• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

50GB Rewriteable BD Disc playback using AnyDVD HD and Imgburn?

hlkc

Goal: Want to play lossless format BD from standalone BD player now until hardware and software compatible later this year.

Idea: I guess I am not patience to wait until PDVD8.5 to be able to output true lossless format. I am thinking to get a BD writer and start to write the BD to a 50GB rewriteable BD disc, something like this, and watching it using a standalone BD player via HDMI 1.3 to lossless format receiver.

Questions:
1) Anyone reading this post that successfully using AnyDVD HD and ImgBurn to write a lossless BD title to a disk and play back from a standalone player?

2) If so, can you post your brand of the burner and brand of the media disc?

3) How many times do you think one of those rewriteable disc can write and erase and rewrite again?

Thank you.

Currently cost of BD-50 is about the same as new movie disc. You may want new disc.

Also looking at your hardware profile you don't have BD writer either.

Last but not least I am not sure even if there are BD-50 Rewriteable ones.

I'm using a Sony writer and the LG writer and Panasonic 50GB BD-RE's (yes they are available and have been for about 8 months). It's real easy to do, just have AnydvdHD running in the back ground and you can do a disc to disc copy in Imgburn or make an ISO file to the harddrive and burn that back to the disc

no problem

I have an LG ggw-h20l blu ray burner and i succesfully write several times a single layer bd-re verbatim and 3 times a Panasonic bd-re 50 gb successfully watched in my ps3. i dont know id 50 gb disk make problem in standalone player but i think it's work.
for a 25 gb disk you can rip your movie and take only one audio track the result are good and with the best quality this way works witl 90% of the movie but if you want a total copy of your disk you can simply rip the content and burning in a 50 gb bd-re using imageburn. with PS3 i have problem burning with nero8

Last edited:
Currently cost of BD-50 is about the same as new movie disc. You may want new disc.

Also looking at your hardware profile you don't have BD writer either.

Last but not least I am not sure even if there are BD-50 Rewriteable ones.
Understood the cost but this will be a short term work around until end of the year. Yes, my current one is only reader and need to get a burner. See my original post, I already have a sample of rewritable 50GB BD media.

I'm using a Sony writer and the LG writer and Panasonic 50GB BD-RE's (yes they are available and have been for about 8 months). It's real easy to do, just have AnydvdHD running in the back ground and you can do a disc to disc copy in Imgburn or make an ISO file to the harddrive and burn that back to the disc
Thank you for your confirmation. Do you have one of those TrueHD receiver? How do you like it? I just want to confirm that before go out to get a burner and standalone player for this short term project.

I have an LG ggw-20h blu ray burner and i succesfully write several times a single layer bd-re verbatim and 3 times a Panasonic bd-re 50 gb successfully watched in my ps3. i dont know id 50 gb disk make problem in standalone player but i think it's work.
for a 25 gb disk you can rip your movie and take only one audio track the result are good and with the best quality this way works witl 90% of the movie but if you want a total copy of your disk you can simply rip the content and burning in a 50 gb bd-re using imageburn. with PS3 i have problem burning with nero8
Thank you. I probably will end up backing up 1 to 1 and make sure all the contents there and able to enjoy all the loseless audio format today. Yes, my concern is 50GB BD-RE as you indicated. I hope I can able get the info here and go out get excatly the same thing.

Last edited:
You do not need your receiver to support TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or any other nifty standard to get lossless audio over HDMI. In fact, you probably DON'T want to have the receiver decoding those things as you will lose certain functionality. The only way to get TrueHD or DTS HD MA to your receiver is through a bitstream. The bitstream is unmolested by the player. Well, ****, SamuriHL, isn't that exactly what I want?! No, actually, it's not. :) With bitstreaming, there's no possibility of mixing audio together, for things such as BD Live special features. You get 1 audio track via bitstreaming. Uno. Just the one. You send the bitstream to the receiver, it decodes it into, you guessed it, LPCM. So, what's...the better way? Let the player decode it to LPCM, mix in all the goodies you want, and send that down the HDMI pipe to the receiver, who then just simply plays it. Still lossless, no difference in sound (unless you got some 3k USD + receiver that knows how to rock the neighborhood for decoding, in which case, ok, maybe), and you get all the extras. Lossless means different things to different people. It does NOT mean solely bitstreaming compressed formats to me.

