• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blank dvd quality

freddyy99

I was wondering if there can be a significant difference in quality from 1 batch of the same type of blank to the next?
I use Verb datalife +r, and while I used to have PIE average around 5 or 6, I now have an average around 20.
Also,how important is the PIE level....where should it be..and does a difference between 5 and 20 matter very much?
Thanks for all your help, and I LOVE Slysoft products and preach their virtues to all who will listen!!
Keep up the great work!!!

How the discs are made is a factor. I use Sony DVD-R with Accucore and they work great.

It is not unusual to run across bad batches of media but not at all common with Verbatim. If you purchase them from a reputable business, they should make them good. I get mine, mostly, from Newegg (100 pk 16X DVD+R for $35 + change-including shipping) I have yet to get any bad ones.

@oldjoe..........
Check Sam's Club. Their printable Verbs are that price. I think their regular ones are a little cheaper. I use them, and they are just fine. My stepfather buys them, for me to record movies off the tv for him, on the dvd recorder. When I get a dvd that uses both sides (no label to scan and print), I use one of his Verbs. :)
Just an idea, to save you a couple of bucks. If you're like me, every penny saved, helps.............

@oldjoe..........
Check Sam's Club. Their printable Verbs are that price. I think their regular ones are a little cheaper. I use them, and they are just fine. My stepfather buys them, for me to record movies off the tv for him, on the dvd recorder. When I get a dvd that uses both sides (no label to scan and print), I use one of his Verbs. :)
Just an idea, to save you a couple of bucks. If you're like me, every penny saved, helps.............

I got some inkjet printable Verbatims at Sams Club, even though I like the hub printables ones better and Sams Club near my house doesnt carry the hub printable, just the regular printable ones.

Thank you for the suggestion jvc. The nearest Sam's club is about 50 miles from me so I don't get there too often. My son does buy his at Sam's. I buy a lot of parts from Newegg so it's easier for me to include them with another order.

use Verb datalife +r,

Were both batches the same speed rate?

What speed are they?

Those Verbatim +16x are very sweet. MCC-004 is their MID code. I get the fewest PIE/PIF errors when burning them at 8x and 12x. The errors will add up the slower you burn these.Beware of burning them below 4x-then the crc errors will add up.

MCC-003: These are the +8x and are very good

Now on their older +4x media,they've used MCC-002 and Ricohjpn-quite a bit of difference between the 2.

I've had really good luck with Sony blanks. I used to use really cheap ones from Fry's. Way too many bad ones! Stick with "Name" brands and you should be fine.:D

Thanks for all your advice.
I have been using Verbatim 8x Dvd+r. All of my burns have been good. I was really just asking about the relative difference in PIE errors from 1 batch to the next of the same type of disc.
I guess I'm being a bit too finicky, I have been accused of being too anal about my dvd burning.
I was really trying to find out how important a small difference in PIE errors were. Is an average of 20 considered good?
Thanks again everyone!

20 PIF errors should put your score in the 70's?

I avg scores of 95-96 using sonyD21,Ty-g03,Mcc-004 and Ritek-R03. Anywhere from 4-8 pif errors. I forget how nero's scoring system goes.It starts out at 99,after 1-2 pifs-drops to 98 and continues on down as the pif errors rise.

51 PIFailures=33 score-avoid Prodisc R05, LOL
22=73 score
8-9=95
5-6=97
12=93
14=92

You can't go by those scans,but they give you a general idea of the errors in them. Take my first Benq 1650. I'd get a huge spike at the 2 gb mark and the score drops 10 pts. Same backup using my benq 1620,no spike at the 2 gb mark. 2 lasers,1 for reading,and other for writing. It even shows the same 2 gb spike from my Plextor backups.

I've had nero disc quality scan scores in the mid 70's and still almost perfect playback. Now that 33 score on the prodisc,definite coaster city.

20 PIF effors should be no biggie.Make sure they play ok in your stand alone player. If you want to really see how they check out,re-rip one of those backups back onto your harddrive. If you can do that and avoid crc errors,the backups are ok.

Try some discs that's on the bottom of the spindle you are currently working on.:)

Wait till you get the +16x verbs. I thought the +8x were awesome.The 16x are even better.

Thanks for all your advice.
I have been using Verbatim 8x Dvd+r. All of my burns have been good. I was really just asking about the relative difference in PIE errors from 1 batch to the next of the same type of disc.
I guess I'm being a bit too finicky, I have been accused of being too anal about my dvd burning.
I was really trying to find out how important a small difference in PIE errors were. Is an average of 20 considered good?
Thanks again everyone!
I have tried plenty of the Verb 8x+ and dash media, the batches vary greatly ( at least in my experience ). Some that I got from Best Buy about a year ago in 50 spindles were great and then the 100 spindles from Newegg were so-so. I have never been lucky enough to get the same batch of the really good ones. But then again I find it the same with the Verb 16X media. Hit and Miss. :D

I've been using Fujifilm DVD-R's exclusively from the beginning. ANY coasters I've gotten were traced to a failed drive or operator error. Best Buy has them on sale regularly at $25 for 100 and/or $12.99 for 50. They are rated for 16x and I burn them at 8x - NEVER a problem.

-W

I have burned in the neighborhood of 1000 TYG-02 and around 200 TYG-03 inkjet printable Discs without a single bad burn.
They were all purchased from newegg.com and I did not buy the valueline disks.
Most were burned on a Nec 3500a burner at 8x.
Probably 10% were burned on a LiteOn 1693.
I normally buy them in spindles of 100 and they have all been consistantly high quality discs.

Back