• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A question to Slysoft team

Right, the only time people care is when they are trying to get other people not to use a software program like... I don't know... AnyDVD. The right person makes an accusation and voila suddenly it must be true! *sigh* Idiocy run rampant.
So I can say now "don't use DVDFab Platinum, it uses stolen code!" ? :D
(Which in this case would even be true)

Would it even be worth going after him? Not really.
He would probably change the license.txt to be governed by the laws of China. :)

Boy, maybe it's time to start an open discussion with those folks.
It's ridiculous, since they really don't seem to know much about us, and I feel they have this picture of greedy, slimy little SlySoft monsters housing in caves and ignoring moral of any sort.

Well, I don't see them approaching you first. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to initiate a dialog. It can't hurt and hopefully they'll be interested in it. On the downside... if the wrong person is approached a very twisted version of your approach might be told.

I really don't see the problem, as we are no danger to them - and I don't think they cost us too many customers; it's just two different kind of people, their and our users. Their users think it's cool to get it for free, even if every single rip is real hard work :)
So I don't really see a reason for this animosity.

I can't speak for the doom9 crowd or anyone but myself. I guess the easiest way to visualize it is doom9 is Robin Hood and Slysoft isn't. That hardly explains nor excuses unfounded accusations.

Last edited:
At least one moderator on the doom9 (and probably the Digital Digest forums . . . although I haven't bothered searching) made unkind remarks about how Slysoft operates in the past (seemed to imply a "license key fiasco" and wondered "how much [Slysoft] will take of the great work done [at Doom9], package it up with a foxy icon and sell it to people?").

When a moderator starts making those (not so subtle) remarks/questions on Doom9, then I really don't wonder why animosity towards Slysoft begins to spread.
I believe this post is quite old, isn't it? I understand that people become suspicious if SlySoft announces a commercial HD decrypter just a few days after muslix64 findings (and as Peer said, we announced it because of his findings which caught us by surprise).
I don't think the blue man would write the same post again today.

@James and DrinkLyeAndDie

Ok, I understand about protecting Slysoft's reputation and not wanting people to falsely accuse Slysoft of ripping off freeware software and all that. HOWEVER, is it not just as wrong to rip apart a competing product based on speculation? :) Look, I get what you're saying here and understand the points you're trying to make, but, just be careful with how far you take it.

I'll be highly blunt here, and James won't like this one bit(sorry!), but, I feel that it's good that there's at least ONE freeware solution left for the copying world. Relying on one product, even as good as AnyDVD is, is a scary proposition. Not that I have ANY complaints with AnyDVD or Slysoft in any way. I don't. I'm just saying that it's better to HAVE choices than not. That being said, AnyDVD is clearly the better solution for so many reasons that have already been listed. I for one am glad I bought it and have never once regretted the purchase. The support we get for all Slysoft and Elby products is truly amazing.

So, really, I have NO complaints here at all. Just, don't fall into the trap of berating a competing product just for the sake of bashing it.

Ok, I understand about protecting Slysoft's reputation and not wanting people to falsely accuse Slysoft of ripping off freeware software and all that. HOWEVER, is it not just as wrong to rip apart a competing product based on speculation? :) Look, I get what you're saying here and understand the points you're trying to make, but, just be careful with how far you take it.
I don't think using a hex editor on the program code to extract the strings I mentioned is just speculation.

I'll be highly blunt here, and James won't like this one bit(sorry!),
I (almost) always like everything you say. :D

but, I feel that it's good that there's at least ONE freeware solution left for the copying world.
I wasn't talking about DVDFabDecrypter (HD). I was talking about DVDFab Platinum as an example that Fengtao doesn't seem to care much about using GPL code.

I don't think using a hex editor on the program code to extract the strings I mentioned is just speculation.

True enough. I won't argue that you're information isn't valid...that wasn't the point. :) I was merely suggesting the moral high ground. :D

I (almost) always like everything you say. :D

Well, that's good to know. :) It's appreciated!

I wasn't talking about DVDFabDecrypter (HD). I was talking about DVDFab Platinum as an example that Fengtao doesn't seem to care much about using GPL code.

Also true. And I do realize this is the reason you didn't want to use later versions of FixVTS in the AnyDVD ripper. (Granted, explaining that concept to people was ridiculous). So, I do understand where you're coming from. But, isn't having the better products enough? LOL

My goal wasn't to bash DVDFab. As a program it's alright. It's just not what I use, need or particularly like. That doesn't mean it isn't good, however. My real point was simply pondering why DVDFab has remained free of any criticism while Slysoft still is attacked. I, personally, have nothing against DVDFab although I'm a bit bothered that they're violating the the license for Xvid.

I'll be highly blunt here, and James won't like this one bit(sorry!), but, I feel that it's good that there's at least ONE freeware solution left for the copying world. Relying on one product, even as good as AnyDVD is, is a scary proposition.

No argument from me on this one. I am a Slysoft supporter and AnyDVD will always be the first tool I use but I'm all about options. Do I have a problem with DVDFab handling HD/BR? Hell no. I'm very happy that DVDFab handles ProtectDVD now, as well. Not only does this mean more options for people wanting to protect their investment but it also continues and expands the movement of people saying "Hell no!" to the Industry.

Not that I have ANY complaints with AnyDVD or Slysoft in any way. I don't. I'm just saying that it's better to HAVE choices than not. That being said, AnyDVD is clearly the better solution for so many reasons that have already been listed. I for one am glad I bought it and have never once regretted the purchase. The support we get for all Slysoft and Elby products is truly amazing.

