• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[ Discussion]4k UHD

Glitch01

Any plans for updating to 4k/UHD recording? Only see 1080 format available. Surprised no one's brought it up in the forums.

No, as 4k has even stricter DRM implementations than 1080p, and it's been brought up numerous times. It's also why the product page explicitly does NOT state support for 4k. The 4k support with HBO is due to a flawed DRM implemenation on THEIR end that AS is taking advantage of. 4k is not (and likely never will be) officially supported.

Not in the foreseeable future, there are only 18 films available on HBO Max that meets those standards, and even then the members would need to have the proper equipment to play them. We have other things in our plans for now. Like I said, maybe in the future. I do believe one of the recent Batman movies is available on AS in 4K.

It has been brought up, but no, this is currently not possible for the same reason D+ is limited to 720p: different DRM and maybe another implementation. There is currently no way to circumwent this. AS can only download 4k on HBO because there is some sort of loophole/ the made something different with their DRM.

Edit: Sorry, when I loaded this site, both of your comments weren't there. Otherwise I wouldn't have written anything since you already answered the question. Or we all just wrote at the same time.

Posted by Deepspace
Edit: Sorry, when I loaded this site, both of your comments wheren't there. Otherwise I wouldn't have written anything since you already answered the question.
No worries your input is just as important as anyone else's.;)

Dune is available 4K, it's the only one I've found worth the space
There are a few, on HBOMax, but as I said, right now we are programming for the needs of the many, not the few. And you are correct many of the 18 that I have seen are not worth spending precious time on, there are things like new providers, which would have been done already had Amazon not thrown a wrench into our schedule.:(

No worries your input is just as important as anyone else's.;)
I know, it's just about the mere fact that I wouldn't have said anything since both of you already said the same.

Luckily we can use AnyDVD and get as many UHD content as we want, no need to look at if the DRM gets cracked or how well they compress the stuff in comparison to the discs. Sure, I would love to see it one day, but it is not really that a big deal.

Dune is available 4K, it's the only one I've found worth the space

HBO Max 4k is pretty trimmed down and loses a good bit of quality vs a disc in my opinion. Not that file size is everything but it can be a way of comparing quality all things being fairly equal. With that said an HBO Max 4k title is somewhere between 25gb-30gb. That is about the size of a lossless quality Blu-ray at 1080p. A typical 4k disc will render a file somewhere between 60gb-90gb if not transcoded down.

My point is yes they offer 4k but I don't consider it good quality.

Kinda an off topic on topic question. I notice on AP that something I plan to rent is in both UHD and HD (and SD). If I rent the UHD version will AS pick it up as downloadable or do I need to stay with the version labeled HD, I'm ok with the $4 but don't want to have to do it twice - thanks @RedFox 1

Kinda an off topic on topic question. I notice on AP that something I plan to rent is in both UHD and HD (and SD). If I rent the UHD version will AS pick it up as downloadable or do I need to stay with the version labeled HD, I'm ok with the $4 but don't want to have to do it twice - thanks @RedFox 1
No, AS will not download the UHD version. Stick with HD.;)

or do I need to stay with the version labeled HD
As RF1 said, AS can only download up to HD. I just want to add that it will not break AS if you (accidentally or because it was the same price as HD) get the UHD version. AS will just not offer you the resolutions that are higher than 1080p.
You can easily test this by yourself by opening a title that has UHD resolution and is free in your sub. AS will open it just fine and give you everything up to 1080p.

The only thing that got mentioned a time ago, if the movie has two different listings and one is UHD, it might be two different encodings or versions, even if you only can download the 1080p version of the UHD listing. It was long ago and there are several topics about UHD, so it would take too long for me to search it now.

Back