• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A few thoughts about piracy

Greed has no limit, I don't know if anyone remembers few years ago they try to pass a bill that prohibits anyone from selling any personal goods previously purchased, So when you don't need it anymore it belongs to the garbage can, you can't even donate it, Thankfully ebay, amazon and other online used items stores stood against the bill and I guess it didn't even make it to the vote.

L
An illustration of "unplayability" brought right up to date in this blu-ray.com article http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18524 illustrating the (in)compatibility issues as the reviewer attempts to watch/review 4K UHD disks. Note that all the equipment was supposed to be HDMI 2.0a and HDCP2.2 compatible.

6832.jpg
LOL....... I just bought a splitter for my setup to prevent this message. 4k .....like I said in hardware forums they are taking fury to court over adapters that strip this. They want to protect blurays fine but now want us to fork out $$$$ for a new TV, amp and player. I laugh at this. When I buy a 4k TV I'll use a splitter to use powerdvd ( which supports 4k) to watch and use my old amp to listen to the 5.1

Funny article!

Watch them do this for car stereos. Try to insert a USB music or burned disk and your car says does not meet 2.2 compliance. That's were this is going folks.......

2.2 compliant coffee machine
2.2 compliant microwave

2.2 compliant microwave
I don't know about microwave but coffee machine is real, If you insert an older k-cup or another brand coffee cup that is not licensed by Keurig 2.0 it will not brew and gives a similar message on the coffee machine display, They recently realized it didn't work because hacks where wide spread on youtube they released their own version of k-cup for $14 to use with the machine using your own coffee.
The same with printers, To avoid buying their ridiculously small and overpriced ink cartridges you have to either buy a fillable containers with hacked chip on them or buy a chip reseter to refill the stock ones.

Torrenting and piracy created a culture of "for free" which really took a generation the wrong way in my opinion.
The other driver has been the google/ facebook business model by which many people lost the connection between service and payment.
For free doesnt exist and people who work deserve payment. The music industry suffered first and isnow in the lead in solving the issues.
I really would love here to be part of a community that is supporting the film business, ironic though that may seem to the various 'spies' no doubt trawling these newsgroups.

I don't know about microwave but coffee machine is real, If you insert an older k-cup or another brand coffee cup that is not licensed by Keurig 2.0 it will not brew and gives a similar message on the coffee machine display, They recently realized it didn't work because hacks where wide spread on youtube they released their own version of k-cup for $14 to use with the machine using your own coffee.
The same with printers, To avoid buying their ridiculously small and overpriced ink cartridges you have to either buy a fillable containers with hacked chip on them or buy a chip reseter to refill the stock ones.
This is pathetic

Torrenting and piracy created a culture of "for free" which really took a generation the wrong way in my opinion.
The other driver has been the google/ facebook business model by which many people lost the connection between service and payment.
For free doesnt exist and people who work deserve payment. The music industry suffered first and isnow in the lead in solving the issues.
I really would love here to be part of a community that is supporting the film business, ironic though that may seem to the various 'spies' no doubt trawling these newsgroups.

The problem isn't with paying for things IMO. The problem is with greed. Why allow the consumer to pay once and "own" the product when you can control the consumption completely? Every time they watch it, boom, $$$$. That's what they're going for. Streaming works as much now, only the "cost" is hidden to the consumer....for now. The music industry got a very big lesson in "suing your consumers does not lead to more profits". When the majority of your consumers are "pirating" your product, it's a sign that your distribution model is broken. Had they reacted sooner rather than trying to legislate and litigate a dinosaur of a business model, they might have stemmed the tide of the "free generation". But their arrogance and greed blinded them to the reality that they had to change until it was too late. It's a good thing we're not repeating that same mistake in video. Oh wait....

The problem isn't with paying for things IMO. The problem is with greed. Why allow the consumer to pay once and "own" the product when you can control the consumption completely? Every time they watch it, boom, $$$$. That's what they're going for. Streaming works as much now, only the "cost" is hidden to the consumer....for now. The music industry got a very big lesson in "suing your consumers does not lead to more profits". When the majority of your consumers are "pirating" your product, it's a sign that your distribution model is broken. Had they reacted sooner rather than trying to legislate and litigate a dinosaur of a business model, they might have stemmed the tide of the "free generation". But their arrogance and greed blinded them to the reality that they had to change until it was too late. It's a good thing we're not repeating that same mistake in video. Oh wait....
I dont think what you say there contradicts what I wrote. Rather you bring another and new issue in play. It's not only about, Do you "own" your film or are you really "renting" it?
Look at Amazon and kindle. They not only can switch your book off whenever they want. More significantly, they collect all the information they can - what you read, how much you read, what words you needed to look up in a dictionary, your annotations, your bookmarks... In 10 years time, that will be films too.

PS sorry digrssing a bit there, I'll stop now!

