A few thoughts about piracy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Peer, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

@Homeworld how are they doing that? Well they're not going to tell you that now will they. That would tell the pirates exactly what to look for to 'undo' it.

2. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Have you seen the crud that they offer in their digital copy??

3. jpgator7

jpgator7 New Member

Vert well said, and true.

4. I have to put my two cents in here........I am a firm believer that when I purchase something, it is MINE to do with as I see fit (legally). When I purchase a motor
    vehicle, a piece of electronic gear, some furniture......it is MINE......I feel the same about movies, and other electronic media.....I have the "right" not the privilege
    to make copies for myself, as backups, etc......and IF I wish to make a copy for one of my relatives.....the disk is MINE.....I paid for it and NOT for the "privilege"
    to view it, etc. When I was in law enforcement, years ago, one of our instructors told us: "You can only enforce the traffic laws the motoring public "allows" you to
    enforce....if they feel a law is unjust, unfair, and just plain counter productive, they will NOT follow it." When I made a trip to sunny California, long ago the speed
    limit was the "double nickle" 55 mph......yeah right.......the average speed on the freeways was over 70 and even the Chips were going that fast....never saw a
    vehicle pulled over all the time we were in the city on the freeways. Everyone was driving about 70mph or slightly above and the Chips basically drove the same
    speed.....the motoring public just thumbed their noses at the 55mph, and the Chips had no recourse but to go along with it, as the public was not going to "allow"
    them to enforce it......

Regardless of how folks view and feel about "copyright laws" for good or bad......the public, for the most overwhelming part, feel the movies they purchase are
    theirs to do with as they see fit, copy, don't copy, copy an loan out, copy and give away.....NOT sell, just copy for a friend if you wish......right or wrong that is
    how most folks feel if they would tell the truth....you cannot "legislate" morality.....Second chance vest company, that produced bullet resistant vests, had a
    saying: "There will never be a vest that cannot be defeated, or a round that connot be stopped". It is the same with all the copyright issues, it is a vicious
    circle, tit for tat......and companies like Slysoft, Redfox, and others will be their for the public....the public who feels that the movie industry has no right to
    impose laws on products that are purchased by said public, and then try to impose an everlasting prohibition on the public individual who legally purchased their
    product, to use that product as the owner of it. For the producer of the product, to basically say: "We STILL own the product, you are simply purchasing the
    privilege of using it, you do not own it, we do..." goes against the grain so to speak.....being redundant here......oh well....

5. Homeworld

Homeworld Well-Known Member

I quite like Flixter for my UltraViolet HD Digital copy. It works.
    Long time since I replied. No it was more of a rhetorical question back then. I was just thinking about a website that has since been disabled and shut down, they survived by always removing content when a company or dmca request was filed. I'm really interested in piracy (or rather anti-piracy) from a business perspective. I have some free time.... haha.

AnyDVD works anyway, I was initially concerned about the online only components, not really now. Who isn't online at any point these days?

Lately I'm interested in how Microsoft removed movie scenes from a PC game and forced everyone to stream them. Then I've been delving into the silliness over Denuvo. People really seem to dislike DRM in any form whilst not considering the business reasons for a company to do so, even when they're purchasing the protected product.

6. Recycle

Recycle Well-Known Member

In the US the courts have upheld the "Fair Use" ruling already for media you own and bought. So as long as it's for your own use then you can do whatever you want. It stops when you use it to profit or make financial gains from it.

7. nebostrangla

nebostrangla Well-Known Member

And it doesn't have any DRM or any other protection mechanism's on it that must be circumvented. That's the catch 22 of it all.
    And there's alot of laws on the books intentionally written that way . So they can say you can do "X" but really you can't according to the way the entire law was wrote.

