• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A Halloween horror movie recommendation

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
Just in time for Halloween the cult horror movie Pieces from 1983 has finally be released on DVD (http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Christ...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225324688&sr=8-1). The DVD release has 2 discs including a new hi-definition anamorphic digital restoration of the original uncensored version and interviews.

I'm not into gory horrors. I prefer horror movies that are more psychological where you are lead up to the point of the violence but you are left to see it in your own imagination. Nonetheless, I saw this movie back in the 80's and it left an indelible image in my memory that I will never ever forget. I won't say which part of the movie the specific scene occurs but if you see it you'll know which one I'm talking about.

If you are into violence, gore, horror, and the cheesiness of 80's horror movies then I'd recommend this movie. It's perfect for a movie marathon with friends on Halloween Night/Weekend when you are tired of the same old horror movies.

This is not a movie for kids or people who don't like gore. Don't expect the most cerebral movie in the world.

From Amazon:

Editorial Reviews

Eli Roth, director of CABIN FEVER and HOSTEL
"One of my top horror films of all time! Not only is this the ultimate chainsaw movie, it's the ultimate slasher film. It has everything you could possibly want, by the bucketful. Full on chainsaw violence, absurd amounts of nudity, and the greatest ending in horror history.
A masterpiece of early 80's sleaze."

Product Description

GRINDHOUSE RELEASING is proud to present the first official US DVD release of the sickest and most violent of all the early '80s slasher movies. A psychopathic killer stalks a Boston campus, brutally slaughtering nubile young college co-eds, collecting body parts from each victim to create the likeness of his mother who he savagely murdered with an axe when he was ten years old! PIECES is a wild, unrated gorefest, with enough splatter and sleaze to shock the most jaded horror fan.

WARNING Due to its SHOCKING and VIOLENT subject matter, no one under 17 should view this film.

Last edited:
I recommend The Orphanage directed Juan Antonio Bayona.
From Amazon.com:

Editorial Reviews - Amazon.com
It's only his first film, but Spain’s Juan Antonio Bayona has already figured out the secret to a successful supernatural thriller: emphasize character over special effects. Like Walter Salles's Dark Water and Alejandro Amenábar's The Others, The Orphanage pivots on a pretty woman and an unusual child. When her old orphanage goes on the market, Laura (Belén Rueda, Amenábar's The Sea Inside) and Carlos (Fernando Cayo) settle in with their son, Simón (Roger Príncep). Once acclimated to the remote seaside surroundings, they plan to re-open it as a home for special-needs children. Meanwhile, their seven-year-old doesn't know he's adopted or that he has a life-threatening illness. He does, however, have a lot of imaginary playmates. When Simón disappears without a trace, his parents contact the police, but to no avail. Because Laura has been hearing odd noises and having strange visions, they proceed to consult a medium. Aurora (Geraldine Chaplin, speaking perfect Spanish) is convinced they aren't alone. Carlos has his doubts, but Laura makes like a detective and revisits her childhood--through photographs, home movies, and exploration of the spooky stone manor--to determine who or what abducted her son. Produced and presented by Guillermo Del Toro, The Orphanage is less fanciful than his works, though it does bear a vague resemblance to the ghostly Devil's Backbone. There are a few gory make-up effects, but Bayona mostly preys on our fear of the unknown to craft a first-rate fright fest. --Kathleen C. Fennessy

Product Description
A woman discovers dark secrets hidden within her cherished childhood home in the supernatural drama THE ORPHANAGE the feature film debut of acclaimed young Spanish director Juan Antonio Bayona. A superbly atmospheric and emotionally powerful tale of love loss and guilt....

Back