• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

About Transcoding

Bluer

I'm confused about something;
I understand that transcoding is inferior to encoding however, if one is backing up a movie without compressing any of it (say there is only 3gb of original file), does it matter? Will not the resultant image be of equal quality with either?

you only lose quality when compressing a dvd9 (dual layer) to dvd5 (single layer).
dvd5-dvd5 or dvd9-dvd9 will result in identical quality.
in clonedvd2,if the size of the target blank dvd is the same as the original dvd,the transcoder is disabled anyway.

encoding a dvd9 to dvd5 will result in a better quality copy than transcoding.

Last edited:
Example:

If you have a source movie only of 7gb. And, you want to put that movie (after copy protection is removed) on to a blank media DVD+R DL (8.5gb)

There would be no transcoding, no compression, no re-encoding, the video quality would be the same as the source disk and the bitrate of the movie would be the same. Just rip disk and burn disk.

Thats the best way to go in standard defination or high defination.

:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I suggest that if you only have DVD-5's to burn to, that you re-author for only the Main Movie and deselect everything but the AC3 5.1 audio stream.

In over 50% of the cases, the above will fit on a DVD-5 with no transcoding needed.
And in all but about 10% of the cases, the other half will need to go down less than 10% which is negligable with a decent transcoder.

-W

I'm confused about something;
I understand that transcoding is inferior to encoding however, if one is backing up a movie without compressing any of it (say there is only 3gb of original file), does it matter? Will not the resultant image be of equal quality with either?

If you are making a backup and no compression is needed then no actual transcoding takes place. No quality loss will occur.

You good fellows have actually answered some questions I forgot to ask :>)

All of this makes me wonder if the eagerly (at least for me) anticipated release of CloneBD will contain a transcoder or an encoder, and why?

All of this makes me wonder if the eagerly (at least for me) anticipated release of CloneBD will contain a transcoder or an encoder, and why?

From what I read is that a transcoder would be faster, but an encoder would offer better quality. Personally, I hope they offer both so each can choose whats most important to them. But if they had to choose only one, I hope they would go with encoder so that we can get the best quality. Especially since as CPUs increase their cores, then the encoder would get faster anyways.

I also hope that they might just use the open source x264 encoder as it seems to offer the best quality in most of the shootouts and is used heavily by alot of HD software tools so it gets tested often and thoroughly. And this way they do not have to ever focus on improving the encoder as this would be handled by the very competent x264 team. And then owners of CloneBD would benefit from every new improvements that the x264 team releases.

But it sounds like SlySoft is maybe creating their own encoder since I saw Fernando, one of the key SlySoft developers, comment how some of that would be offloaded to the GPU and I am pretty sure x264 does not have GPU support. Offloading encoding to the GPU does have some incredible benefits, read here and read this too.

Last edited:
I am a little confused on this transcoding..

Are we using the word properly here? As far as I remember transcoding is converting from one format to another. Recoding or re-Encoding is simply recompressing the data again in the same format.

So if you have a DVD9 and you want to fit it on a DVD5 and CloneDVD needs to compress the data further is it not recoding it? The original is MPEG2 and the final is MPEG2 correct?

CloneDVDMobile would transcode the DVD9 MPEG2 to say H264 etc to be able to play on another device.

I am a little confused on this transcoding..

Are we using the word properly here? As far as I remember transcoding is converting from one format to another. Recoding or re-Encoding is simply recompressing the data again in the same format.

So if you have a DVD9 and you want to fit it on a DVD5 and CloneDVD needs to compress the data further is it not recoding it? The original is MPEG2 and the final is MPEG2 correct?

CloneDVDMobile would transcode the DVD9 MPEG2 to say H264 etc to be able to play on another device.

Yes, the word is being used properly.

Transcoding, in this case, is the compression from DVD-9 to DVD-5 without decoding and then re-encoding. This is a true and correct definition of the word. CloneDVD, Nero Recode and DVD Shrink transcode. DVD Rebuilder takes longer than the previously mentioned programs because it re-encodes rather than transcoding.

The word can also be applied to converting from one format to another.

Back