• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Aacs targets Anydvd Hd

Last edited:
Sure! Have a look at the AACS specifications available at the link below:

http://www.aacsla.com/specifications/AACS_Spec_HD_DVD_and_DVD_Prerecorded_0_912.pdf

Page 104:
Note that the Internet connection, streaming and Online-Enabling is not available if the Disc is
played back in Standard Content Playback State. Thus, the AACS Object and its function properties are not
available in the State.

Cheers!
Sorry, but I don't see why you conclude AACS on the disc is required for persistent storage or online function. :confused:

That's not completely true.
Networking and Persistent Storage writing, for example, DO require the content to be encapsulated with AACS.
So you are FORCED to use AACS, unless you want to get rid of these functionalities ! :)

Sorry but you are wrong in this case. I was at the DVD Forum conference in Berlin and someone asked this exact question to the Panel of Committee members, the answer was plain and simple, you CAN use networking and persistent storage without AACS. The HD-DVD guys want people to go with HD-DVD not blu-ray, they know that some of the smaller authoring houses simply cant afford the cost of AACS and that's fair enough so why should they be made to suffer?

Sorry but you are wrong in this case. I was at the DVD Forum conference in Berlin and someone asked this exact question to the Panel of Committee members, the answer was plain and simple, you CAN use networking and persistent storage without AACS. The HD-DVD guys want people to go with HD-DVD not blu-ray, they know that some of the smaller authoring houses simply cant afford the cost of AACS and that's fair enough so why should they be made to suffer?

Well that certainly makes sense to me. Not requiring AACS for authoring but then limiting some of the functionality if you don't use it doesn't really make a lot of sense at all. HD DVD really is trying to be the best consumer format, even if the studios are screwing us as a result(see my post on region coding). I'm not sure I fully understand the spec he posted. It was an interesting read, but, I just don't have the background to grasp it all I'm afraid. But it would make sense that you can use ALL aspects of the HD DVD format without AACS if you choose. Let's hope that's the case.

Let me assure you that it is the case. The quote from the specs given simply refers to playaback of standard definition video, not video without AACS. Not sure what your post on region coding said but since HD-DVD does not bind the disc to a region and blu-ray does, I know which i'd choose ;)

Ahhh, ok. THAT makes sense. Obviously those features would not be present for standard definition discs. As for the region coding "issue", basically Newline is delaying the release of Hairspray on HD DVD due to lack of region coding. It'll be available on Blu-ray in November and on HD DVD "sometime in early 2008". Basically they don't want to cannibalize the theatrical releases in other countries so they're going to wait until it's been released world wide before releasing it on home video. This sucks, IMO, because it's just one more reason average Joe Consumer has to pick Blu-ray over HD DVD. I worry that it'll become a trend. James tells me not to worry and that I should relax. I just want the format to win.

Hey guys I think it doesn't matter how they improve AACS Slysoft will crack it. Right Slysoft?:bowdown::bowdown:

Sorry, but I don't see why you conclude AACS on the disc is required for persistent storage or online function. :confused:

As posted on AVS Insiders thread:
Andy Pennell said:
PStorage is divided into three parts, and titles are restricted as to which parts they can get to (each part maps to a directory). They are:

Common - any AACS title can r/w
Per Provider - each studio is assigned a giud and a directory maps to that, any titles from a given studio can r/w
Per Title - only the specific title can r/w

So a title can manage its own space fully, and its Provider space, along with the Common space. Only the Player itself can get to all of it.

There are no "quotas": if one title wants to burn up all of pstorage for itself, it can fill up everything that no-one else has used if it really wanted to. It would be poor practice to do that, but it is possible.

Non-AACS titles have no access to any pstorage: they are considered "untrusted". There is a forthcoming HD DVD feature change allows a non-AACS method of signing and trusting content that will relax this restriction somewhat.

F

Back