• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A few 4k (UHD) disc ripping issues...

BluRay444

I finished ripping my small (54) UHD disc collection (with Asus BW-16D1HT) using AnyDVD image ripper.
Almost all discs had no problems creating an ISO, ripping time was pretty predictable based on image size within 5 minutes or so.

However, I did have problems with these discs:

Red 2: Took a very long time for AnyDVD to scan the disc, like 5x or more the normal scanning time... then it took even longer with the drive indicator blinking fast (reading the disc) until I finally terminated the rip. On the 5th try, it finally popped up the AnyDVD dialogue window, and I was able to start ripping. Initial time remaining was 2 hours 40 minutes (normally should be about an hour or less for a disc of this size- 88,908,736KB). Ripping speed 6.5-8.9 MB/s (normally discs start in the low teens and ramp up to 18 or more MB/s). 1 hour 33 minutes left in this rip before I can test the ISO.

Blackhawk Down: read in and processed 11%, then, "Error reading from drive S:! - Read Error Sectors: 5050110-5050139" I tried ripping it 4 times, same error, same place, unless someone else has another explanation, I'm attributing it to a faulty disc, the disc surface looks very good under a magnifying glass although this disc is stacked on top of another in the case and there are a couple of extremely faint and short marks concentric with the hub- it's hard for me to believe this is the cause of the problem; still covered for free exchange at Amazon, so it's going back.

Clear and Present Danger: This disc completed ripping to ISO without complaint, however it took 2x as long as every other disc I have with approximately the same ISO size. I haven't watched the full ISO yet to see if there are any issues. This disc is part of the 5-disc Jack Ryan Collection.

Gladiator: I started this before going to bed, next morning I found maybe 50-60 error message boxes overlaying each other, so I couldn't read what they said. I re-ripped again, experienced no errors this time. My system is on a UPS, so I don't suspect any issue with power glitch during the night. Haven't yet reviewed the completed ISO.

The Martian (not the Extended version): Couldn't rip this because a small spot of the clear layer over the laser side of the disc has de-laminated and I don't want to risk damage to my Asus drive. This disc was never played.

If you have had any issue similar or same issues like this, please advise...

jk

It's interesting that Red 2 started low at about 6.5MB/s, ramped up to 8.9MB/s towards the middle, then back down about 6.5MB/s towards the end... not slow in spots because of errors, but a bell-curve like I've seen with with most if not all of my 'normal' UHD disc rips except less than half as fast. The Red 2 UHD disc itself plays fine in my Oppo UHD-203, and the Red 2 ISO, which I haven't finished watching, has been playing flawlessly (albeit without DolbyVision) so far, and the Dolby Atmos track sounds fantastic. What are your thoughts on this? Is having a constant rate of data errors throughout the entire disc really a thing?

The ASUS drive is what we like to call "touchy" with some discs. I've been re-ripping all of my ATMOS UHD's now that CloneBD is fixed and discs that I was able to read with the ASUS drive last summer wouldn't read. I make it a habit of microfiber cleaning them every time they come out of the case which for UHD you really need to do. I threw the discs in my LG NS60 (not a friendly drive so no workie with AnyDVD) and I was able to read them just fine. And that's a common experience and why I have 2 different drives.

Microfiber is also part of my daily regimen; the first thing that happens to a disc the first time it comes out of the box is a careful cleaning under a magnifier, the into the drive. Some of them are pristine coming out of the box, but most have at least a few dust specks, but all discs are dust-free when they go in the drive.
I think I had 3 discs out of 52 or 53 that took 2x or more the expected time to create ISOs from, and all of those ISOs played flawlessly. I have 2 other Asus drives of the same model and firmware, so next time I get a slow rip I'll pop them into a different drive and see what happens. The only other disc I had that was troublesome was Black Hawk Down; even though the surface was flawless and very clean it choked on a group of sectors. Got the replacement from Amazon yesterday and it ripped fast and perfectly, so... defective disc manufacture.

Microfiber is also part of my daily regimen; the first thing that happens to a disc the first time it comes out of the box is a careful cleaning under a magnifier, the into the drive. Some of them are pristine coming out of the box, but most have at least a few dust specks, but all discs are dust-free when they go in the drive.
I think I had 3 discs out of 52 or 53 that took 2x or more the expected time to create ISOs from, and all of those ISOs played flawlessly. I have 2 other Asus drives of the same model and firmware, so next time I get a slow rip I'll pop them into a different drive and see what happens. The only other disc I had that was troublesome was Black Hawk Down; even though the surface was flawless and very clean it choked on a group of sectors. Got the replacement from Amazon yesterday and it ripped fast and perfectly, so... defective disc manufacture.

I've run into this a lot with UHD, having a disc straight out of the package, minty-clean and factory fresh, checking it in the UHD player, it plays perfectly fine. Then ripping and it either completely chokes (with read errors) or slows down to a crawl and takes 2,3,4... hours to complete.

I've got 3 UHD drives of different make/models and I find when one has this trouble with a disc, they all do.

I have found one though that is my workhorse 'cause it can usually plow through and complete an .iso for troublesome discs -- eventually.

I'm always skeptical though of whether the .iso's will be fully-functional. So, I usually get a replacement disc and without fail the replacement rips normally!

So, yeah, defective disc manufacture. I've seen this some on normal Blu-Rays but nowhere near the frequency I run across it for UHD.

BTW, I remember way back-when being warned to not clean discs with microfiber because they can cause micro-abrasions.

