• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A question to Slysoft team

See! I told you this would happen!! :D ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

(I love creative quoting.....sometimes. ;) )
We have an unwritten forum rule: Intentional misquoting results in 20 strikes with the foam bat.

EDIT:
Executed by me, not the SlyBabes. Har, har...

We have an unwritten forum rule: Intentional misquoting results in 20 strikes with the foam bat.

Darnit! Hey, wait, what's the rule against writing unwritten rules in the forum? :)

Ah, yes, but James, peer and Tom are exempt since they are employed by Slysoft. ;)

Hmmm....in that case, foam bat wars, eh? Sounds like fun! :) Oh, I don't get a bat?! Well, we'll see about that...armed vs unarmed combat IS one of the things we learn in the martial art I study. :D

Hmmm....in that case, foam bat wars, eh? Sounds like fun! :) Oh, I don't get a bat?! Well, we'll see about that...armed vs unarmed combat IS one of the things we learn in the martial art I study. :D

So we have to strip you to the table first. But this is getting a little off topic, isn't it? By the way, what was the topic: "A question to Slysoft team". Question was answered. Maybe Webslinger should close this thread now, before I have to go out and buy more foam bats... :D

So we have to strip you to the table first.

Scary image... *shudder* ;)

But this is getting a little off topic, isn't it? By the way, what was the topic: "A question to Slysoft team". Question was answered. Maybe Webslinger should close this thread now, before I have to go out and buy more foam bats... :D

Probably for the best, yes.

I believe DVDFab uses open source code originally licensed under the GPL anyway without mentioning it or offering the DVDFab sources, so I don't think Fengtao cares much about open source or what people say. Maybe customers don't care if stolen code is used, as long as it works.

Just searching the strings in avcodec.dll shipping with DVDFabPlatinum 3.1.0.8

"This software is derived from the GNU GPL XviD codec (1.1.0).
Your software distributor has to give access to its source code"

Ah, interesting. Where is the link to the source? Where is the copy of the GPL license?

From the readme.txt:

DVDFab Platinum 3.1.0.8
Copyright (C) 2001-2007 Fengtao Software Inc.

No mention of GPL code in readme.txt or license.txt
Sigh. I just checked VSO's ConvertXtoDVD. Same deal. Uses GPL based avcodec.dll (but this time even better, the dll itself says Copyright © 2004-2007 VSO Software)
The Comments say: Collection of audio and video encoders/decoders, based on FFMPEG library

Again, no mention of GPL in readme or about box, or link to the source code (GPL requires this)

And nobody cares. :(

ACK! That's not good. :( I actually use that product quite a bit. sigh...

ACK! That's not good. :( I actually use that product quite a bit. sigh...
I just wanted to evaluate it before purchase. Evaluation ended before starting it for the first time. :(

I just wanted to evaluate it before purchase. Evaluation ended before starting it for the first time. :(

That REALLY blows. It's a good product that does a decent job. It's unfortunate that they're violating OSS licensing terms. This is a disturbing trend.

That REALLY blows. It's a good product that does a decent job. It's unfortunate that they're violating OSS licensing terms. This is a disturbing trend.

Oh, I believe you misunderstood: *I* ended further evaluation *because* they're violating OSS licensing terms.

Oh, I believe you misunderstood: *I* ended further evaluation *because* they're violating OSS licensing terms.

No, I fully understood what you were saying. And I'm saying it blows that they did that. I don't blame you at all for ending your evaluation as a result.

A related question...the code that CloneDVD Mobile uses...is that OSS?

Sigh. I just checked VSO's ConvertXtoDVD. Same deal. Uses GPL based avcodec.dll (but this time even better, the dll itself says Copyright © 2004-2007 VSO Software)
The Comments say: Collection of audio and video encoders/decoders, based on FFMPEG library

Again, no mention of GPL in readme or about box, or link to the source code (GPL requires this)

And nobody cares. :(

This really does suck b/c I love this software. Grrr. :mad:

*sigh* This is easiest program I've used for converting and merging 3 DivX episodes of a TV show into a single DVD. DVD Flick is nice but you can't make a menu. Dammit! :(

I know. The quality isn't exactly STELLAR, but, overall I've been quite pleased with it. As I said in another thread, I've been using it since the days they releasd the freeware test versions. That doesn't please me that they're violating OSS terms. :(

Just checked VSO CopyToDVD... and gues what?
avcodec.dll, avformat.dll and avutil.dll. All GPL based. All say "Copyright © 2004-2007 VSO Software"
No word of GPL in the EULA. No source code link. I'm now getting really p*ssed. :mad:

EDIT: I wonder for what purpose CopyToDVD needs these DLLs?
EDIT2: Do they bundle it with the CopyToDVD burn engine? Can anybody using 1-click DVD check?

Last edited:
Just checked VSO CopyToDVD... and gues what?
avcodec.dll, avformat.dll and avutil.dll. All GPL based. All say "Copyright © 2004-2007 VSO Software"
No word of GPL in the EULA. No source code link. I'm now getting really p*ssed. :mad:

EDIT: I wonder for what purpose CopyToDVD needs these DLLs?

They use it I think on their audio cd stuff maybe? I'm not sure. I haven't been using the darn thing lately anyway as it doesn't work right in Vista for me. Nonetheless, I've seen companies do that kind of thing before(use GPL and change the copyright to their own) and it REALLY upsets me to no end. The sad part is they believe they won't get in trouble for it and they're PROBABLY right!!

They use it I think on their audio cd stuff maybe? I'm not sure. I haven't been using the darn thing lately anyway as it doesn't work right in Vista for me. Nonetheless, I've seen companies do that kind of thing before(use GPL and change the copyright to their own) and it REALLY upsets me to no end. The sad part is they believe they won't get in trouble for it and they're PROBABLY right!!

What do you think works better: Asking for a refund with the words "I am not paying for stolen code" or filing a complaint with http://gpl-violations.org/

EDIT: I actually can only do the latter, as I was still evaluating. But maybe others have bought it. What a shame, I like the concept of this program.

Last edited:
What do you think works better: Asking for a refund with the words "I am not paying for stolen code" or filing a complaint with http://gpl-violations.org/

EDIT: I actually can only do the latter, as I was still evaluating. But maybe others have bought it. What a shame, I like the concept of this program.

That's a tough question. I didn't buy this particular program...I am a gold member of VSO software so I get all their software for life. But it does upset me that they're using GPL software and not only not giving credit, but, changing the copyright?! That's sleazy and underhanded. :(

Back