD's claim to fame and that is not my point. My point supports users and it comes down to this:

Regardless of what regional setting the DVD drive has, if it is "0" the user should get a specific message, not one of "may be this", "may be that" but a hard, logically-determined and reported "exposure" message:

"The region setting of your DVD is not set to any country."
"A setting of "0" may cause problems in processing DVDs."
"Right mouse AnyDVD and click "Exit".
"Right mouse the DVD drive in My Computer, open "Properties", "Hardware",
select the DVD drive, open "Properties" and on the "DVD Region" tab, set the region of this DVD drive to match your country."

The rest of the face East and light candles stuff can remain the same when it comes to possible errors on the initial scan of the DVD.

Avoiding a ticket is far better than ping-ponging notes and such a preliminary, basic "intervention required" scenario keeps users happy.
And that is something we all want. ;)

James covered this request in this thread: Adding a "set dvd region" popup to anydvd.

James has addressed it and he is correct but he was viewing this from a different angle than I am.

It may be statistically small that this problem occurs but it does happen and it seems to be happening more frequently in the last 6 months or so. I've instructed numerous people to set the drive region and voila. We are talking statistics and taking the sheer number of discs and users into account increases the chance of this problem occurring. I don't ever consider myself likely to be struck by lightning. Did you know the chance that I will is 1 in 5000 in my lifetime? That's actually rather frightening.

James mentions a message every time there is a region mismatch. Btw, I consider a mismatch and a drive not being set to not be the same. I never suggested that there be a message every time. I want a pop-up to appear when AnyDVD begins running. When you boot Windows and AnyDVD loads you get the message and you will see it once until you exit AnyDVD or you reboot. I wouldn't mind a message like, "Whoa, hey, set your DVD region. We really recommend this and don't go to the forums and argue with DrinkLyeAndDie and Webslinger if they tell you to do this after ignoring this message." Yes, statistically problems will occur but have you noticed just how many such problems do occur.

Both myself and Webslinger repeatedly tell people to set the region of their drives. Some people simply forget to do it, some people have never done it and never had a problem, some people don't know any better, and some people are stubbornly adamant about not doing it to the point of arguing and saying it won't make any difference. Frankly, it's beyond annoying.

I'm trying to help someone and this problem has empirical evidence backing it up that setting the drive region can fix a problem and they argue with me. Now, it's one thing for myself and Webslinger to suggest it in the forums but: (1) We aren't Slysoft and (2) not everyone reads the Slysoft forums, and (3) how many support tickets that never show up on the forums but are instead sent directly to Slysoft would this resolve simply because someone set their drive region.

James is the developer, of course, and he makes the decisions and doesn't have to add anything if he doesn't want to. I still think my suggestion has validity.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see your support, Frank. :)

I've merged posts from the thread that caused this discussion to be brought up again with this thread to consolidate things and make it easier to follow/comment without having discussion in two different places.

Last edited:
(2) not everyone reads the Slysoft forums

lol? They don't? Surely you jest. :D

What's a sticky?

What's a FAQ?

What does #14 say in the FAQ?

What does "READ BEFORE YOU POST" mean?

Where am I?

Who's on first?

What's on second

It doesn't work, dude. It doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
lol? They don't? Surely you jest. :D

What's a sticky?

What's a FAQ?

What does #14 say in the FAQ?

What does "READ BEFORE YOU POST" mean?

Most definitely I jest.

We take things for granted.

• Common sense
  • Logic
  • People actually reading the stickies
  • Reading comprehension skills
  • People doing what they are told

Many if not all of the in the list above are lacking in many cases.

Last edited:
Indeed. If people did read then this discussion wouldn't be necessary in the first place.

I'm illiterate. Please rephrase

Actually, if you could dictate to me, that would be easier. These strange organs on my face that detect light and send info via an optic nerve . . . I'm not sure how to use them

I'm not even sure how I managed to type this post.

Last edited:
Region Code

For the record: I have never set the region code on ony drive of mine, I have never had any issues with AnyDVD due to this. I have had maybe 1 or 2 pop ups from AnyDVD saying be sure you set your regin code, I ignore them and the Titles back up just fine. Like James said, AnyDVD makes the disc region free, so what is the reason to set the region code if AnyDVD effectively removes the region coding of the disc? :confused:

For the record: I have never set the region code on ony drive of mine, I have never had any issues with AnyDVD due to this. I have had maybe 1 or 2 pop ups from AnyDVD saying be sure you set your regin code, I ignore them and the Titles back up just fine. Like James said, AnyDVD makes the disc region free, so what is the reason to set the region code if AnyDVD effectively removes the region coding of the disc? :confused:

Ask and ye shall receive...

Let me quote peer again because he so perfectly worded this:

With a region code set on the drive, AnyDVD politely asks the drive to present the keys of the disc. AnyDVD simply says "I'm a player, I need keys".

With no region code set, the drive clings on to the keys and cries out "No! They're mine, mine, mine! Get off me, foreign scum!"

So AnyDVD hast to brute force the keys. Which works most of the time, but not always (statistical reasons).

Just because you haven't had a problem [yet] doesn't make it right to not set your drive region and one of these days you likely will have a problem. There is a difference between a region mismatch and not setting a region at all.

Seriously, what is so hard about people just setting their drive region? I'm truly baffled.

Last edited:
Seriously, what is so hard about people just setting their drive region? I'm truly baffled.

I have no idea. I forget until reminded. But I'd never post here that I refuse to set it on purpose. I own AnyDVD, I can set my region ONCE and with confidence. :D

-W

I don't have a problem with people not setting their drive's region code--until they post a troubleshooting thread. If you're posting a troubleshooting thread that means you're having problems. If you're having problems, don't waste our time by refusing to set your drive's region code. Simple

And there have been cases here in these forums where people's issues went away miraculously after setting their drive's region code. It really depends on the dvd being used (and sometimes the drive itself).

I don't have a problem with people not setting their drive's region code--until they post a troubleshooting thread. If you're posting a troubleshooting thread that means you're having problems. If you're having problems, don't waste our time by refusing to set your drive's region code. Simple

I don't have a problem if people don't set their drive region... as long as they don't have a problem and when they do that their problem doesn't become our problem. I realize some people simply forget. It happens. The people who argue about it and adamantly refuse to set the drive region are the ones who seriously annoy me. They're wrong with their arguments. They're wrong that it has no impact.

And there have been cases here in these forums where people's issues went away miraculously after setting their drive's region code. It really depends on the dvd being used (and sometimes the drive itself).

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay (R1) and Reservation Road (R1) are two such examples.

Last edited:
Back