So, really, I have NO complaints here at all. Just, don't fall into the trap of berating a competing product just for the sake of bashing it.

Sorry, if what I said was misintepreted. I was just somewhat intrigued that no one has ever commented on DVDFabs dealing with HD/BR. And, while it does bother me that DVDFab uses code w/o following the license it was released under... so be it. That's not really my problem since I don't use it

Also true. And I do realize this is the reason you didn't want to use later versions of FixVTS in the AnyDVD ripper. (Granted, explaining that concept to people was ridiculous). So, I do understand where you're coming from. But, isn't having the better products enough? LOL

It usually is. However, it sometimes annoys me when people

a) take GPL code and make a commercial product out of it, and nobody cares.
b) gain a competitive advantage by doing this (less time to market, much lower development costs)

And it makes me feel like a fool when I jump through loops because I am not as cold blooded as others (rewrite the AnyDVD ripper because *I* didn't want to take GPL code from FixVTS or VOBBlanker)

But I agree, I'll give it a rest. It isn't my job to enforce others to respect the GPL. The authors of the code which is (ab)used can do this, if they want to.

I understand your position and I don't think anything that was said here was bad at all. I just didn't want to see it GET to that point is all. :) DVDFab seemed ok to me when I trialed it, but, it didn't offer me anything over and above what I already use. I'm extremely pleased with their decision to release a freeware ripper. They did that after DVD Decrypter was eliminated and was a genuine good thing for the community. I also don't like the fact that they appear to be violating a GPL license...that seems quite wrong...but that's for the author of the product who's license is being violated to deal with. Anyway, like I said, I was just trying to prevent a "God, their product sucks" post. :D

I, personally, have nothing against DVDFab although I'm a bit bothered that they're violating the the license for Xvid.
Not only Xvid. But I'll give it a rest, look for yourself.

It usually is. However, it sometimes annoys me when people

a) take GPL code and make a commercial product out of it, and nobody cares.
b) gain a competitive advantage by doing this (less time to market, much lower development costs)

And it makes me feel like a fool when I jump through loops because I am not as cold blooded as others (rewrite the AnyDVD ripper because *I* didn't want to take GPL code from FixVTS or VOBBlanker)

But I agree, I'll give it a rest. It isn't my job to enforce others to respect the GPL. The authors of the code which is (ab)used can do this, if they want to.

I completely agree with all of this. Being a developer myself I understand how tempting it is to do something like that (take GPL code and commercialize it). If I were to do that in my job and got caught, I'd be fired immediately and rightfully so. It's one thing to have permission...it's another to steal. It's good that you do it the right way. *I* have more respect for you and Slysoft as a result. :)

Anyway, like I said, I was just trying to prevent a "God, their product sucks" post. :D
You would never hear that from me (unless I am drunk or joking around). :D

There is a freeware solution to be found at Doom9.org.

For HDDVD and BR, yes. R4M, the last real freeware DVD ripper that handled nasty protections, is no longer being developed as you know. Which makes Fengtao's freeware solution the last (working) one out there.

I understand completely where you're heading here.
But it's not as simple as that.
There is a history to that company - James can tell you more about it, though I'm not sure, he will do - they did some hideous attacks in the past towards us (like planting troll posts in forums with the simple aim to discredit SlySoft). You will usually not find any member of SlySoft treating a competitor disrespectfully.

I know the history, unfortunately. And as I said to James, I appreciate that you run your business based on the quality of your products and not attacking the competition unfairly. That means a lot to some of us.

They are really in the business of copying - they take everything (like James posted earlier, they don't care about licenses), they even once copied a press release of ours using nearly the same words (well nothing really bad about that, it's rather a funny curiosity :D).
Anyway we kept taking all that, so don't be surprised, if some of that anger comes out sometimes...

It's human nature to want to take out some of the anger and I don't blame you at all. My only point was simply to be cautious about where and how you do so. I wouldn't want to see some of that anger come back to bite you in the ass later down the road. Taking out the frustration by "bashing" the competition can be used by those who'd rather see the company fail and damage Slysoft's reputation. That would be HIGHLY unfortunate.

It may be the way things are handled in the far east - what's good and bad is always determined by the society you're living in. But according to the rules we have in our part of the world, I'd rather tend to say not so nice things about them... I simply hesitate to, 'cause I don't want to suddenly find myself down on their level...

Couldn't agree more.

There is a history to that company - James can tell you more about it, though I'm not sure, he will do - they did some hideous attacks in the past towards us (like planting troll posts in forums with the simple aim to discredit SlySoft).
Sorry Peer, but I think you mix things up. I don't think Fengtao planted troll posts.

I was just trying to prevent a "God, their product sucks" post. :D

I won't sit here and say I've never made a statement like that because I probably have but I was definitely not heading down that road in this situation. I may dislike programs but it takes a lot for me to just come out and say it sucks.

I've definitely never said DVDFab sucks. In fact, I've recommended it to some people because they refused to pay for AnyDVD. I also told them that any issues they encounter they can deal with on the DVDFab forum and not ask me for help. That's not bashing DVDFab, either. They're not the most computer literate people. ;)

I do appreciate the purpose and point of your posting, however. :clap:

Not only Xvid. But I'll give it a rest, look for yourself.

I'll take your word for it. :D

Back