8. Jito463

Jito463 Member

The problem with your argument (which goes to the root of why "stealing" digital goods, is copyright infringement, not theft), is that you can't simply copy a car and give it to a friend. You can't simply buy a TV once, copy it and put a copy in every room you own. Physical, tangible products must be purchased, because they cannot be duplicated in the same manner digital information can. When you buy a game or a movie, you're not buying the physical disc it's stored on, you're buying access to the 1's and 0's on the disc. The disc is simply the transportation medium, that you use to access those 1's and 0's.

eviltester likes this.
  9. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

Which is why many newer games and movies are being released via digital means these days, using either a DRM frontend or direct internet access to determine proper licensing.

10. Sw0rdf1sh

Sw0rdf1sh Member

I posted a question about access rights but after a little digging, found the answer and edited the post.

U.S. COPYRIGHT OFFICE

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

JOINT COMMENTS OF THE DVD COPY CONTROL ASSOCIATION

(“DVD CCA”) AND THE ADVANCED ACCESS CONTENT SYSTEM

LICENSING ADMINISTRATOR LLC (“AACS LA”) ON PROPOSED CLASS 8

In the matter of Exemption to Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies under 17 U.S.C. § 1201

“When consumers buy a DVD or Blu-ray disc, they are not purchasing the motion picture itself, rather they are purchasing access to the motion picture which affords only the right to access the work according to the format’s particular specifications (i.e., through the use of a DVD player), or the Blu-ray Disc format specifications (i.e., through the use of a Blu-ray format player). Consumers are able to purchase the copy at its retail price because it is distributed on a specific medium that will play back on only a licensed player. In prior exemption proceedings, the Register and Librarian have recognized that there is no unqualified right to access a work on a particular device.”
    Source: http://copyright.gov/1201/2015/comments-032715/class 8/DVDCCA_and_AACS_LA_class08_1201_2014.pdf

Officially, consumers can purchase access rights to movies but only to the purchased format’s specific delivery medium. The industry gives consumers tightly controlled, strings attached access in order to maximize profit. The industry needs to understand that consumers purchase access rights period, none of that "...which affords only the right to..." nonsense.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  11. Yaris

Yaris Well-Known Member

You left out the fact that big name stars demand at least $20 million each which could easily cost over $100 million in salaries alone for the entire cast in occasional productions.

12. PirateLaddo

PirateLaddo Member

They should just go for a percentage of the gross.

13. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

Most times the Big Money Actors get both, a large up-front salary and a percentage.

14. Tha Watcher

Tha Watcher Member

I love you, guys! :D

(Sorry, I didn't know where else to post my childlike, exuberant outburst.)

15. JerEl

JerEl New Member

There are many legitimate reasons in copying a movie to hard drives or memory cards but one seldom mentioned is that some disabled folks who may lack dexterity due to paralysis or some other disability can't handle inserting a disk or maybe watching a movie while in bed on a smaller touch-screen enabled screen like a tablet. I am a long time Vietnam era veteran paraplegic and while my hands and arms work fine I'm limited in the amount of "sit-up" time, after 48 years of being a roller, so I might start or end a film like normal on a computer DVD or TV but then use my Shield tablet for the other part of the movie. So AnyDVD and CloneDVD have really helped me with the different options. I also use the tablet to watch movies while travelling since I 'retired' from driving a couple of years ago and have someone else drive which is quite often because I live quite a way from civilization. I would love for the ABCD outfits to come after me for copying disks...We'd have a swell time in court while I proved they were violating my rights to fair use of their product that able-bodied people can use. Maybe they will reimburse me for the cost of these programs...Yeah, sure.

16. peterbus

peterbus Well-Known Member

I have been an AnydvdHd owner for quite a long time indeed I have 2 licences for 2 machines.
    I have always backed up my DVDs/ Blu-rays to full ISO/ Mkv and now thanks to AnyDVD UHD.
    I have no intention of pirating my discs , just to have a library of my Uhd discs is amazing.
    If your using your Pc to play Uhd discs have a look at this device , plays Uhd from Hdd.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/xtr...i910bmkddnGvaWRDhx_8lfK7-JdrTJvkaArBOEALw_wcB
    Or here
    http://hdland.fr/en/modeles-d-exposition/3383-zappiti-player-4k-occasion.html
    Both excellent .
    Thanks again for your fine work.