• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Add on Card Question

Wildrat

Add on Card Question " UPDATED"

Page down to my most recent reply, Thanks!

I need to get a SATA card.
I am using Lite-on SATA drives.
Should I be getting a " PCI Xpress to SATA" or is a " PCI to SATA" fine?
As I said in other post my HDD's are connected to the MoBo SATA ports.

Thank You All !

P.S. If you are wondering why I am asking Hardware questions on this forum, it's because I feel that the answers I receive here will be from mostly experienced users and I need good answers not maybe this or maybe that.
My finger is on the checkout key at some old egg place ready to place another order.

Thanks All!

Last edited:
Thanks OldJoe!
Now to figure out which is a good one to get out of the manufacturers on Old Biscuit.

Looks good to me. It will also give you two ESATA ports.

Thanks Old Joe! Do you have that name Old Joe because you were once military and now your retired and older and now have acquired the name Old Joe? I'm just curious.

No special reason for the name. My name is Joe and I'm 60 yrs. old.....but young at heart. :D

I hear ya man. used to feel young at heart till I let those back butchers get holt of me, 4 x's

PCI or PCIe

If you MOBO has PCIe's or PCI's is the real Q here. If your MOBO has PCIe then get that one or if it is a older MOBO then the PCI is the way to go.

If you MOBO has PCIe's or PCI's is the real Q here. If your MOBO has PCIe then get that one or if it is a older MOBO then the PCI is the way to go.

Wildrat's MOBO (Intel Intel D975XBX2) is not equipped with any PCIEX1 slots.

I ordered both cards: PCIE & PCI.
My D975XBX2 mobo has (3 ea. PCI Express x16 connectors:1 connector electrically is x16 or x8, 1 connector is x8 electrically, and the last one is electrically x4) there is also 2 ea. PCI bus add-in card connectors.
I got the two cards because they were not terribly expensive, and because I will use the PCIE card and then if I get something that needs the PCIE connector then I'll have the PCI card ready to go in, and I can also use the PCI card on another computer that does not have SATA.

I believe ridhst was referring to PCIEX1. Thay are a small PCIE slot. Your MOBO does not come with any.

nope doesn't have one of those, now I'm wondering if that PCIxpress card I ordered was meant for that slot. I'll have to go look. Is that slot a newer tech than the PCIEx16,8,4 ?

Joe it looks like it will go into the front part of the express slots. Will it work that way?
Man, I guess I should have stayed current with this stuff, then I would not have to ask these questions, but at least there are people here that won't make you feel like an idiot.

Joe it looks like it will go into the front part of the express slots. Will it work that way?
Man, I guess I should have stayed current with this stuff, then I would not have to ask these questions, but at least there are people here that won't make you feel like an idiot.

I'm not positive about using it in the front part of that slot. To the best of my knowledge.... PCIEX1 will only work in a PCIEX1 slot. I'm not aware of any cards, other than graphics cards, that are designed to fit into PCIEX8/16 slots.

10-4, I guess I'll do some googling and see what I come up with.
Thanks Joe,

Mark

I went a Googling and ck'd a few places, and it seems that a PCIEX! cards are upward compatible to PCIEX4/8/ and16. Some said there was a difference in distances from the edge of the board, but all seemed to agree it would work. I'll know tomorrow as the cards will be here, maybe I will even have my new SATA drives working finally.

UPS left the cards at the door. I have not tried them yet. My wife is already admiring them, I may have to give one up, hopefully the PCIE card.

The PCIEX1 card slides into the PCIEX16 socket fine. The card works perfectly. The Jumpers on the PNY card are set by default to the internal SATA ports, where I have the two SATA Lite-On burners connected.
AnyDVD picked them up with no problem, so I am ready to burn DVD's.

Thank you for posting that info Wildrat. That's good to know.
I thought it strange that there were no available PCIX1 slots on that MOBO.

Back