• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

4K ULTRA HD - BD-25 - BD-50

Upon system post only 1 monitor will initially show video. Doesn't really matter which one you pick. That's the one you set as 'primary display', when the desktop loads both monitors will become active. Fully normal. You can hook up the 4k tv to the iGPU to enable uhd playback, and your normal display to the GTX and things will work just fine. You'll just have to specify in Powerdvd to use that specific monitor (hooked up to the iGPU) for playback.

Now, even being able to do that in the bios might be hard. DELL / HP are known for severely locking down the BIOS setting. They don't really want you in there, let alone modifying anything. If you weren't located so far I'd come and do it.

That's all there is to it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk
Just run Powerdvd and drag to the window to the TV. Much easier.

Upon system post only 1 monitor will initially show video. Doesn't really matter which one you pick. That's the one you set as 'primary display', when the desktop loads both monitors will become active. Fully normal. You can hook up the 4k tv to the iGPU to enable uhd playback, and your normal display to the GTX and things will work just fine. You'll just have to specify in Powerdvd to use that specific monitor (hooked up to the iGPU) for playback.

Now, this is more what I was hoping for.

You know, since I really only want to use Intel Graphics to play PDVD, maybe I could go into BIOS and just set Multi Monitor Mode on, but keep the primary display as-is (nVidia).

The added benefit of that is, if the Intel Graphics ports don't work, I can still "see" on the monitor because that's connected to the 1070.

So then, I'd just reboot and hook the TV up to the Intel Graphics port and I should be good.

Right?

Now, even being able to do that in the bios might be hard. DELL / HP are known for severely locking down the BIOS setting. They don't really want you in there, let alone modifying anything. If you weren't located so far I'd come and do it.

Wow, I sure appreciate that Ch3vron. But yeah, I'm probably a very long way from you. In New York, USA.

As soon as I finish backing up this week's group of new titles, I plan on browsing the BIOS on the new Desktop and see what I can see.

Just gotta look for a Multi Monitor setting.

If I can't find it, maybe I'll post a couple of screenshots.

Just run Powerdvd and drag to the window to the TV. Much easier.

Since the monitor and the TV are on two separate Graphics processors, that may not be possible.

Yeah, it's certainly easier if it is.

When it's all set up, I'll give that a try.

Thanks Marty.

T

So, I attempted to browse BIOS and find the monitor or graphic settings.

First lesson, don't go into BIOS with a Bluetooth keyboard. Looks like Bluetooth is not enabled at that point of startup. Keyboard is useless.

Had to find the cheap-o USB keyboard that came with the Desktop...

Second lesson. HP must have control issues.

@Ch3vr0n you were so right about them. No matter what entrance I took, an HP Setup Utility always initiated instead of a true BIOS utility.

I tried the UEFI route, I tried hitting F10 on reboot (and several other F keys). HP's version of the BIOS Utility always intercepts.

You can make certain BIOS changes on the HP Utility but nothing concerning graphics or monitors.

Here's the things you can change there:

Time and Date
Restore Factory Settings
Hard Disk and CD-ROM configuration
SATA Emulation (under Storage Options)
Boot Order
Password Management
Device Security
USB Security
Slot Security
Network Boot
System IDs
System Security
Secure Boot Configuration
OS Power Management
Hardware Power Management
Thermal - Fan RPMs
Power-On Options (This looked promising but only offers POST Messages disable, After Power Loss, Wake on LAN Power-On password, etc)
BIOS Power-On ( a list of days)
Device Options (Num Lock on Power-On, Multi-Processor enable, Hyper-Threading enable, NIC PXE Option ROM download)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Optane Volume)

That's it.

Don't know where to proceed from here.

I think I'm SOOL!

T

Which exact keys did you try to get into the BIOS, and what's that thing's model number. On the other hand there is a way to into the BIOS from within windows itself. No idea if on your system that'll trigger the actual bios or that setup utility.

Press the windows key + i (that'll open settings) > updates and security > system recovery > advanced startup options > restart now
Then go to troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI BIOS settings or something (if they didn't mess with that too, it should boot straight into the bios)

If that doesn't work, i'll need you to 1) check for an "Advanced" or "Advanced Settings" option or something or 2) Go into every single bios menu > write each sub entry down and their possible values or take lots of images.

there is a way to into the BIOS from within windows itself.
Press the windows key + i (that'll open settings) > updates and security > system recovery > advanced startup options > restart now
Then go to troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI BIOS settings or something (if they didn't mess with that too, it should boot straight into the bios)

That's the UEFI method I mentioned above.

Goes straight to the HP Setup version of the BIOS Utility. Just like all other methods.

Which exact keys did you try to get into the BIOS

The correct key for HP computers is F10. So I restarted and hit that continuously. Brings up a menu with a choice of BIOS Update. Picking that choice takes you to HP Setup Utility.

Other F keys do the same thing or don't do anything. Tried F1, F2, F8, F10, F12 and ESC just for the hell of it.

1)... check for an "Advanced" or "Advanced Settings" option or something or 2) Go into every single bios menu > write each sub entry down and their possible values or take lots of images.

