• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Aacs targets Anydvd Hd

I was looking through Afterdawn today and read that the AACS is trying to put an end to Anydvd. Here is what was said:

AACS LA to fight cam piracy & AnyDVD HD

4 September 2007 10:04 by Dela
AACS LA to fight cam piracy & AnyDVD HD At a conference held by the DVD Forum in Berlin, the Advanced Access Content System Licensing Authority (AACS LA) unveiled its plans to fight back specifically against SlySoft's AnyDVD HD application, which can rip content from HD DVD and Blu-ray movie discs. The group also appears to be interested in fighting CAM piracy (movies recorded by camcorders in theaters) with video watermarking technology.

Movies shown in cinemas will be given a new watermark invisible to the human eye, but easily picked up by AACS-enabled players. Once the watermark is detected, the player will stop playback completely, according to the Heise Online. Of course, this would actually require a user top be watching a cam movie in an AACS-enabled player, like a HD DVD player or Blu-ray Disc player, so the effect it would have is unknown.

Back to its main purpose, to protect HD DVD and Blu-ray movie discs from being copied, "data keys" will provide additional encryption during the transmission of data from the drive to the PC (bus encryption). The keys will be different for each drive and each movie discs. According to AACS LA, even if hackers found and posted keys, it would not enable anybody else to decrypt the discs with their equipment.

The keys currently being used by SlySoft's AnyDVD HD will soon be revoked also, meaning that the software will be incapable of decrypting newer titles and that users with HD playback software will probably soon need to update.

How will Slysoft respond to this?

Probably won't bother until discs containing the new protection are actually released. I know I wouldn't (other than saying I'm aware of the situation). This is all speculation, and nothing is firmed up. If Slysoft or another company had a plan of attack, they would be foolish to announce it now while AACS can still change its protection schemes.

Last edited:
I would be mad if I bought AnyDVD-HD and could not decrypt newer discs with these new security measures but I could understand. Slysoft has not won the battle yet with AACS.

how do they know that this watermarking thats "invisible to the human eye" will be carried over onto a cam??? do camcorders record light outside the range of the human eye (which i would assume this would have to be) ?

I read discussions about something along the lines of this quite some time ago. One thing I find not fully explained... sorry if it was but I didn't see it... was the term "video watermarking" people are assuming this is visual when it doesn't necessarily have to be. There is already a technique from Trakstar that involves audio-watermarking as a two part technique to stop people recording a movie in the theater with a cam. Do a websearch for Trakstar and watermarking.

I just wanted to throw my $0.02 worth in here on this one. First off, the HD DVD spec is complete, so, they can't add anything new to it that's not already there. Second, at SOME point in the chain the disc's contents have to be readable. So yes, they can play with encryption keys and all that jazz which may or may take Slysoft a while to figure out, but, eventually, it will get figured out. It's inevitable. It's a big game of cat and mouse. Now, the Doom9 guys...that really sucks for them as they don't have the same resources Slysoft has. So depending on what they're REALLY going to implement here, that could be a pain for those guys and a waiting game for us. We've seen "the end of times" predicted many times and Slysoft always bounces back. It just means there's a new challenge for them. So, relax, have a cold one, and watch the show unfold. :D

regarding watermarking:
although nothing is done with the projected movie,i was reading somewhere that where the cinema screen is,either one or more 'bright infra-red' lights is shone into all of the audience areas which interferes with the camcorder (all the camcorder can 'see' is this bright light shining into it.the human eye cant see this infra-red shining light,but the camcorder is sensitive to it).
it was summat like that anyway.

I just wanted to throw my $0.02 worth in here on this one. First off, the HD DVD spec is complete, so, they can't add anything new to it that's not already there. Second, at SOME point in the chain the disc's contents have to be readable. So yes, they can play with encryption keys and all that jazz which may or may take Slysoft a while to figure out, but, eventually, it will get figured out. It's inevitable. It's a big game of cat and mouse. Now, the Doom9 guys...that really sucks for them as they don't have the same resources Slysoft has. So depending on what they're REALLY going to implement here, that could be a pain for those guys and a waiting game for us. We've seen "the end of times" predicted many times and Slysoft always bounces back. It just means there's a new challenge for them. So, relax, have a cold one, and watch the show unfold. :D
This won't bother me one bit since I have no HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player.

regarding watermarking:
although nothing is done with the projected movie,i was reading somewhere that where the cinema screen is,either one or more 'bright infra-red' lights is shone into all of the audience areas which interferes with the camcorder (all the camcorder can 'see' is this bright light shining into it.the human eye cant see this infra-red shining light,but the camcorder is sensitive to it).
it was summat like that anyway.

that would make sense, though i doubt thats the way they are talking about. if all you see if a bunch of white from a ir light or whatever there wont be anything to burn to a disc that the hddvd player wont be supposed to play.

