• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ArcSoft TotalMedia (English Version) Availability

So if this is a beta version before the final release, then I would say this is a very decent beta.

They probably won't support the program until its "officialy" on the website so asking about BD+ compatibility probably won't get answered.

The download link was most likely put up by mistake. I was able to register the product which registers like a retail product. When i click on the link by that product, it takes me to a webpage with the following:

Sorry, but a download version is not yet available for this title. Please visit again later

So DigitalFreak found us an easter egg as I can't even google my may to that page.

Thanks again Digital.

Can't wait for the final version as it looks like it's gonna be a PwrDVD killer.

ArcSoft TotalMedia Trial, first Impressions

Just tried it out. My comments:

Bad things:
1.) Memory and CPU hog, worse than PowerDVD (and that means something)
2.) Video Hardware Acceleration doesn't work (at least with ATI2600 cards), making it a showstopper for me.
3.) Without Video Hardware acceleration, it is unusable. CPU maxes out even with 2.6GHz Core2 Duo. Stuttering, sound problems.
Haven't checked further on quality, as this is useless without hardware acceleration.
4.) No BD+ playback from harddisk / non AACS protected discs (AnyDVD running), but that was expected.
5.) DVD playback doesn't work (program hangs)
6.) Keyboard shortcuts didn't work (Page up/down)
EDIT:
7.) Advanced subtitles on French HD DVD discs don't work (same Problem as PowerDVD)

Good things:
1.) Plays from harddisk folder (HD DVD & BD, no BD+)
2.) Plays from disc with AnyDVD, no HDCP required (HD DVD & BD, no BD+)

IMHO the program is at its current state ... unusable. Maybe it works better with NVidia cards.

Last edited:
James- Brian Binnerup is about to implement iso suppport for hidef disks in MyMovies. Will ISOs solve the problem with hard disk playback? Also- all this BD+ crap not allowing hard disk playback- i hope you hav ea fix for this! :(

James- Brian Binnerup is about to implement iso suppport for hidef disks in MyMovies. Will ISOs solve the problem with hard disk playback?
Ask Brian, he knows why he is doing this... my guess is yes.

Also- all this BD+ crap not allowing hard disk playback
It works fine with PowerDVD 3104, 3319, 3319a. From files, from disc, from isos.

I guess different setups will give different results. I get only 9 percent CPU utilitzation with an ATI2600XT. Also, the only problem i've had is with BD+ titles, they just won't play. Every other DVD and HD DVD/Blu Ray title has played.

I agree, i was a bit disappointed with the BD+ support, but i'm hopeful they will get the bugs worked out by final release.

Hey James,
For standard DVD playback, I forgot to mention that you have to click on the Video TS folder if you have one in the DVD folder for the OK button to be active.

Maybe that's why you could't play your normal DVD's.

Just something that I noticed. Alot of the style of this software looks like PowerDVD, down to the menu when you right click on the move when it is playing. Looks in many ways like a PowerDVD clone. Anyone else notice that. Oh well, as long as it works and does what it advertises, i'm satified.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I just got home so hopefully I'll be able to play with this on my setup in a bit.

:confused:
Just tried it out. My comments:

Bad things:
1.) Memory and CPU hog, worse than PowerDVD (and that means something)
2.) Video Hardware Acceleration doesn't work (at least with ATI2600 cards), making it a showstopper for me.
3.) Without Video Hardware acceleration, it is unusable. CPU maxes out even with 2.6GHz Core2 Duo. Stuttering, sound problems.
Haven't checked further on quality, as this is useless without hardware acceleration.
4.) No BD+ playback from harddisk / non AACS protected discs (AnyDVD running), but that was expected.
5.) DVD playback doesn't work (program hangs)
6.) Keyboard shortcuts didn't work (Page up/down)
EDIT:
7.) Advanced subtitles on French HD DVD discs don't work (same Problem as PowerDVD)

Good things:
1.) Plays from harddisk folder (HD DVD & BD, no BD+)
2.) Plays from disc with AnyDVD, no HDCP required (HD DVD & BD, no BD+)

IMHO the program is at its current state ... unusable. Maybe it works better with NVidia cards.
Works a treat,wont play certain discs,(28 weeks later,fan4 2 )with or without anydvd but on the other hand i can play all discs between the 2 players ,lovely interface,you can turn on/off hardware acceleration in setup.
i dont get the hdcp,is it the nvidia 8600gts thats causing the error message of no hdcp present when anydvd is off,because both my tv and projector are hdcp compliant .:confused:

In my system hardware acceleration works. I use actually an nvidia geforce 7950.
CPU at aprox 30% on my pc. As aspected.

Here's some initial results from my evaluation of the Arcsoft beta on my home rig

RIG: C2D 2.7 XP home, Nvidia 8500GT
S/W: Nero 8+BD/Powerdvd 7.3.x/Arcsoft beta 2.1.6.105
Region: Europe

Blu-ray from optical disk:
Fantastic Four sequel (BD+): pass 85 percent cpu without DXVA but v.good
Layer Cake: pass

HD-dvd from optical disk:
Matrrix reloaded: pass
Miami vice pass:

HD-dvd from hard-drive folder:
several titles: passed

Blu-Ray from hard-drive folder:
not tested yet

HD-DVD individual .EVO file:
Video great, no sound

Blu-Ray individual .m2ts file:
Not tested yet

ISO image playback: not tested yet

Switch off hardware acceleration and it actually switches off: yes, dynamic in-movie alteration possible which is nice.

Codec efficiency without DxVA: High, at leastequal to powerdvd but much better than Nero.