That's exactly what I did above.

There are several tabs on the HP Utility. I went to each one and wrote down every option available in the previous post.

Do you want me to add more info so the hierarchy is more obvious? Or add something else? Maybe pics?

what's that thing's model number

HP Omen 880-110:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05813246

T

I'll see if I can contact a friend of mine in the US with 17y of exp if he knows any other ways of getting into the bios. But by the looks of it and what I can find on Google, you're pretty much screwed. Seems they've severely locked down the bios as I've feared and there will be no way to modify that GPU behavior. In the meantime contact hp.

As to the F keys, you tried all the ones I'd ask so that's out too. Pics might help a little.

Where exactly (state wise) are you located in the US? How far from Glendale, AZ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I'll see if I can contact a friend of mine in the US with 17y of exp if he knows any other ways of getting into the bios. But by the looks of it and what I can find on Google, you're pretty much screwed.

Ok.

But yeah, that's what I figured.

In the meantime contact hp.

Funny, that's exactly what I decided I should do as well.

Have to tell you I have not had good experiences with HP Support though. I keep buying them because their computers are pretty solid, therefore I seldom have to deal with their support.

If I can get past the almost insurmountable task of getting them to understand what I'm trying to do and why (because they will most certainly want to know why), if I can get past that, then I still have to hope I get a tech willing to invest a little brain power to help solve an unusual problem.

And not this guy ... "Ok, first, do you have the desktop plugged in?" (lol).

I'll give it a shot and hope for the best...

As to the F keys, you tried all the ones I'd ask so that's out too.

Ok, then.

I plan on going another few rounds with both F key and UEFI entry, just to make SURE I didn't miss anything before bothering with HP.

Where exactly (state wise) are you located in the US? How far from Glendale, AZ?

I see where you may be headed there and appreciate it but no. I'm on the other side of the country, probably about 2500 miles away.

So, today, Round 15.

Never hurts to try again.

T

Well that guy i'm talking about does take "mail-ins" ;) Ya could ship it to him :)

Well that guy i'm talking about does take "mail-ins" ;) Ya could ship it to him :)

You think he might be able to force the BIOS door open and make the setting?

What would his fee likely be for that?

T

Can't guarantee that, but he sure has plenty experience. But that's a conversation not fit for this board. Wouldn't want him to "get into trouble" by being linked here. I'll pull your email from your profile, and send you a message via e-mail later

@Ch3vr0n

I ran across a menu to "Select Boot device".

It gave these options:

- UEFI Boot Source

- OS Boot Manager

- Windows Boot Manager (Intel Data_Volume)

- Legacy Boot Sources

I though maybe if I could go to Legacy Boot Sources, it might somehow allow me to get to a real (legacy) BIOS Utility.

But somewhere in the process I did something wrong and all I got when starting the computer was a blank screen! Repeatedly!

I managed to get back to (what I think is) normal operations, but I think I should stop poking around in areas of the computer I don't fully understand.

<wiping sweat from brow>

So, on to my last resort of contacting HP.

If that doesn't work, I'm done.

T

Try the uefi boot source, with a little luck you can get to the rest of the settings that way

Try the uefi boot source, with a little luck you can get to the rest of the settings that way

Ok, I'll try it.

Just hoping not to mis-step and have the computer go off into Never Never Land again...

T

As long as you don't press F10 (usual default for save settings & exit) and you didn't modify anything (just opening and closing a dropdown box for example doesn't modify a setting) that you don't want to. You should be fine.

As long as you don't press F10 (usual default for save settings & exit) and you didn't modify anything (just opening and closing a dropdown box for example doesn't modify a setting) that you don't want to. You should be fine.

Can you explain to me what I'm actually doing when I "set a boot device".

And what the outcome of selecting UEFI boot source, or legacy boot source for that matter, should be?

T

Don't touch that setting itself, it tells the bios which drive to boot the OS from. Technically even if you do, the boot manager should be smart to boot from the only device it can. Do NOT change it from UEFI to "legacy" boot unless you know what you're doing. You will cause a BSOD and will have to boot into safe mode to fix it. If it's in UEFI, leave it. If it's in legacy, change it to UEFI, boot into safe mode, then just reboot.

If you can't get from the UEFI Boot manager into the other settings, then you're pretty much screwed and you'll have to go contact HP. But from what i can find, the moment a GPU is installed, they've locked it down to disable the iGPU.

Its precisely stunts like that why i avoid prebuilt systems at all cost. ZERO control over any change you want to make, slim to no upgrade possibilities,...

UEFI Boot Source is one of the options under "Select Boot device".

I thought you were saying to click on that.

Whether that's changing the Boot device setting or whether that's already what it's set to, I don't know.

My guess is that's what it's normally set to and that's what it is right now.

Are you saying to click on UEFI Boot Source or to not touch this setting?

T

... also what to you think selecting OS Boot Manager and Windows Boot Manager for the Boot device does?

T

Nah just clicking on that setting will show you the boot order, the "plan" is to go into the full UEFI menu via that submenu. Don't change the setting itself :) The OS Manager and Boot Manager are pretty much the same. Don't change their values.

Back