I guess by now they make them specifically for disc-cleaning.

T

Thanks for that feedback testiles, I think I'll try replacing one of the problematic discs and see what happens... Also, I believe one of them may have been physically damaged (Black Hawk Down) due to the way it was packaged- 3 discs in a box that had 2 hubs in it, and the 4k disc was stacked on top of a 'bonus' disc (the discs were in physical contact with each other), and I noted a couple of very light, short concentric scratches (maybe 1/8") on the 4k disc. I theorize that maybe a very small bit of grit got in-between the 2, and the top disc got rotated slightly during installation or shipping. That one failed to read the same group of sectors consistently; fortunately, it was newly purchased and Amazon replaced it quickly. Looking at the disc initially, the scratch was so light and short, I had my doubts that was the cause, but I've since change my mind.
I'm kind of disappointed that disc manufacturers don't seem to be using the same clean-room care that they used to... the majority of new discs I receive now have some varying amounts of dust particles on them, very few are particle-free. I've also found fine squiggles of what appears to be light grease around the hub of one disc, not a smear but a distinct line; don't know what to make of that, I cleaned it off thoroughly but it left a mark on the disc- fortunately it was close to the hub so no data was affected. I've also noticed that some of the discs that I've cleaned and stored for a while have a slight 'fog', often in a shape that corresponds to the a cut-out in the disc box that has a label behind it, and I thing some out-gassing of the ink or something else inside the box is occurring. It wipes right off with a microfiber cloth, but I wonder what the long-term effects of this might be.

Microfiber cloths vary a lot, from the ones with a fuzzy nap I use to polish my car to the ones that are made for cleaning computer screens, expensive lenses and jewelry. I don't think that any of the later pose any danger to disc surfaces so long as you don't use them for other purposes that might contaminate them, keep them in a plastic bag to avoid contamination from settling dust in the room, don't re-use them if you suspect they might have been exposed to any contamination that might be abrasive, and replace them periodically.

I've heard that you shouldn't use paper towels to clean your eye glasses because they use recycled paper in manufacture that has contaminants that could cause micro-abrasions. I asked my optician who I know to be very knowledgeable about this and he told me that the coatings that are used on lenses these days are so hard that this doesn't happen anymore. Warnings like this are often based in fact from earlier times but have not kept current with the times.

I think I'll try replacing one of the problematic discs and see what happens...

Cool.

Let us know.

I'm kind of disappointed that disc manufacturers don't seem to be using the same clean-room care that they used to...

I am too. But not so much for clean-room care as quality control. Where is that?

Lately I've been getting discs that look like they have small chips on the very outside periphery of the disc.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to affect play, but still. Dude.

... Warnings like this are often based in fact from earlier times but have not kept current with the times.

Agreed.

Wait, you mean you can use paper towels on eyeglasses now? (lol)

No, it's good that technology moves ever forward.

T

I use paper towels on my glasses. :D And I reuse my microfiber cloth on my discs, too. I've been using the same one for well over a year. I've never seen it scratch the discs or cause anything but good things. Periodically I'll grab a new one out of the box but that's only when I can visibly see dirt on the microfiber cloth.

Mine never really get visibly dirty, but reach a point of diminishing returns, that is, when a gentle but firm wipe removes 10 dust particles of dust but leaves 2 or 3 more that were imbedded in the cloth's nap.

I don't even clean any of my discs. All my titles ripped without cleaning. I do have three Asus drives for ripping my UHD BDs. And a few times I have had a title have issues with a drive. So I just put it in one of my other drives and it rips fine. So it's been much easier than having to clean a couple hundred discs. But even when I ripped 2K BDs it was the same thing. Although I had several times as many of those drives for ripping. But if there were issues in one drive, moving it to another worked fine. No cleaning of the disc needed.

Yes I have an NS60 for that purpose. When the ASUS says "no thank you" I just put it in the NS60, rip the disc to folder with MakeMKV (AnyDVD doth not support my official drive), and then CloneBD it up as needed.

So which drive is a better workhorse when ripping uhd discs
The LG NS60?

The LG NS60?

As SamuriHL mentioned, the NS60 is not supported by AnyDVD, unless the firmware is cross-flashed to a "friendly" drive. BUT THIS DEFEATS THE PURPOSE of the NS60.

Right, there's no sense spending money on an official drive when you're just going to flash it to something else anyway. An NS55 or an ASUS BW-16D1HT would be much better investments if you're looking to go friendly.

As SamuriHL mentioned, the NS60 is not supported by AnyDVD, unless the firmware is cross-flashed to a "friendly" drive. BUT THIS DEFEATS THE PURPOSE of the NS60.

I guess that's true in a way.

But I bought the NS60 so as soon as AnyDVD supports official drives I'm already set.

True, right now it's flashed to non-official firmware, but Day One when AnyDVD offers official UHD support, I'll flash back to official firmware and be good-to-go!

And, should AnyDVD never support official drives, I still have the option to revert the drive to original firmware and use it as an official drive with other software.

So, covered either way.

The LG NS60?

The drive I referred to as being my workhorse in terms of (eventually) ripping nearly everything I throw at it is suprisingly my oldest drive, an LG BE6NU50.

I wouldn't have anticipated that but it's played out that way time after time.

T

Yup.... I will stick to the Asus with 3.02 fw
BTW, slight OT..... Can the drive rip SACDs?

Last edited:
Back