• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

4790K - At idle and wide open...

Clams

Does this seem OK to you all?

Asus Maximus VII Formula (Z97) and Hero (Z97), Intel 4790K, 16gb of Corsair Vengeance at 1600mhz. BIOS at all defaults - except to tell them that Memory was to run at 1600mhz.
Cases and Fans and Nvidia Cards - Identical
Nothing overclocked. Video preview shut off.

4790K's At Idle, nothing running.
Speed: Form: 800mhz - Hero: 800mhz
Core V: Form: 0.700v - Hero: 0.749
Core T: Form: 34 C- Hero: 38 C

4790K's Transcoding HD to HD - (full throttle):
Speed: Form: 4397mhz - Hero: 4397mhz
Core V: Form: 1.239v - Hero: 1.261v
Core T: Form: 85 C - Hero: 88 C

-W

PS: The reason I transcoded HD to HD - is that the Optical I/O speed didn't act as a "throttle" on the CPU I/O for testing purposes. (and is what happens after a "FoxRip" as SOP)

Last edited:
34 idle & 85 load is nothing extreme

Thanks- I just added the VII Hero data... all still look OK?
Corsair SPEC-O1 cases. Two 140's blowing in, two 120s blowing out. (stock Intel CPU fans)
Only thing I notice is that the Hero seems to put a bit more voltage to the CPU - resulting in slightly higher temps.

Last edited:
Looks perfectly fine, ya have to remember, using the CPU's gpu part for encoding also generates heat. and the CPU will shut itself down for cooling before it's in any danger of damaging itself. Then there's the vCore. The OC community deemed even with extreme OCing (non liquid oxygen) 1.35V safe for use. Just nothing much above it. 1.23/1.26 is well below that. Its perfectly normal for the CPU component itself (the chip then) to pull more power, after all you're telling it to do a very intensive task, thus it needs more power to do so.

OK thanks.
The CPU's when gaming don't have anywhere near that load. Nor transcoding from the DVD to HD either.
The only time they go "wide open" is HDD to HDD transcoding. (after a FoxRip)
Is the CPU's GPU used for transcoding when the PC has an Nvidia card installed?

-W

it's unusual it only happens with hdd to hdd but that's maybe because both hdd's use a "bus" that connects to the cpu which likely then in turn sais "this traffic aint for me, it's for the gpu". The CPU's gpu part is only used when you select it as such in CloneBD's settings. If quicksync is not selected it uses the cpu itself or the nvidia card if cuda is selected.

it's unusual it only happens with hdd to hdd but that's maybe because both hdd's use a "bus" that connects to the cpu which likely then in turn sais "this traffic aint for me, it's for the gpu". The CPU's gpu part is only used when you select it as such in CloneBD's settings. If quicksync is not selected it uses the cpu itself or the nvidia card if cuda is selected.

The only reason it's hotter HDD to HDD, is that the optical drive is much slower, therefore it "throttles" the I/O to the CPU.
I use DVDShrink rip the Main Movie out and transcode it to 80%. In most cases, I do it direct from the DVD. But in cases where AnyDVD reports structural protections, I rip to folder then process that rip.
It's in those latter cases (going from one fast spinner D:, to another E: ) that I see the temps spike a bit higher.
-W

Last edited:
Back