• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

About CONTAGION: I'm sorry Warner, I really am (Irdeto: I'm not)

Peer

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
Dear Warner Bros, I like you.

You've produced a great many good movies - I have bought well over 100 "WBs" myself for my private collection. So count me in as one of your most loyal customers.
Also, thank you for not treating non US customers as second hand scum by not applying region codes to your Blu-ray discs. Hats off to that alone.
Those among our users, who merely want to watch originals around the world, would not even require our services for your movies.

There is no denying, that there are people, ranging from "socially challenged" to plain criminal who use our product or others to illegally distribute your movies. That's a Problem, no doubt.

But Irdeto is not the solution.

After hearing that Irdeto claimed the ball on BD+, someone showed me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6wKw8nG5a8
Folks, I warn you, it's difficult to listen to. While some of you may remain calm, others, like me, will have to start fighting the urge to "STOP IT! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" after listening to someone babbling on for more than 2 Minutes without actually saying anything. And these are full 13 minutes of someone trying to torture-talk you into buying Irdeto without actually telling you why that would be a good idea.

I'll summarize: "pffffffffffft.....". Just a lot of hot air. Not a single statement you could actually get a grip on. You can listen to the whole thing and in the end you'll think "What was that? What did he say? Did he say anything? Did I fall asleep? My last 13 minutes are somehow missing."

They love these puffy words like "Active Cloak" ("ooohh!") or "dynamic security" ("ahhhhh!).
In my experience throughout a few different business sectors, companies (or people) who sell their stuff this way, usually don't have anything real to back it up (btw: the whole financial sector works this way, but that's not what I mean - though it does support my point in a very unsettling way).
I have zero respect for that kind of business. Even if it makes my job a lot easier, like in this case.

Considering that Warner Bros is a first time BD+ contractor, you would assume, that Irdeto chucked all they had into this new BD+ protection on CONTAGION. After all, they'd want Warner to become a returning customer.

But one of two things happened:

either

1. they did throw in all they had, but that was indeed not much (yes, we talked about that just now). Or
  2. they have a lot more up their sleeves, but didn't take Warner seriously enough to really care.

Either way, Warner: my advice is: stay out of there.

I found no trace of an Active Cloak. Not even a passive one. I may have stumbled over a dead one somewhere along the way but that's the most I can accredit.
It wasn't really much of a "dynamic" experience either.
I'm sorry.

In an alternative universe, where SlySoft would be baking the BD+ for those discs, the protection would probably hold quite a while longer.
Not because we are magicians, but mainly because we love what we do. And we care about what people think, who give us the money for what we do. And we feel good about people thinking well about giving us the money for what we do.
Ok, granted, also because we know more about the matter - and we don't have to use bubbly words like "dynamic security". (...ugh, that one still makes me shake)

Whoever put that new BD+ on Contagion didn't love their job.
They most likely love your money only, Warner. And let's be straight about that: in the end it's our money, the consumer's. Those who paid for over a hundred Warner discs on their shelf.

Last edited:
Well said, Peer.

One additional note for Warner:

The CONTAGION disc will not play without artifacts with an "officially BD+ licenced" PC software player.

So, your customers *must* use AnyDVD to remove the BD+ protection to watch the original disc on their HTPCs without any disturbance.

That's probably not what you wanted, was it?

They'll probably have to do a recall/exchange scheme for this title like they recently had to do for the German titles Lord of the Rings extended edition and Sucker Punch as the audio was out of sync. Should spend more time doing a basic test before putting titles into production.

The CONTAGION disc will not play without artifacts with an "officially BD+ licenced" PC software player.

They'll probably have to do a recall/exchange scheme for this title like they recently had to do for the German titles Lord of the Rings extended edition and Sucker Punch as the audio was out of sync. Should spend more time doing a basic test before putting titles into production.

It has been reported by one user so far that the disc shows occasional corruption, when played with either PowerDVD or TMT (without AnyDVD in the game).
It would still be interesting to hear whether anyone else, who has the disc, can confirm that.

In either case: WITH AnyDVD running, the disc is definitely ok.

I found no trace of an Active Cloak. Not even a passive one. I may have stumbled over a dead one somewhere along the way but that's the most I can accredit.
It wasn't really much of a "dynamic" experience either.
I'm sorry.

