• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"AACS Online" & BD-Live - the next challenge?

I'm a newbe so bear with me.

When I recently set up my HD system, I decided on the Sony PS3 as my Blu-ray player (I know Sony DANGER, DANGER!). My system is more than 50 feet from my computer room, but it immediately detected my wireless network, and went on line. I let the PS3 update its firmware, but looked in all the setup menus, and finally found an entry for turning off Inet access. It seems to work, because when I put a Blu-ray movie on, and go to my computer room, neither my wireless routers Inet light nor my satalite modem light show any activity. I have also watched these lights many time when no movie is being watched, no activity shows unless I initiate it from my computer.

So yes they can make you go on line, untill you find out how to turn off Inet access for the player.

when them lights flash that doesn't always mean theres activity per say, your network devices when connected will communicate with one another, (ping one another) this keeps the connections active between them devices, my modem indicates activity even with my computers disconnected unplugged etc, as longs my router and switch are connected, or sometimes with the modem alone as it ping the ISP to keep the connection alive, this does not mean it's sending or receiving data off and on the INTERNET,
perhaps someone here can explain it a little better. but yes them lights do indicate file or data transfer activity as well, but it don't indicate that alone is my point I'm trying to make with the lack of proper fancy wording,:D

In order to win the "war" against the DVD and replace it with BD, the industry needs to realize that it doesn't make sense to put all the copy protection crepp and other BS on it. This will just make the consumer think twice about switching to BD and will slow down the transition. Who knows how much time is left for BD until there is some other way established to publish (HD) movies....

In order to win the "war" against the DVD and replace it with BD, the industry needs to realize that it doesn't make sense to put all the copy protection crepp and other BS on it. This will just make the consumer think twice about switching to BD and will slow down the transition. Who knows how much time is left for BD until there is some other way established to publish (HD) movies....

I would like to agree with you but the only reason BS, sorry, BD exists is because the industry's gang has realized they cannot avoid people using their legally, and sometimes expensively, bought DVD's the way they want, so they came out with the higher quality "hook". They would NEVER offer something better to the consumer without a hidden and 'good' cause. They need to through in all the crap in order to achieve their final goals or else they would not be spending billions. There are only two possible ways out: 1) They win using the HD hook and some price discounts or 2) they blindly crash against the wall.

Last edited:
I'm a newbe so bear with me.

When I recently set up my HD system, I decided on the Sony PS3 as my Blu-ray player (I know Sony DANGER, DANGER!). My system is more than 50 feet from my computer room, but it immediately detected my wireless network, and went on line. I let the PS3 update its firmware, but looked in all the setup menus, and finally found an entry for turning off Inet access. It seems to work, because when I put a Blu-ray movie on, and go to my computer room, neither my wireless routers Inet light nor my satalite modem light show any activity. I have also watched these lights many time when no movie is being watched, no activity shows unless I initiate it from my computer.

So yes they can make you go on line, untill you find out how to turn off Inet access for the player.
That's not Sony forcing you to connect your PS3 to the net, that's you allowing it (and probably anyone else in the neighborhood) to go online because your wlan isn't secure.

What about all the BD players that don't have a network socket!

What about all the BD players that don't have a network socket!
Presumably, the same thing that happens when the BD player that doesn't have a network connection does not play a newly-released BD. It think it's called a "firmware" update - something that the users of this site might not be aware of (thankfully).

I think the owner of the player either writes to the player manfacturer and asks for an update disk to be snail-mailed (and that is one slow snail), or the owner uses his/her internet-connected computer to download a firmware update file from the manufacturer's web site. Then the owner must burn that downloaded file onto a disk and then put that disk into the player and hope like hell that the player will work when the "update" is complete.

In the brave new Sony world, maybe the burned disk will be called a "permission" disk.

Isn't progress wonderful?;)

Most consumers dont care or even know about the copy protection on dvd or bluray.
They put the disc in their player and the movie plays, thats good enough for them.

The reason blu-ray wont take off like dvd did is simple.

DVD had a clear advantage over the previous format VHS.
1. No rewinding
2. Doesnt wear out after play.
3. The quality difference.

Now for the quality difference, it was obvious to anyone that dvd gave a much better picture and sound then vhs, no matter what size or type of tv you have.

Most people cant tell the difference between upscaled dvd and real HD content.
And most people do not have HDTV's.

There's no new challenge.

BD-Live is only for additional material that can be purchased.

This is not correct. While the 'live' stuff is bound to mainly be feature checkbox and 'buy more' crap, they are already using this feature to add additional behind the scenes or other interesting extra's as seen on discs like 'walk hard'.

This is not correct. While the 'live' stuff is bound to mainly be feature checkbox and 'buy more' crap, they are already using this feature to add additional behind the scenes or other interesting extra's as seen on discs like 'walk hard'.
your quite right,some of the additional content on line is excellent and good fun to activate,come the day SONY or any of the studios start this bull***t about aacs then my internet connection will be disconected,simple.:clap:

TBH, i would never dream of buying a standalone BluRay player, or watching a movie from disc, all i do is rip 'em, re-encode etc. and watch on my HTPC, i ahve yet to watch a HD-DVD or BluRay disc on my HTPC that didnt play correctly, although that could well be a software issue.

The geeks are always 10 feet infront of the corporate dudes, and long may it remain.

The only thing holding back BluRay is greed, i mean, how much does it cost to make one of these things? because i know how much they are to buy ...

a more substantial library of movies wouldnt hurt either ...

:bang:

your quite right,some of the additional content on line is excellent and good fun to activate,come the day SONY or any of the studios start this bull***t about aacs then my internet connection will be disconected,simple.:clap:

...and that's when Sony will lean back with a confident grin and wait for you to plug it back in as soon as your hands get shaky lacking another shot from your movie dispenser.

People out there voted for the "far superior format Blu-Ray", so be a nice doggy, wag your tail and do what your new owner tells you to...

As in http://we_all.justgotowned.com/ :D

(thanks Matt for that one).
Anyway - we from SlySoft will continue to make it as comfy as possible, remove a shackle here and a trap there ... and of course - now that certain disc/player combinations come to mind - make it work in the first place.

I for one do NOT welcome our freedom hating, fair use robbing, DRM scheming overlords. The quicker i go back to DVD, the quicker i can get over this stupid "need" to have higher resolution.

My projector is only 720 anyway and a quality mastered DVD still looks good on it.

Good riddins Blu Ray. Sorry I ever knew thee!!!

...and that's when Sony will lean back with a confident grin and wait for you to plug it back in as soon as your hands get shaky lacking another shot from your movie dispenser.

People out there voted for the "far superior format Blu-Ray", so be a nice doggy, wag your tail and do what your new owner tells you to...

As in http://we_all.justgotowned.com/ :D

(thanks Matt for that one).
Anyway - we from SlySoft will continue to make it as comfy as possible, remove a shackle here and a trap there ... and of course - now that certain disc/player combinations come to mind - make it work in the first place.
or is it the tail wagging the dog,if sony treated its customers as good as slysoft does with theirs the world would be a better place for us lovers of the silver screen and those shiny discs.:agree:

Back