Probably won't bother until discs containing the new protection are actually released. I know I wouldn't (other than saying I'm aware of the situation). This is all speculation, and nothing is firmed up. If Slysoft or another company had a plan of attack, they would be foolish to announce it now while AACS can still change its protection schemes.

Excellent statement, I second this.

Huge publicity for SlySoft and AnyDVD HD, and publicity can not be bad :D

AACS is paid to do something, they get royalties from any HD DVD / BD title which uses their schemes.

Game is more interesting than ever.

I posted on "that other forum" not too long ago, but before the announcement:

"...AACS is not limited to the single Processing key being changed every 3 months or so.

It is much more complicated than that.

There are things like different/multiple Processing keys, Sequence keys for the same/different Processing keys and more.

AACS LA specs are open to the public.

AACS LA relies on the set of the highly secret Master Keys. All other keys can be derived from the "top-floor" Master keys."

And don't discount doom9 yet. If arnezami and some others are still interested, it won't be too long either.

Of course I hope SlySoft will make it first :D

This Cat and Mouse Action has and always will be

Man is imperfect. Anything a man can make, another man can unmake. No matter how sopisticated encryption gets, it will be able to be broken. Whichever point in the pipe the movie gets decypted, this is where the "backup" point can be made. The only way to fully protect any disc is to make it in such a way, that it cannot be played by consumers. Other than that the MPAA will have to set up a surviellance camera in everyones home.

And don't discount doom9 yet. If arnezami and some others are still interested, it won't be too long either.

Of course I hope SlySoft will make it first :D

I would never count out arnezami. I've had some PM's with him and he's an incredibly bright individual. I simply said it would make things more difficult for them because they don't have the resources that Slysoft has. Slysoft gets paid to do this as their day job. Arnezami and crew do it as a hobby in their free time. While they are dedicated and EXTREMELY talented, just by nature of them not having the time it will take longer for them to deal with it. Slysoft can drink beer, hit each other with bats, and play all day. :D (Well, that's what I HEAR happens there. LOL!)

Man is imperfect. Anything a man can make, another man can unmake. No matter how sopisticated encryption gets, it will be able to be broken. Whichever point in the pipe the movie gets decypted, this is where the "backup" point can be made. The only way to fully protect any disc is to make it in such a way, that it cannot be played by consumers. Other than that the MPAA will have to set up a surviellance camera in everyones home.

Exactly. The analogy I've seen before is "Here's a lock. I've given you the key, but, you can ONLY unlock the lock with the key when I tell you that you're allowed to." Yeaaaaaa, how about NO. What they're doing now is akin to hiding the key under the welcome mat. Please....give me a break.

now guys, since you are online, explain something to me.

Why for the love of God would I take the cam rip video into my (HD DVD/BD) AACS-enabled player?

My player is supposed to be High Definition, no?

Either me or AACS are missing something here.

What....cam rips aren't High Def enough for you?!?! ROFLMAO! Yea, they're assuming that no one will keep their DVD players around once they upgrade to HD. Morons. Nothing they do makes sense.

I would never count out arnezami. I've had some PM's with him and he's an incredibly bright individual. I simply said it would make things more difficult for them because they don't have the resources that Slysoft has. Slysoft gets paid to do this as their day job. Arnezami and crew do it as a hobby in their free time. While they are dedicated and EXTREMELY talented, just by nature of them not having the time it will take longer for them to deal with it. Slysoft can drink beer, hit each other with bats, and play all day. :D (Well, that's what I HEAR happens there. LOL!)

I also happened to know there are some other developments not made public yet, not by arnezami and Co but by some other people.

Hint: thank all for the Xbox add-on! :D

I also happened to know there are some other developments not made public yet, not by arnezami and Co but by some other people.

Hint: thank all for the Xbox add-on! :D

ROFLMAO! :) (Best Gears of War voice...) "NICE" :)

Back