L

LOL....... I just bought a splitter for my setup to prevent this message. 4k .....like I said in hardware forums they are taking fury to court over adapters that strip this. They want to protect blurays fine but now want us to fork out $$$$ for a new TV, amp and player. I laugh at this. When I buy a 4k TV I'll use a splitter to use powerdvd ( which supports 4k) to watch and use my old amp to listen to the 5.1

Funny article!

Watch them do this for car stereos. Try to insert a USB music or burned disk and your car says does not meet 2.2 compliance. That's were this is going folks.......

2.2 compliant microwave

Without delving into politics I think the current (and future) political climate is such that large corporations get their way more and more while the consumer's voice gets more and more faint. This really runs counter to capitalism where the consumer voice is supposed to be strong and is a market force. I think you already have cases of companies (IE Apple watch) creating markets for products instead of creating products for markets. It's almost already to the point where you are told what you should buy and if you don't like it to bad. However that (to me anyway) seems to be a failing model however they are still trying it.

I agree pay people for their ideas and hard work. But don't tell me if I can drive my car on this road and not that Use my own ink or a companies ink, the Blu-ray hardware player or that one. This is boarding against your bill of rights slowely chipping away at everything you do in life. It's all about control. Look at cars. The government wants to charge you to drive! Thank God it's not law. All about the environment to take away our freedoms and rights. This all goes back to what I can play on the TV I PAYED FOR. The BLURAY HARDWARE Player I PAYED FOR. The movie I PAYED FOR, and so on.... This is where I stand on this issue. No one tells me what to do. As long as do not steal murder and work for my living the government can stay the f$#@ out of my business and the inside of my home.

Actually "they" did not adapt their business model. It was Apple who changed the game with iTuens. Although I hate that company we have to admit that if it wasn't for Apple they would still sell DRM protected music. So they where actually forced to change their minds by another money greedy company (kind of ironic).

As much as it concerns piracy: That's business risk of a record/ movie company. If you decide to sell movies or music you also decide to accept the fact that there will be piracy. I'm certainly not in favor of it but that's how it has always worked. If you open a shop you'll have to deal with shop lifting, if you are into the credit business you'll have to deal with clients that end up in bankruptcy and cannot repay the credit...

It's definitely not Slysofts fault. If it was them how come it is still legal in most western countries to manufacture and sell guns? If Slysoft was responsible for piracy than every manufacturer of guns and every store that sells guns would be responsible for all the people killed with those guns. And what about the car manufacturers and illegal street racing? What about computer manufactures and hacked bank accounts? Cell phones and traffic accidents because of texting and driving? Beer brewers and the damage done by alcoholism? The list could go on forever and most consequences of abuse of certain products that could be listed here are far worse than record companies losing money because of illegal copies. Yet nobody holds gun manufacturers liable for all the people killed by manics with guns. Most things can be used for good or evil. But software developers like Slysoft should be responsible for illegal copies just because they provide the tool to make copies (once again for good and for evil)? That's just plain wrong.

People are still sneaking video recoding equipment into theaters to stream new movies on those sites. No one's going to stop this. I like to take the kids to a movie and munch on buttery popcorn. Hmmmmmm even though is costs a car payment.

But software developers like Slysoft should be responsible for illegal copies just because they provide the tool to make copies (once again for good and for evil)? That's just plain wrong.

Sounds like your blaming Slysoft......

Sounds like your blaming Slysoft......
I guess the OP meant that blaming SlySoft for providing tools is not fair, especially in comparison to guns (which are generally tools too)

Very well said, Peer!
Have the platform go dead and your "owned" movies are just as gone.
Good point. But AnyDVD has a similar problem, as we have witnessed with SlySoft vanishing. Without the server infrastructure it isn't so useful anymore.

To prevent this from happening again, we should find a way to make the OPD is available offline. This isn't as easy as it sounds.
First, all data - including Java based protections - must be cached locally.
The OPD is a "moving target". Publish monthly snapshots? Weekly? Daily?
Add time stamps to the database entries, so people with expired licenses can't use new discs?

We don't need to implement this right away - as there are some more urgent matters - but we should keep it on our todo list.

Here's an idea for the OPD @James perhaps make it downloadable through a memberlike system. Where the user can login using his/her license credentials and download the latest version up to the point of logging in. If the user has an expired license, only the last snapshot up until license expiration would be available.

For easy "installation", an installer that installs into the Anydvd program files folder?

Here's an idea for the OPD @James perhaps make it downloadable through a memberlike system. Where the user can login using his/her license credentials and download the latest version up to the point of logging in. If the user has an expired license, only the last snapshot up until license expiration would be available.
No, the file(s) should be freely available. Even if the "memberlike" system ceases to exist.
But we'll find a nice solution.

Question: I thought that all the OPD updates were always incorporated into the latest builds of AnyDVD (HD) already. Or was this just AACS keys, and not BD+, Screenpass, Java, etc.?

Back