• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A question to Slysoft team

A related question...the code that CloneDVD Mobile uses...is that OSS?

Yes, it is. And we say so in the about, the history, ...
We use mencoder.exe as a standalone and we provide the mencoder source code (we don't link against avformat.dll, avutil.dll and avcodec.dll which would be considerably easier *because* we don't want to violate GPL. So the others gain an "unfair competitive advantage". Hey, we could try to sue them because of this. :D ... <- I am *not* serious, even if this would probably be possible under european law)

EDIT: I assume you know the consequences when linking against a library under GPL? The *whole* program's souce must be made available (not just the source of the library).

Last edited:
Yes, it is. And we say so in the about, the history, ...
We use mencoder.exe as a standalone and we provide the mencoder source code (we don't link against avformat.dll, avutil.dll and avcodec.dll which would be considerably easier *because* we don't want to violate GPL. So the others gain an "unfair competitive advantage". Hey, we could try to sue them because of this. :D ... <- I am *not* serious, even if this would probably be possible under european law)

Then I will say this and hope that it has meaning to you guys. *I* appreciate you doing the right thing and following the GPL! It makes you a better company and a better developer to actually care about OSS and the licensing agreement. Unfortunately, and I know you'll agree with this, end users aren't going to care one way or another so long as the product works. Hell, I didn't even KNOW they were violating the GPL until you mentioned it! So, it's hard to do the right thing, but, very admirable.

EDIT: I assume you know the consequences when linking against a library under GPL? The *whole* program's souce must be made available (not just the source of the library).

Yes, of course, but, I only know that because I have an entire legal department threatening to kill me if I even consider using GPL code. :D LPGL is different and we are allowed to use it so long as legal approves it. This is as it should be!!!!! What P*SSES me off is when I see developers taking GPL source, changing the headers, and calling it their own. E.G. what you found in the ConvertXToDVD dll's. I have zero tolerance for that kind of nonsense...

Just checked VSO CopyToDVD... and gues what?
avcodec.dll, avformat.dll and avutil.dll. All GPL based. All say "Copyright © 2004-2007 VSO Software"
No word of GPL in the EULA. No source code link. I'm now getting really p*ssed. :mad:

EDIT: I wonder for what purpose CopyToDVD needs these DLLs?
EDIT2: Do they bundle it with the CopyToDVD burn engine? Can anybody using 1-click DVD check?

I checked and avcodec.dl it appears in the 1clickdvdcopy pro installation folder. if you check the properties is states" AV coder and decoder", avformar.dll stats "AV muxer and demuxer". These appears only in the PRO version of 1clickdvdcopy, so I suppose that it is for the preview windows. avutil.dll no appears in 1click folder. But these 3 files appeared in convertxtodvd folder, so I suppose that is used for their encoding engine.

I checked and avcodec.dl it appears in the 1clickdvdcopy pro installation folder. if you check the properties is states" AV coder and decoder", avformar.dll stats "AV muxer and demuxer". These appears only in the PRO version of 1clickdvdcopy, so I suppose that it is for the preview windows. avutil.dll no appears in 1click folder. But these 3 files appeared in convertxtodvd folder, so I suppose that is used for their encoding engine.
So, the LG Innovations people ignore GPL, too.
Really, really sad. :(

So, the LG Innovations people ignore GPL, too.
Really, really sad. :(

Yes it is...

Soooooooo, feel like adding some functionality to CloneDVD Mobile for us so we can get rid of ConvertXToDVD?? :D

I know. The quality isn't exactly STELLAR, but, overall I've been quite pleased with it.

Well, usually I use it as I said for three 1 hr episodes. I convert into 1 DVD and then I run it though DVD-RB Pro with CCE and do a One Pass VBR (w/analysis). Call me crazy but to me I think the image looks better after running it through DVD-RB. I could be crazy but it doesn't take that long to do.

As I said in another thread, I've been using it since the days they releasd the freeware test versions.

Yeah, I started using it back when it was freeware and still named DivXToDVD, too.

What do you think works better: Asking for a refund with the words "I am not paying for stolen code" or filing a complaint with http://gpl-violations.org/

In my case I purchased ConvertXToDVD but it was a very long time ago. I can't see them refunding money considering how long I've had it and the use I got out of it. I could see them flatly refusing.

What a shame, I like the concept of this program.

*cough* Well... maybe Slysoft can come up with a product of their own that does what ConvertXToDVD does but is even better. :D

Unfortunately, and I know you'll agree with this, end users aren't going to care one way or another so long as the product works. Hell, I didn't even KNOW they were violating the GPL until you mentioned it! So, it's hard to do the right thing, but, very admirable.