This was my favorite part. :D

-W

It has been reported by one user so far that the disc shows occasional corruption, when played with either PowerDVD or TMT (without AnyDVD in the game).
It would still be interesting to hear whether anyone else, who has the disc, can confirm that.

In either case: WITH AnyDVD running, the disc is definitely ok.

Peer, tell us what you really feel!!

I really enjoyed your rant at the top of this page. If I had coffee, I'd have spit it out of my mouth from the laughter!!

:clap:

spose you didnt see the ^^? Means something like raising your eybrows in sarcasm :) 'Course he's allowed to rant, what kind of people designed that BD+ and "Active Cloak" that the end result is corrupted video

The whole approach to consumers outlined by the entertainment industry is outdated and out of touch with reality, so this Cloak w/e isn't really surprising. Region coding and pricing for example, do as much damage as piracy. It puts people from buying, simple as that.

For a regular joe without serious funds to buy a movie one needs to:

A) Wait for some crazy price drop (why do we need amazon and their likes, to slash the price? why not offer the discs at an affordable price to begin with?).

B) Hope the movie you want to buy will come out in your country close to it's release in it's country of origin. If it doesn't you then have to waste despicable amounts of $$ on shipping (and if you try to save on that by buying several titles you need to be in a country that doesn't charge you VAT of some sort on imports above X price). Then you need to hope the disc isn't region coded as hardware region free players are not common and software players have a certain allowed region changes. Reading back some recent post they also seem to fail doing what they are supposed to do as commercial softwares which is play discs flawlessly cause of various flavors of protections or buggy authoring that require constant patches.

Now more than ever people want leisure and convenience and they are only gonna get more spoiled. To be able to use their purchased content on as many platforms as possible with the least amount of effort. The don't want to sit through 10 million adverts, trailers and bold lettered warnings to get to the movie. They don't want to watch shitty commercials every 10mins on tv. they want to buy an HD video on itunes and play it on anything, not just apple products. A person in Holland should have the same access a person in the US has to a TV show offered for download on amazon.com or itunes US, sure this collides with selling a tv show to * countries but this is the age of global marketing. Restrictions leads to resentment which lead to phenomenons such as piracy and the more those offer a hassle free experience the bigger they get.

I'm not condoning piracy in any way, I spend more a fair amount of money to buy what I like or rent what I just want to watch once. There's a limit to what a person can spend and to how many hoops he has to jump through to buy, watch or listen to what he desires. As I said the consumer now is more spoiled and impatient than ever and the Entertainment industry does too little to fulfill his . He doesn't give a damn about syndication, promotional strategy, theater dates, release dates etc, he wants instant satisfaction and gratification, anywhere, anytime, and he wants it yesterday and not tomorrow.

Time to find a new approach.

Last edited:
spose you didnt see the ^^? Means something like raising your eybrows in sarcasm :) 'Course he's allowed to rant, what kind of people designed that BD+ and "Active Cloak" that the end result is corrupted video

Maybe the "corruption" is the "Active Cloak":disagree:

After hearing that Irdeto claimed the ball on BD+, someone showed me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6wKw8nG5a8

Yow! This guy could put accountants to sleep, make grade school theatrical productions look professional. I've seen cheap amateur training videos where the presenter showed more enthusiasm for the subject than this guy. I don't know what his target audience was, but surely they were very confused what the talk was about when the presentation was finished.

I'll summarize: "pffffffffffft.....". Just a lot of hot air. Not a single statement you could actually get a grip on. You can listen to the whole thing and in the end you'll think "What was that? What did he say? Did he say anything? Did I fall asleep? My last 13 minutes are somehow missing."

They love these puffy words like "Active Cloak" ("ooohh!") or "dynamic security" ("ahhhhh!).
Obviously, you only watched the BS-Bingo video for those who are more interested in Seagal-esk facial expressions than in technical details. If you want to learn how this active cloak thing really works, you have to watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1WB38EHhc
Here's a summary of the plot: An Irdeto guy wearing an active cloak uses his blaster on bugs and attaches sophisticated weaponry to a rocket. I want such an active cloak, too! And I'd like to buy the blaster!

Contagion unrippable?

I don't enjoy raining on the parade but... Spent hours today trying to rip the Contagion disk with no success. This is the first disk AnyDvD HD has failed me on. I'm worried the party is over. So are other people.

Back