• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question About AVC CBR, AVC CVBR and HEVC.

Hoeks92909

Hi, I'm new here. I would like to ask a question. When ripping in AVC quality, should I always just use AVC CVBR? Is there any problem if I rip in AVC and use HEVC or will there be some problem with the visual quality of the video?

To my perception they pretty much look the same, with HEVC saving 30 to 50% Diskspace.
If your playing devices can handle HEVC, go for it.

I think HVEC might save up to 30% I have never seen 50% but that is just me.

I agree with cartman....just make sure your equipment can handle H265 if you want to use HEVC.
If not sure or it can't....AVC CVBR (H264) is fine and will allow you the best audio.

I agree with cartman....just make sure your equipment can handle H265 if you want to use HEVC.
If not sure or it can't....AVC CVBR (H264) is fine and will allow you the best audio.

Is there any Mediainfo style program where I can know which episodes I ripped in AVC CVBR and which ones I ripped in HEVC?

Is there any Mediainfo style program where I can know which episodes I ripped in AVC CVBR and which ones I ripped in HEVC?
MPC -BE, MPC-HC, VLC and I'm sure many others have mediainfo style data built in. One of the easiest is Media Player Classic (MPC)
While playing the video, right click it and click properties.

With MediaInfo itself, you can open a folder of files within the program and it will show the details for each file OR just right click on the
file name and hit mediainfo. (It will be an option if you have mediainfo installed and the option checked in preferences).

Quite literally MediaInfo can do it by opening the software and adding a folder.

EDIT: Beaten. I shouldn't have kept this tab open for so long!

They all look the same (more or less). CBR uses a higher bit rate but it is limited. CVBR will average out about the same bitrate but at complex parts that could benefit the bitrate actually goes higher and simple parts that presumably do not matter (i.e. black bars or plain black screen) it goes lower. Overall CVBR is better. I personally use HEVC since it saves a lot of space, but supposedly it does use more memory than AVC but I never found that to be an issue on modern devices that actually support h265.

I use MediaInfo, but not apparent on how to tell. CBR usually is flagged w/ "Constant Bitrate" some where in there. Kind of a hassle to check every file.

I use MediaInfo, but not apparent on how to tell. CBR usually is flagged w/ "Constant Bitrate" some where in there. Kind of a hassle to check every file.
No other way....and really no reason to check unless the file isn't working properly. If you want to guarantee files will download set it to CBR. If you are
concerned about audio, download both and mux the audio and video. CBR is a guaranteed standard on Amazon. VBR and HEVC are not so you may occasionally
get an error that the playlist cannot be processed.

You can customize your view in Mediainfo:
Open it from Start menu Press Alt+P or click Options->Preferences
Under customize, Click Custom and Select Table by fields, Standard (HTML), confirm with OK
1679224667065.png

Then drag the folder with your mediafiles into the MediaInfo Window and select from the menu View -> Custom

Should look like this for multiple files, you'll notice the CBR in the video stream...
1679224787239.png

Icaros Shell Extensions for Windows can also allow you to add Video Tracks and Audio Tracks as columns for Folder's Details View which will show the codecs used.

So I set my details view as follows, and used the Apply To All Folders option in Windows on the top level of the folders holding my downloads...

2023-03-19_10-45-36.jpg

Thank you so much for your help and tips guys! The reason I am not using Medianfo is that it is not working on my PC.

It would be interesting if AS, like other similar ones, already do on prime, which is being able to download CBR content with EAC3 640Kbps audio, and not having to download twice and remix.
For some it may not be important, but for others it is something that will be valuable to have as an option.

On prime, we can download videos x264 CBR and VCBR, and x265.
CBR on prime doesn't come with 5.1 audio, while CVBR and x265 come enabled.
it's a matter of personal interest, many prefer CBR + EAC3 640Kbps, and this combination AS does not provide us directly.
If they say it's like that because AMZN does it that way, that's not true. Other programs, I can choose CBR, VCBR and x265, with the audio of my choice. Here we are until this version, stuck with CBR with a maximum audio of 192Kbps 5.1, when it should also be 640Kbps 5.1

Seriously though your answer is that CBR is "old codec" and VCBR is "new codec". If you take that away, I'm not even going to argue anymore, just move on and don't go into encode, bitrate, visual quality and end-of-file explanatory mode. But just a small correction, codec is x264 and x265.
x264, by AS and other software, in PRIME, it's coming as CBR and VCBR. However, in AS I don't have CBR with 640Kbps 5.1 EAC3 audio.
A clear limitation of the program, since others have the option of x264 CBR + EAC3 640Kbps.
But anyway, I think this answer is already too long.

Back