I care but I'm also stuck between a rock and a hard place. I already own the product and can't ask for a refund this late in the game. *sigh*

Summary

So, the summary of this thread is:
- SlySoft gets constantly accused for stealing public domain (not even GPL!) code, but doesn't
- SlySoft doesn't use GPL/OSS code (except for CloneDVD mobile: mencoder.exe)
- but (almost) everybody else in this business does, violating GPL back and forth.

:(

PS: I am p*ssed and I am going to watch "A Scanner Darkly" on HD DVD now. Bye, folks..

This is the thing that sucks...as much as I abhor the fact that they're illegally using GPL code, I've tried the freeware solutions and they just don't work as well for me. ConvertXToDVD makes it easy and does what it says. However, I do believe Slysoft could either match it or do better. I would be willing to shell out 29 bucks USD for a program that did all this. Hint hint. :D

- SlySoft gets constantly accused for stealing public domain (not even GPL!) code, but doesn't
- but (almost) everybody else in this business does, violating GPL back and forth.

:(

Let me think, here, uh, yes, yes, and unfortunately, yes. Life is so not fair. BTW, you need some beta testers for the new functionality yet? :D

In my case I purchased ConvertXToDVD but it was a very long time ago. I can't see them refunding money considering how long I've had it and the use I got out of it. I could see them flatly refusing.
They cannot sell you something they do not own, can they?
If you find out that the car was stolen you bought 3 years ago... wouldn't you want your money back?
But I am no lawyer...

That's a tough question. I didn't buy this particular program...I am a gold member of VSO software so I get all their software for life. But it does upset me that they're using GPL software and not only not giving credit, but, changing the copyright?! That's sleazy and underhanded. :(
You can ask a refund for your Goldmembership. I am not in the mood, but you can check Blindwrite, Phototodvd (whatever) they'll probably violating the GPL as well.

You can ask a refund for your Goldmembership. I am not in the mood, but you can check Blindwrite, Phototodvd (whatever) they'll probably violating the GPL as well.

I may look into it. Which really sucks. I LIKE their products. This is so very wrong. But I can't support a company that pirates(yes, I said PIRATES) code for commercial gain. It's just not right. :(

This truly sucks and to be honest I already respected you guys but all this has proven to me that you deserve even more respect. You guys have integrity while others... do not.

They cannot sell you something they do not own, can they?

No!

If you find out that the car was stolen you bought 3 years ago... wouldn't you want your money back?

Yes! And I'd bring the cops with me when I went to get the money back.

But I am no lawyer...

Nor am I.

Sadly, it's one thing to use logic and altogether another to get results. You are correct in what you said but in reality I don't know where it'll get me. Hypothetically speaking... if they say no then what? I threaten with a lawsuit? And then I hire a lawyer... etc. How much will this cost in the end to get my money back if I even do manage to get it back at all? *curse* :mad:

I'm one of those people who maybe blindingly expected companies to follow the rules when it comes to GPL, etc. Apparently I'll have to pay more attention in the future. It's one thing if a dinky no-name programmer does it but to see this from a larger company like VSO bothers me greatly. Neither one is right but the larger company has more of a reputation and integrity to uphold.

PS: I almost purchased CopyToDVD last night if not the gold membership due to their 5 yr 50% rebate that they have right now. Now I'm glad I held off. Really REALLY glad.

Well, I guess I'm going to experiment with Nero Vision 4.9.5.7 for awhile since I already own Nero 7 Ultra. It's not nearly as simplistic as VSO ConverXToDVD but it's also not rocket science. The menu features are rather nice. I'm just unsure about the quality. Is there really much difference between their Fast Encoding (1-Pass) & High Quality (2-Pass VBR)?

I really need to build a new system. This takes entirely too long.

Edit: There is also a new beta of DVD Flick out. It's v1.2.1.4 build 367 beta.

Last edited:
Sorry Peer, but I think you mix things up. I don't think Fengtao planted troll posts.

I'm quite sure, I remember seeing one myself among user comments on an online magazine article.
Some guy with an anonymous name wrote an "official" sounding statement (written in "chinese english") about a Fengtao product, including something like "we will" or so.
And then later I saw a comment on a different article from the same guy bashing SlySoft for doing something that SlySoft never did (forgot the accuse, it's been a while...).

But you're right, I can't be 100% sure and maybe I should delete my post...

Back