1. RedFox is offering a Cyber-Monday discount of 20% on all products (except upgrades/renewals), valid until November 30, 2022. If you are entertaining the thought of purchasing one of our products then now is the right time to act!
    Dismiss Notice

350Mb per hour and good quality

Discussion in 'CloneDVD mobile' started by sej7278, Mar 24, 2007.

1. sej7278

sej7278 Well-Known Member

I've seen TV epsiodes from P2P sources - not that I would advocate that of course ;)

Anyway, the majority of them are about 350Mb in size, 608x336, ffmpeg XviD 4 video, and 128kbps MP3 audio. They are excellent quality - I mean practically DVD quality on my 19" screens (when scaled up 200%) they are usually from HD sources.

So I just tried to encode an AnyDVD ripped DVD at 640x360 DivX and moved the quality slider to 17, so it came to about 700Mb (2 hour DVD instead of 1 hour TV should be twice the size) using CloneDVD Mobile latest version. The quality was awful, I mean 1980's game console blocky quality!

As I understand it Mobile uses ffmpeg/mencode to make DivX's (actually XviD) too, so why the big quality difference, are the TV episodes 2 pass or using some hidden setting that improves the quality so much, they're using the same encoder, not DivX6 or anything, and it's not as if Mobile is fast - took 45mins on a 1.5Gb/3GHz P4HT.

2. Scarpad

Scarpad Well-Known Member

Alot of the encodes on the net were sourced from Hi Def Sources, so there's that to start with, and they were probably created from a high quality encoder, multipass. Clonemobile is great for what it is, but you sacrifice some quality and file size for speed.