Hi SamuriHL,

Let me share with you my thinking here. There will be a point that either the player or receiver to do this job. As you indicated **** is what most people used here but it is not the best in the world. As far as I can tell, they probably won't able to come out a player that not downmix anytime soon. Therefore, my idea of this project is after I back up all my BD in ISO to my HDD, I can use the BD-RE disk as a device to play that from a REAL standalone player. In that case, I can play around with LPCM, bit stream or receiver decode to see what will be the best way to enjoy the nifty standard. At the end of the day, I don't have to worry/wait **** put their act together and they can take forever they want and I will able to watch and listen all the nifty standard in the mean time.

I really value your input and feel free to let me know what you think.

No, I totally get what you're trying to do. I'm saying from the stand alone player, you want to have IT decode the audio and drive LPCM down the HDMI cable to your receiver. You were asking about whether someone's receiver supported TrueHD. My point was, it doesn't matter if it does or doesn't as long as it can accept LPCM through HDMI. The reason I made this distinction is because there are some cheaper, newer Onkyo receivers out there that don't support decoding TrueHD and DTS HD MA, but, are perfect for, say, a PS3 because the decoding can be done there anyway.

So, forget the HTPC world for now. They'll catch up with what you want to do. I'm trying to help you in your stand alone world. Don't forget I have both. :) I had a PS3 long before my HTPC. And while I don't have an HDMI enabled receiver, I have done the research on what the best concepts are on it. A receiver with HD audio decoding is mostly a waste IMO. You really do want to spend the bucks on a good player that can decode properly and mix audio into an LPCM stream without screwing anything up. LPCM is ultimately what those formats get decoded to anyway. In theory there's no difference in quality between the receiver decoding them and the player decoding them. Note we're talking stand alone players here. PowerDVD is known to downsample so that's not a fair comparison.

I have an LG ggw-20h blu ray burner and i succesfully write several times a single layer bd-re verbatim and 3 times a Panasonic bd-re 50 gb successfully watched in my ps3. i dont know id 50 gb disk make problem in standalone player but i think it's work.

Interesting,

I have the LG ggw-20hl and this burner with a Panasonic BD-RE 50GB have problems, when must write on the second layer an error is returned ( I use Nero 8 ).

No problem with the Verbatim 25GB.

I have already upgraded it to the last firmware YL03 without result.

Any idea ?

Marco

Could try using Imgburn instead, I have tried using both and they both write to my Panasonic BD-RE DL discs

Could try using Imgburn instead, I have tried using both and they both write to my Panasonic BD-RE DL discs

I about to ask the same question since I have very good luck with Imgburn.

could someone give me a step by step of how to burn with imgburn and still obtain all menus and options as original. I could do this with nero but as i mentioned in another thread it skips or freezes

-Select read mode
-Create image on hard drive
-Insert blank disc
-Select write mode
-Write the image to blank disc

Um, enjoy? :)

i not try to write panasonic bd re 50 gb with nero because the work on bd 25 gb don't work on my ps3 try imageburn. i have latest firmware yl03 the only bad thing is the write speed. only 1X:doh:
Anyway this is the bd id maybe yours is different
BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: MEI-T01-01
Disc Type: BD-RE

Last edited:
i not try to write panasonic bd re 50 gb with nero because the work on bd 25 gb don't work on my ps3 try imageburn. i have latest firmware yl03 the only bad thing is the write speed. only 1X:doh:
Anyway this is the bd id maybe yours is different
BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: MEI-T01-01
Disc Type: BD-RE

I have the same your firmware rev., but the write speed with the Panasonic BD-RE 50GB. in Nero is locked to 2X, I don't know if this is the problem .... :confused:

Marco

I've been using Nero with Panasonic 50GB BD-RE for about a year and have no problems with playback on a PS3. Nero always states it's writing at 2 speed, but if you go in and tick the box that tells it to tell you the actual speed it's writing at it rarely goes above 1.25x. In Imgburn you can tell it to right faster, but I have found that on DL BD-RE's it nearly always fails verification

Back