• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

1st XP Machine Died Last Thursday And Looking For Replacement

I may be wrong, but I don't think that Sandy-Bridge has a DRM mechanism built in. What it has is more like HDCP (from HDMI) than DRM.

1st XP Alienware machine died last thursday, it made it 8 to 10 years with high mileage, made it thru 2 hard drives, 5 optical drives including 1 Blu-ray, 1 power supply, and 1 motherboard, and has seen at least 100 different software programs.

Cleaned the case out and saved what I could and donated the huge case and 6 cooling fans to my 40 year old sons train club, they store a lot of 12V DC supply units for train functions at shows and displays. ($200. tax write off)

I am bias towards Alienware or Dell high end bare bone machines, since I have had both and I will add the goodies. Have gotten a lot of computer parts from Newegg out of California thru the internet.

Don't really care if its Intell or AMD, just as I don't get what I think is called the Sandy bridge Intell CPU with the DRM protections built into the processor.

Looking for the best price, maybe Windows 7, X64 bit, needs to be able to connect to a dial-up internet, multi-tasking, and of course high end CD and DVD building and burning.

Thanks for any advice or help:agree:

Are you looking for desktop or laptop? If laptop some still have a modem built in and some don't and some desktop you will have to buy a modem pci card and install it and some have those card built in or as addon card to have modem. If you going for inexpensive bang for the buck a AMD would work as well but alot depends on where your locate will depend what parts and hardware you can order where you from. If you want high end well something quad or eight core or i7 would be the way to go.

1st XP Alienware machine died last thursday, it made it 8 to 10 years with high mileage, made it thru 2 hard drives, 5 optical drives including 1 Blu-ray, 1 power supply, and 1 motherboard, and has seen at least 100 different software programs.

My Win98 1GHz machine I bought in 1999 is still going, after several HD changes and quite a number of optical drives. Luckily I never had to change the PS or the mobo since this machine was a Compaq pre-built using AMD's brand new (new when I bought it) 1GHz processor.

One nice thing about the area I live is that there are several PC recycle shops where you can buy bare-bone refurbished PC running XP SP3 for less than US$100. Some can be upgraded, some can't, but for the ones you can upgrade getting a working PC for little money makes it easy to budget for later upgrades.

I am looking for a high-end bare bone desktop, I have the keyboard, mouse, HDMI monitor, and 5.1 speakers.

I took out the old Robotics PC-I slot dial-up modem UsR 5699B, but it won't work with Windows 7. I have a spare Robotics UsR 5610C that will work with Windows 7.

After doing much surfing the web yesterday for a replacement there was a huge selection of Intel i7 processors. But unless I am reading something wrong all the latest generation 3000 type i7 like the 2600K at 3.4ghz or the 2700K at 3.5ghz all have the built in copy protection.

But the copy protection is only working for streaming video at this time.

Alienware website wilh a dial-up modem is almost impossible to look at. And Dell XPS (only two models) has approximately $250. off list price.

With an upgrade to the bare bone XPS to 16GB of ram and a NVIDIA GeFORCE GTS 450 with HDMI is approximately $1000. And, a size case and design I have worked in before. Cyberpowerpc has a model with approximately the same for $1074.

But, still looking and newegg out of California sells a LOT of PC's and shows great feedback from there customers, and a lot of their models are sold out, but they will let you know when they get more in.

That's good to know your keeping what you can to reduce your cost and still be able to get your investments back. But if you can I would at least look at going broadband if you can afford it. If you not liking i7 for that streaming protection I would at least take a look at AMD then unless they plan on doing that as well. I have a quad AMD 3.0 Ph2 and it so far has worked well but I did upgrade the GPU to a GTX460 and might if the prices are good get a GTX560ti as anymore would be out of my range and breaking my bank. But sometimes they have model closeouts that would fit your budget as well so always keep looking on Newegg and Microcenter if you have that there they are a good source of sales as well. I buy alot from Newegg, Amazon and Microcenter when I find a good sale if I catch it in time and sometimes from Ebay or Craiglist for parts if you find a good deal.

Recycle, how do you like your quad core 3.0? I've got a dual core ADM Athlon II 3.0 and so far I've run across only two applications that seem to truly use the multicore support to its fullest potential: GameJackal and something called BOINC that allows for distributed computing.

Ah, the differences between Win98 with a single 1GHz processor and Win 7 with a dual-core 3.0GHz. ;)

Recycle, how do you like your quad core 3.0? I've got a dual core ADM Athlon II 3.0 and so far I've run across only two applications that seem to truly use the multicore support to its fullest potential: GameJackal and something called BOINC that allows for distributed computing.

