• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

2 Different File Sizes?

SlyRedB

I always have used AnyDVD make a copy of my discs to my HDD and used MakeMKV to convert them into MKVs and started taking a look at CloneBD. Without converting any audio or video to a lower quality from original, I am coming up with 2 file sizes on the same movie.

I used AnyDVD to copy the move to my HDD. I took MakeMKV and CloneBD and selected the same video and audio settings with 100% quality. MakeMKV came out with a 19.26 gig file while CloneBD (copying to MKV) came out with an 18.69 gig file. Additionally, the CloneBD file added another chapter to the movie.

Any ideas to why this is? I was thinking I'd like to move to CloneBD but I have concerns I am loosing something there. I can confirm that both files do have the same audio between them.

Wrong section, moved. Not a CloneBD issue. This section is reserved for CLBD issues only.

Ideas yes. 2 different programs. 2 different sets of variables they use to do the encoding. The x264 engine has a couple dozen variables with more options per variable. Each affecting the output in their own way. Something like MediaInfo should be able to tell you the exact set of variables (& encoding profile) used by each.

I see. I was just assuming that the actual video and audio files are untouched in anyway if they are at 100% and the outcome with any program is that it will be the same size in the end.

Maybe I am thinking of if incorrectly and need to relate it to ripping CDs where different rippers will have different outcomes of the file size even if they are loseless (flac) rips?

lossless is lossless. As in untouched. with CLBD basic sizing is set by the slider & resolution only. You can't specify a bitrate etc. Then there's the "lossless" option. Every program has it's own approach. What you're doing is comparing apples with oranges. The 2 programs arent even remotely similar.

But if I am using both programs with loseless video/audio shouldn't they be at least closer to the same file size?

There will always be some differences. There's a couple dozen 264 / 265 versions too. Each again with their own tweaks to them on top of the standard variables. The only way you can get an accurate comparison is if u run the SAME JOB multiple times with the SAME program. If you get inconsistent results there could be something off. But you're using 2 different programs, with 2 completely different designs intended for completely different things. Hell, even if they used the exact same build of 264 there's a chance things will come out different solely based on the software code. There's just too many variables.

Okay. Just to confirm then that going with ClondBD even being the smaller the the video and audio (using losess for both) are untouched in being their originally 100% quality?

It should. As i said a few times now, you're comparing 2 completely different programs with an entirely different code base. There's just no valid comparison. There's always gonna be slight differences.

Loss less is loss less
There are no x264 or x265 variables involved
Its a demux with the selected items remuxed into a mkv container

If its loss less then x264 and its builds are irrelevant
There should be no encoding
The only size difference should only be from different tags in the remux

Just ran a test
CloneBD and another program
Movie to MKV intact video, intact audio --- 100% quality --- loss less or however you wish to label it
Final sizes were 20.6 and 20.5 GB. difference is explainable by different tags and rounding
Conclusion same size
@OP -- you are not using 100% quality if you have different sizes ( delta of .6 GB)

That is in what is selected and why I am questioning the size difference.

Video codec: Copy Original (loseless)
Audio codec: Copy Original (loseless)

And I am unable to change the Resulting size.

If I change at least the video to a codec I then can see its actually hitting my system, even CUDA cores being used whereas not the case with Copy Original (loseless).

All I can say is that according to my test, sizes come out consistently
Maybe MakeMKV is adding some padding to the sectors
Check at the MakeMkv forum

CloneBD may delete unnecessary filler data (i. e. many useless 0s) from the video elementary stream. This wouldn't have any impact on the quality of the movie.

There is a slight bug in the current version - may be that:

When having some acceleration device configured (nVidia/Intel/AMD), CloneBD ignores the lossless setting and transcodes anyway.
Workaround for now: disable acceleration, when doing lossless copies.

Will be fixed in the next version.

There is a slight bug in the current version - may be that:

When having some acceleration device configured (nVidia/Intel/AMD), CloneBD ignores the lossless setting and transcodes anyway.
Workaround for now: disable acceleration, when doing lossless copies.

Maybe that was it. I did a test again and while I still see a gig difference I see that CloneBD isn't grabbing one of the DTS tracks this time whereas before I am pretty sure it did. It also processed a lot quicker than it was prior to your suggestion.

I had the same problem to fix this is copy it first with AnyDVD to ISO.
Then use the ISO into CloneBD and copy it as ISO instead I exactly had the same Quality as the Original! ;)

Great Pete.
Then we don't have to use the double space anymore! ;)

Back