• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

24P on pal display

mark235

I recently bought a new receiver and noticed that digital audio decoding through the receiver sounds way better than using the analogue outs on my Xonar D2 sound card. However, my projector (Epson TW700) only supports 50 and 60Hz refresh rates, so I require reclock to produce smooth playback of 24P movies.

Question 1: can I switch to digital sound output in my setup without replacing my display device? In other words: can I use digital sound output and somehow still play 24P content smoothly on a 50Hz projector?

I’ve tried setting the Epson to a refresh rate close to a multiple of 23,976, but came across an issue: the Epson accepts custom refresh rates of 47,952 or 71,928, but doesn’t look very good when using it. A single horizontal line moves from the bottom to the top of the screen, resulting in tearing. Disabling reclock while using these custom refresh rates makes the tearing a lot worse. The Epson apparently just doesn’t like anything other than 50 or 60Hz.

Question 2: If the answer to the first question is no, is there a soundcard on the market with 5.1 or 7.1 analogue output that is substantially better than the Xonar D2?

In regards to playing 24fps/23,976fps media on Pal TV, just use 60Hz and the player should do a 3:2 pull down, I know this is not 100% smooth, but this is the best you can do.

@off topic

any information on how you managed to feed epson 700 with the refresh rates you mention?
i managed to feed it with 72hz through my avr (onkyo 807) without any visual lines as those you mention in your case,but i'm afraid that at last although it accepts @72hz it does internally convert/play at @60hz..(i'm using ffdshow to interpolate my 23,976 files to 72fps and that's why i tried to lock my pj at 72hz..)

Back