Ah, the differences between Win98 with a single 1GHz processor and Win 7 with a dual-core 3.0GHz. ;)

Well for one thing W7 will use all core if you change the advance msconfig to use 2 or 4 core but you have to make that change in the msconfig for W7 to take advantage of it. That is what I did when I found out to turn on the quad core so Windows knows it can use all four cores at it's disposal. Well for one thing the more cores the better for the O/S computing by itself helps. And running my quad Ph2 3.0G cores on Neverwinter nights 2 with expansion there is a dramatic increase in game play and smoother video but that I also have the GTX460 that takes some of the graphics game play but a faster and newer cores allows for better communication to the GPU and reduced bottle neck. Plus going from 1G to dual 3.0 core you will see in start and apps launch time decrease as well as be able to multitask and run more apps. But going to more cores you won't always see the returns its the software that will take advantage of it but if you go x64 having more cores will help but won't always been seen. It's like its there but until you tap into needing it you won't immediately see it's results. If you buy a app today as some game and software uses more cores you will see a improvement in game play or more features available to use on apps. Too much rambling but I will say if you can get more cores the better even if you don't use it the more advance the cores the better you computing will be and W7 will use much of it as it can if you permit it for it's running and probably optimize it for it's operations to best take advantage of more resources.

Personally I'd be tempted to buy an ASUS motherboard with onboard AMD e450 dualcore Fusion chip and HD6320 IGP gfx. 129euro and 18w power consumption. Very green for a ripper machine.

P_500.jpg

Last edited:
That one is only $129 Euro's.

Close to my take. I always build with ASUS Motherboards, Intel CPU, Nvidia Graphics, WD drives, and Corsair or Kingston memory.

ASUS has some cool all in ones on their site with Intel too.

-W

Well for one thing W7 will use all core if you change the advance msconfig to use 2 or 4 core but you have to make that change in the msconfig for W7 to take advantage of it.

Really, I thought that that option limited the number of cores to use. If left unchecked (default) it would use all of them.

Are you looking for desktop or laptop? If laptop some still have a modem built in and some don't and some desktop you will have to buy a modem pci card and install it and some have those card built in or as addon card to have modem. If you going for inexpensive bang for the buck a AMD would work as well but alot depends on where your locate will depend what parts and hardware you can order where you from. If you want high end well something quad or eight core or i7 would be the way to go.

Itel doesn't have an 8 core CPU out yet! The latest i7 2nd gen only has six cores.

Personally I'd be tempted to buy an ASUS motherboard with onboard AMD e450 dualcore Fusion chip and HD6320 IGP gfx. 129euro and 18w power consumption. Very green for a ripper machine.

P_500.jpg

I agree with Mike_R, you can't go wrong with an ASUS Motherboards!:rock:

Really, I thought that that option limited the number of cores to use. If left unchecked (default) it would use all of them.

I thought so too but when I looked it was using only one core on W7 when looking at advance setting on msconfig and I changed it to 4 core usage. I don't know if I see it but the task manager does show 4 core but supposely that setting is to get windows to recognized there are 4 cores to use. But since I don't have apps that use more cores I can't say for sure so unless someone has apps that uses multicore processing could say more on this.

Take a gander at this Intel blog.

http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2011/01/intel_insider_-_what_is_it_no/

Myself personally I have built 2 sandy-bridge boxes for home in the past couple weeks. Both using the valentines day release i7 3820.
http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-(10M-Cache-3_60-GHz)

Been using my build to redo my DVD collection, I have not run into any issue with the I-I (intel-insider).
From what I have experienced, I-I is a non issue concerning anything SlySoft utilities would do. When I enable AnyDVD HD then use the various combinations of SlySoft tools, I proceed as normal.

From everything I have read, the I-I is only active when a content provider streams a vid to someone who has rented the vid.
If you use a cpu without the I-I, you are not going to be utilizing the service providers anyway.
So (IMHO) do not let the I-I issue scare you away.
Much of the information I have read is a lot of fuss over if I-I is or is not considered DRM.
Not what it actually will and will not do.

I feel sorta as you do (concerning your machine)
My old system I am typing this on has served me well for quite a few years, an old AMD Phenom 9850 quad on XP Pro.
I have nothing against AMD setups. I have been a hard core AMD'er since 8088 days.

Take a hard look at the newer Intel 2011 socket motherboards.
Such as the DX79SI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121534
also listed under Intel at
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dx79si.html
2ea SATA 6Gb/s, 4 ea SATA 3Gb/s, 4 ea USB 3.0, 8 ea USB 2.0

After I setup the i7 3820 with Win7 and ran the first DVD through it's paces using SlySoft's suite of tools, I was jazzed.

I was amazed how fast I am able to process a DVD. The 6Gb/s SATA is helping a lot on what I do.
I liked the new valentine's day release of the i7 chip and decided to go with that for a few years. The 2011 socket board also gives me a decent upgrade option after prices go down in a year or two.

Word of note, what ever board and cpu you decide on, check the motherboard diagram against your case connectors.
Some of the newer boards have a USB 3.0 (dual port) socket that is not the same pin configuration as the older 2.0 front panel lead outs.
If it is the newer single USB 3.o dual port socket, you need to get a case which has the front USB ports listed as 3.0.

IMHO I would also go SATA 6Gb/s on your OS boot and working drives, Quad channel memory with at least 4 sticks if applicable..
Make sure you double check the specs for the mobo/CPU against the power supply.

What ever you build, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Back