Look and feel: excellent UI, smooth slick and trustworthy.

reliability: excellent, feels robust and responsive wheras powerdvd has always felt like it's about to break any minute and then does.

I've only spent a couple of hours so far, and there is much more testing still to do, but my initial reaction is to breathe a sigh of relief and welcome this new player to a very narrow marketplace. Arcsoft here is every bit as good as the latest powerdvd builds, if not better in terms of reliability and smooth with it. The UI is glossy and makes powerdvd look a bit tacky although this is not the cosmetics that matter.

Video playback is lovely and crips, with slightly different contrast to cyberlink. The inky, velvety blacks of Powerdvd give way to more gray scales with Arcsoft but there's not much in it for video quality.

Audio is good, but no quadrophonic option on Arcsoft (probably only me that cares about that though)

For a first release this is a triumph. The only criticism, which is not necessarily a negative, is that it resembles powerdvd and nero showtime very closely in terms of the UI basic design, player features, information available, OSD, and the menu structures. The features offered are almost identical to these players but why mess with an industry standard???

However, making this player directly comparable to the competition is not a bad thing, as nobody wanted a brand new INNOVATIVE player packed with new features, we just need a RELIABLE player and that's what this looks like. It got from the front to the back of Fantastic Four Surfer Blu-ray without a single hiccup and that is good enough for me.

All in all, the Arcsoft player looks like what cyberlink could have come up with had they not spent the last year creating new functionality with one hand and taking existing functionality away with the other. I understand that cyberlink were under pressure from the studios, but now they are under a far worse type of presssure: strong competition!

I've installed this on two different computers (one with Windows 2000, one with Windows XP). Both computers crash when I attempt to run the software! Note that neither has a HD-capable drive installed.

Hey James,
For standard DVD playback, I forgot to mention that you have to click on the Video TS folder if you have one in the DVD folder for the OK button to be active.

Maybe that's why you could't play your normal DVD's.
I figured that out, but when playback starts, the program crashes. Will do more testing...

I guess different setups will give different results. I get only 9 percent CPU utilitzation with an ATI2600XT.
Hmm, I have to do some research why it isn't accelerating with my ATI2600XT. I use Catalyst 7.10, because 7.11 and 7.12 are ... really bad (upscaled SD DVD playback looks horrible).

EDIT: I switched the refresh rate from 24Hz to 60Hz, and the program behaved much better. Still no hardware acceleration, but much less CPU load (it previously used a lot of kernel time). So, 24Hz output doesn't work (at least not with ATI2600XT). Works perfectly fine with PowerDVD.

Last edited:
Just tried this on my Medion 6486pc (E6750 Dual core with Nvidia 8500GT) - No probs - Nothing between this and PDVD (Did notice image capture works on HD + Bluray, bet that'll change) - Is this a trial or for keeps? Will it expire if so when? :clap:

Does anyone know if it uses VMR9 or Overlay on XP?

VMR9 would be nice, because I desperately want to tweak Gamma (better shadow detail on my CRT projector).

Powerdvd doesn't have a Gamma control, the desktop Gamma doesn't work as Powerdvd uses Overlay, and the AVIVO controls don't work with Powerdvd...GRR.

Does Arcsoft have a Gamma control?

And does Reclock load with it?

Does anyone know if it uses VMR9 or Overlay on XP?

VMR9 would be nice, because I desperately want to tweak Gamma (better shadow detail on my CRT projector).

Powerdvd doesn't have a Gamma control, the desktop Gamma doesn't work as Powerdvd uses Overlay, and the AVIVO controls don't work with Powerdvd...GRR.

Does Arcsoft have a Gamma control?

And does Reclock load with it?

There are some sliders for color, brightness, etc. under Advanced on the Video menu, but they're grayed out for me. Can't tell if one is Gamma or not.

Here's some initial results from my evaluation of the Arcsoft beta on my home rig

RIG: C2D 2.7 XP home, Nvidia 8500GT
S/W: Nero 8+BD/Powerdvd 7.3.x/Arcsoft beta 2.1.6.105
Region: Europe

Blu-ray from optical disk:
Fantastic Four sequel (BD+): pass 85 percent cpu without DXVA but v.good
Layer Cake: pass

HD-dvd from optical disk:
Matrrix reloaded: pass
Miami vice pass:

HD-dvd from hard-drive folder:
several titles: passed

Blu-Ray from hard-drive folder:
not tested yet

HD-DVD individual .EVO file:
Video great, no sound

Blu-Ray individual .m2ts file:
Not tested yet

ISO image playback: not tested yet

Switch off hardware acceleration and it actually switches off: yes, dynamic in-movie alteration possible which is nice.

Codec efficiency without DxVA: High, at leastequal to powerdvd but much better than Nero.

Look and feel: excellent UI, smooth slick and trustworthy.

reliability: excellent, feels robust and responsive wheras powerdvd has always felt like it's about to break any minute and then does.

Blu-Ray: Played War and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest just fine from ISO.

HD DVD: Transformers wouldn't play from ISO. Kept dumping me back to the main Arcsoft screen as soon as I hit play. I have a feeling it has something to do with the Web Connect thing when you load the movie.

Just a reminder to everyone - this looks to be a beta, though I'm not sure why it was up on their site as a trial. According to the Vidabox guy, the upcoming release version is MUCH better. I'm actually kinda sorry that I posted about it over on AVSForum, as a lot of folks over there don't seem to be as up-to-speed technical wise as people here.

As for those asking about Overlay vs EVR, he's trying to find out.

Cyberlink should be very, very afraid. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Back